So when's the update?

ManStanManStan Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I know we will be getting an update to the C8.5 beta, the question is how soon?

With in a week?

If you have tried to use G2 in C8.5 you will see why. ;)

Comments

• ProPoseProPose Posts: 527
    edited December 1969

I think they said "end of summer", but I could be wrong. An update or at least some info would be nice

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I'm not referring to the release; end of summer on which planet? But to something I see as quite obvious that will necessitate an immediate update to C8.5.

Yes it is me, things I see as obvious seem to be over looked by many. Or am I one of the very, very few trying to work with G2 in carrara; which should tell DAZ something, but I doubt they are listening.

I'm not going to leave a hint as to why. I'll wait to see just what other carraraest are trying to use G2 in C8.5. If there isn't half a dozen guesses by noon, I'd say it spells the doom of G2 in carrara.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Do you know Stan it is possible to use the beta as it is meant to be used, and actually file a bug report on anything that you find in it rather than just dropping hints in the forum.

That is what public beta releases are all about, after all.

edited December 1969

I don't work for DAZ, DAZ works for me, that is what I am paying for.

None the less the question is for carraraests.

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,677
    edited June 2013

Not sure if it's what you are speaking of, but I have come across an issue, can't seem to replicate it, seems to happen randomly. Sometimes when I try to inject poses or expressions, it acts like it is working(get the quick loading bar), then nothing happens. Instead of injecting the pose, it puts what seems to be a null with the same name of the pose into the scene list. Not sure if it happened with genesis 1 though, I really didn't use it much in carrara. Also seen it happen with material poses as well as character poses now.

Post edited by TheKD on
  • SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

ManStan said:

If you want bugs addressed without reporting them properly, you really shouldn't be using the beta at all - no matter what it offers that you find nice!

I don't.

edited December 1969

It's not a bug. It's not broke, it's a feature that needs updating to accommodate a new figure. I'd like to think DAZ is well aware of it.

• tbwoqtbwoq Posts: 238
    edited December 1969

The, fit incompatible item 'Convert' dialog dropdown menus?

• TerritanTerritan Posts: 76
    edited December 1969

ManStan said:

If you were working just with the non-beta versions, that argument might hold water.

If Carrara were offered on a subscription model and for some perverse reason Daz sent you a pre-release version for everyday use, that argument might hold water.

If Daz said that every user of 8.1 should upgrade to 8.5 and leave 8.1 behind, and 8.5's betaness was a surprise, that argument might hold water.

But a funny thing happened when you grabbed the beta. You entered into a sort of social contract with Daz. At that point, you stopped being simply a customer who could get away with that argument and started working with them. (In theory.)

And the terms of the contract? You continue using the software the way you would, but you accept that it might not all work right, and if something does need fixing, you'll tell them about it (and that's what Mantis is for). In return, they'll deal with the issues people find (prioritized according to severity and frequency), and ensure that changes get into both later iterations of the beta and the next release version.

(Side note for those who know me: I managed to type that last paragraph with a straight face, but through a lot of it I was shaking my head.)

edited June 2013

Try autofit doesn't work with G2. Something that is immediate and obvious. As in the autofit in carrara doesn't know from G1 or G2.
    An example. Open G2, drop on some V4 clothes, menu pops us up and you only choice for conversion is from G1. Drop on G1 clothes and the conversion menu doesn't come up. Meaning there is no way to cloth G2 in carrara right now. Something DAZ might want to update ASAP.

I'm really surprised something this blatant, wasn't obvious to any trying to use G2 in C8.5.

Territan there are issues with me filing bug reports with DAZ, so I don't, it's a waste of my time. You on the other hand, DAZ may listen too and/or take seriously.

Post edited by ManStan on
    edited December 1969

That's what I meant in my last reply. The conversion menu for G2 is missing support atm. So at least one person saw it, and I barley use content in Carrara...but I agree, surprised others didn't say something right away. I do have bug reports that get resolved though, and the best we can do is to continue reporting bugs/features and leave notes.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,045
    edited December 1969

ManStan said:
    I know we will be getting an update to the C8.5 beta, the question is how soon?

With in a week?

If you have tried to use G2 in C8.5 you will see why. ;)

\SOON
    edited December 1969

Oh, having not used genesis much in carrara, I wasn't aware that a menu was supposed to pop up. Yeah, autofit doesn't work in carrara for G2, just tried a few different G1 outfits for a scene I am doing :(

Just one more reason on the list to consider returning G2 and V6 and stick to the real genesis I guess.

edited December 1969

TheKD said:
    Oh, having not used genesis much in carrara, I wasn't aware that a menu was supposed to pop up. Yeah, autofit doesn't work in carrara for G2, just tried a few different G1 outfits for a scene I am doing :(

Just one more reason on the list to consider returning G2 and V6 and stick to the real genesis I guess.

That is questionable. DAZ needs to make up their mind which figure they are going with. As I said, my opinion is contrary to what has been posted, I really do not see DAZ developing 2 different genesi. Ether it was a screw up marketing this as Geneis 2 and not the new Victoria 6, or a screw up claiming DAZ will continue to develop genesis; but then that begs the question of what to call the next genesis build. DAZ sort of boxed it's self in calling this genesis 2 then claiming it would continue to develop genesis 1.

I mean are we going to have a genesis B, and a genesis 2 Mike. Then have genesis C and the genesis 2 family?

edited December 1969

oh I hope not, it's already confusing as hell the way it is lol.

• TerritanTerritan Posts: 76
    edited December 1969

ManStan said:
    Territan there are issues with me filing bug reports with DAZ, so I don't, it's a waste of my time. You on the other hand, DAZ may listen too and/or take seriously.

(insert literal rolling on floor laughing here)

Remember me? The guy who'd been saying that Carrara behaves like it's got a steaming funk of code-smells under the hood and could benefit from a major ground-up rebuild and/or refactoring? The guy who'd been saying that a beta test is the second worst time to add features, right behind the release candidate? The guy who'd never bought into version 8 in the first place because I was scared away by early bug reports in the release version (and incidentally won't buy into 8.x now because my operating system is too new for it)? The guy who is gravely concerned because the 8.5 beta is proudly touting compatibility with Mac OS 10.6, 10.7, and 10.8, and planning its release for about the time 10.9 comes out? (Yeah, it's been announced, and third party devs already have their SDKs.)

I haven't looked at the bug tracker lately, but I think I have open bugs in there from 7 that are old enough to wear big-kid pants and eat solid food. Admittedly, I'm curious...

(looks for Mantis...)

...nope, Daz is on Zendesk now. I'm betting the baby got thrown out with the dishwater, and sadly that's not the mixed metaphor that it sounds like. I'm not an active Carraraist at the moment. I'd kind of like to be, because it's a Tool I Know. This is why I'm sticking around for news and reports, and wondering if I can push others to push the product in the right directions, because I've got no recourse of my own.

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,716
    edited December 1969

Stan - did you buy/install the V4 conversion for G2/V6? Just wondered because you need it to fit V4 cloths on G2, and to use V4 UV's. I'd test to see if it shows up in 8.5, but unfortunately I'm stuck at work baby sitting a d@#n web server that's trying to dye ;-(

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

The V4 shapes has some auto-fit enhancements... but many work well already. The artist lists the auto-fit enhancements in the "What's Included" on the product page

edited June 2013

No, I spent what I was going to on Genesis. Maybe when DAZ makes up their minds which way they are going with Genesis, I'll invest some in it. Although $11 ain't bad, and tomorrow is my birthday; DAZ I have animate 2 on my wish list.

None the less the issue isn't V4 cloths on G2. It's that G1 clothes aren't recognized/wont convert.
    I thought I could just double jump the conversion, as in convert from V4 to genesis in studio, save then open in carrara and have autofit convert from G1 to G2. Nope. As it stands Studio is practically a must have to work with genesis 2; or genesis for that matter, in carrara.

Carrara's auto fit does not recognize G1 clothes as wrong and in need of conversion to G2, so auto fit never opens.

I know DAZ doesn't listen to me, but I think they should be worried about this lackluster interest in genesis 2 in carrara. I mean this really is a very obvious issue, yet look at how few carraraests are aware of it.

edited December 1969

Let me see if I'm following the information correctly. I'm still new to working with Genesis/V4(etc.) content in general.

To manually fit G1 clothes on G2 in Carrara. I import(or drag), the clothes item(s) in the scene separate. Then, select the clothes items Animation Group name in the instance list and use the Animation->Fit to..., or the General tab->Animation Group drop down menu. Then select, Genesis 2 Female.

So is the G1, or other, needing hierarchy structure or presets updates for Carrara to do this automatically?

edited December 1969

Usually I just drag it right onto the figure, and it conforms automatically. I tried the animation group one for G2, didn't work any better , same result both ways.

Doc3.jpg
    640 x 480 - 9K
    Doc2.jpg
    640 x 480 - 17K
    edited June 2013

tbwoq said:
    Let me see if I'm following the information correctly. I'm still new to working with Genesis/V4(etc.) content in general.

To manually fit G1 clothes on G2 in Carrara. I import(or drag), the clothes item(s) in the scene separate. Then, select the clothes items Animation Group name in the instance list and use the Animation->Fit to..., or the General tab->Animation Group drop down menu. Then select, Genesis 2 Female.

So is the G1, or other, needing hierarchy structure or presets updates for Carrara to do this automatically?

I'm thinking DAZ just needs to update autofit in the C8.5 beta. That is why I would like to think we will be getting an update to the beta sooon. lol

Best way i have found to put G1 clothes on G2 is to do it in Studio.