Installing Bryce Pro 7.1 - getting Bryce PLE 7

SyndarylSyndaryl Posts: 521
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

Bryce always makes me feel like a fish out of water, but I'm taking a stab at fixing that. I just noticed I had Bryce 7 PLE installed - but I have a license for 7.1 pro (I think I got it in a bundle). So I figured I'd download it and try to tackle this software again.

I downloaded Bryce_7.1.0.109_Win32.exe and when I installed it it asked to uninstall my previous version, which is right... but then when I fire it up I get PLE again. The only other program I got was Lightning, which looks to be a network rendering node sort of thing? Useful, but not unless I can get the actual program running.

Help this N00b, how do I get PLE off and Pro on?

Comments

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

Both the ple and the pro version are same, the only difference is the serial number you are using. Look into your Daz account and see if you have a Pro serial number. Bryce used to be totally free, but now it has a small price tag of $19 or os and maybe even cheaper with platinum club discount. But hopefully you already have a pro serial number in your account. Best of luck!!

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,255
    edited December 1969

Hey Syndaryl, nice to see you in the Bryce forum. There is only one Bryce 7.1.0.109, it's the serial number that makes it to PLE, Standard or Pro. Just enter the new serial. There may linger a hidden file "Bryce70.dta" in the Bryce main folder which has still the PLE serial. Enter the new serial Help > Serial. You can also move .Bryce70.dta to another location on your HD, then you're prompted for the serial when Bryce starts the first time.

Note that once the serial is entered, you have to quit and restart Bryce to get to the Pro.

Yes, Lightning is the network render client. You can install it on all computers on your network, Bryce itself is not needed.

And then, you should have got also quite a bundle of content. Just tell us if you need more information.

• SyndarylSyndaryl Posts: 521
    edited December 1969

Aha, ok. It has my PLE serial number in there. It's being stubborn about getting it out, but I'll evict the DTA and try again.

While messing around I finally managed to get all the way through a very very basic workflow and render... something. Mostly sky. Actually, nearly entirely sky, with a tiny bit of land, so clearly I need to place my 360 pano camera better. Once I wrap my head around the units :)

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,255
    edited December 1969

Great! There are two units: degrees (°) and BU = Bryce Units, they go to 3 decimal places and are exactly what you make them: a mile, a metre, an astronomical unit or a micrometer. Think first how large your scene is going to be and decide what measure and unit you will assign to a BU. For landscapes, 1.000 BU = 1 m is quite good and you make the terrain 1000.000 or a km large. For an indoor, you'll decide to make 1 BU a foot or one decimeter. You'll figure it out.

• SyndarylSyndaryl Posts: 521
    edited December 1969

I gave the DTE the boot and it likes my serial number now. And now I have a teeeeny tiny little HDR environment map for lighting in LUX hurray! Now to settle in with the Bryce Basics tutorials all afternoon :)