Supporting more options for Second Life

Hi all, I am sorry if this has been discussed before, but a quick search hasn't revealed anything.  For those that don't know, Second Life is a 3D world filled with moving, talking avatars and people who love mesh items because they are more realistic than the options provided in the game. Clothing is excpetionally big when it comes to meshed items. I was wondering if there was an option to creat mesh clothing for Second Life within DAZ studio. I have used DAZ for years with animations because it is so quick and simple, I refuse to use any other program. I even teach others how to use the program. Because animation is so quick and easy, I was hoping creating clothing was equally quick and easy. I have so many ideas and requests for clothing, with no way to create them. I have tried my hand at Blender, but it is very difficult to learn and at this point in my life, I simply don't have time to spend weeks learning.

With that being said, I am also requesting the use of Bento animations. Second Life has come up with a new avatar called Bento. This skeleton has many more points including hind legs, tail, and facial expressions. In my animations clases, I have been asked if DAZ is capable of Bento animations. On the Second Life Wiki page, DAZ studio is not listed as supported. I am hoping you may open the door to this community. There are many good designers out there who would love to look for new options. Keep the price competitive to that of Blender, and you should do very well. I for one, would consider purchasing a progrm where I could do both animations and clothing quickly and easily. 

Comments

• Unfortuantely the EULA, even the Interactive Addition, does not allow the use of Daz content in Second Life. You could of course use content that did have a license permitting use in Second Life in DS, as it is a content licensing issue not an application licensing issue.

As for the Bento item, it might be possible to get it into DS and then - as noted above - its use woudl be governed by the bento license.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,722

Considering that the second Life TOS states that anything created for it is now their property, I doubt you will see any support for it at DAZ

from their TOS

you agree to grant to Linden Lab, the non-exclusive, unrestricted, unconditional, unlimited, worldwide, irrevocable, perpetual, and cost-free right and license to use, copy, record, distribute, reproduce, disclose, modify, display, publicly perform, transmit, publish, broadcast, translate, make derivative works of, and sell, re-sell or sublicense (through multiple levels)(with respect to each Product or otherwise on the Service as permitted by you through your interactions with the Service), and otherwise exploit in any manner whatsoever, all or any portion of your User Content (and derivative works thereof), for any purpose whatsoever in all formats, on or through any media, software, formula, or medium now known or hereafter developed, and with any technology or devices now known or hereafter developed, and to advertise, market, and promote the same.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,041

if you can export the Bento avatar as an FBX Poser 11 pro could probably import it 

DAZ studio FBX import is somewhat lacking 

I don't use secondlife so cannot answer any questions but I know Poser can import a lot of other stuff rigged and animated and then save it as a cr2 and pz2 animated pose and it often works in DAZ studio after converting to weighmapping and saving as a duf asset too.

I have done so with Fuse, Mixamo and iClone characters.

• agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513

You can definitely import an SL avatar and create animations, then export as BVH. There are people who have done this.

As for rigging clothing models, you could rig your model to match the avatar in DAZ Studio, then export as a collada file. However, I don't know whether the result will actually be functional (and you would have to rig your own clothing model, you could not use something bought from the DAZ store).

Most people use Blender for SL stuff.