Not sure if this is possible... But less patterny- shaders?

I am a shader-holic and I use them a lot, but I find with quite a few of them, that they are quite obviously a repetitive pattern.  This is particularly noticible in wall tiling for some reason.

I'm wondering gif its posisble to make shaders that are larger.... So the pattern repeats less often?

Yes, I know I can tile them to be bigger and smaller, but for example if the pattern has irregularity you might see the pattern over and over again.

Comments

• Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,758

I assume you mean that you used the Vetical Tile and Horizontal Tile settings to make them "tile less" and each tile to be bigger, but you're saying the tile shapes are too repetitive? When I set them to 1 (I think the default is 5) you get 1 big tile covering the surface.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,602
    edited March 2018

i am wondering if the tile sampling can be larger so the repetition isn’t nearly as often

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513

Yes, it's possible to do this.

I find it more obvious in architectural shaders than cloth or liquid.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

Make the repeating vertical or repeating horizontal a fraction of 1 or a multiple of 1 to enlarge or shrink a tile.

There is only so much you can enlarge something and have it look realistic and not repetitive.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,961

That’s largely why I developed OMS1, with procedural shading.

It might not exactly be what you want, but I encourage you to check it out:

https://www.daz3d.com/oso-master-shader1-for-iray

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

There is only so much you can enlarge something and have it look realistic and not repetitive.

Well ideally you'd introduce a bit of noise per tile, however procedurally that is time-consuming and costly but if you do it with more images then the problem is you need a lot of images to avoid the moire effect and that is expensive in storage space.

I guess the only way to avoid it would be to also avoid making textures that have a distinctive repetitive element. I've seen bricks that do okay so I know repeating is fine... But if its a stone wall shader, and there is one stone that is a distinctive odd shape, it can throw the render off if you see it over-and-over again.

Thanks Will, I'll check those out.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,961

I’ve tinkered with brick generators, but it’s hard to make it come out as convincing as textures.

I’ve also experimented with various schemes to get different scale patterns or alternating patterns, but at this point I think the only way to avoid catching patterns is some form of procedural generation.

edited March 2018

Yeah. I’m a huge fan of those white washed bricks interior walls but whenever I use shaders to make that look my eyes get a bit mesmerized but the pattern... when in real life it wouldn’t bug my vision.

I even dislike stucco wall pattern shaders.. I think it’s partly because Iray renders shadows deeper than true so a stucco texture which shouldnt be visible at a distance is too articulated and looks like black  bits where the tiny bumps are.. In truth the shadow should probably be smoothing that out to be a solid color.

If you don’t depth of field your render the dark repeating pattern becomes kind of painful. It can even be so with depth of field...

I am wary now of the architectural shaders because if it.... they are convenient to spruce up an old set but a little does go a long way.

Hmm.. wonder if a set of less detailed textures. Might work... blurry or something. Like bricks close up and distant bricks?

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,041

do what Stonemason does

use masks 

then you can use several texture maps spread over the whole item according to the pattern of the mask

you probably need Oso's shader if you don't want to play with bricks and nodes though

I do this in Carrara a lot but a bit clueless how to do it in studio with shadermixer  I am afraid 

I wouldn't know where  to begin with that I'm afraid.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,041

I wouldn't know where  to begin with that I'm afraid.

maybe repurpose one of Stonemason's swapping out the maps enlightened

Winter castle terrain a good start if you have it

save the shader then apply it to a primitive or that iray ball prop and experiment with different maps and save the ones you like