File location of object/vertex model once changed

SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Stupid question. I thought I found the location once in DAZ Apps/Roaming/Temp or something, like a file with a very long alpha-numberic .obj filename. Bear with me....am not good at explaining this!

If I load up a V4 (with or without full ++ morphs) and use the Parameter controls in the Assemble room to change her body and face, they don't show when you go to the Model room to view the obj. OK I can understand that those controls are living in a location in the programme and only get saved as part of the .car file. Where did they create a new obj file?

I know there is an obj file somewhere because if I want to grow hair, eg, then the hair group V4's body that I am about to paint hair on looks like the morphed model I made with the Parameter/Controls in Assemble.

And THEN... if I go into the Model room and mess about with the obj (eg make legs shorter) then it shows up there and in Assemble AND is there when I next open the file and go to the Model room. So where is it? Driving me nuts.

I think if I export my file as obj, I can bring it back in, but I'd lose the Parameter controls for morphing in the Assemble room...
but will that happen anyways if I do find the actual obj file where it is "hiding" and do something to it, even if I re-save it in its assigned location?

Sorry to be confusing.... but am I hallucinating?

Cheers, Silene

Comments

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,677
    edited December 1969

Actually, I wanted to point out that you can edit dialed up and posed characters in the model room. You have to turn on animation mode
    As for the rest, I can't help, because I can't figure out exactly what you mean lol.

animationmaode.jpg
    253 x 193 - 54K
  • TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,677
    edited December 1969

Oh, I think I am understanding now. When you save as a .car, as far as I know it doesn't save another obj at all. If I understand correctly, and it's possible I don't, .car is a file format. For example, if you save as DAE, it don't save an OBJ, it doesn't need to, the geometry information is in the DAE file. I think .car is the same way.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

I think I'm reading this right - and no, you're not going crazy.
    What it is, is that when you take V4 (or any other model) into the model room, it only EVER shows the actual model at it's default. Morphs are just that - tweaks to the original to create a different shape. The only exception to this is when you are creating or editing one of the morphs, themselves. There is a way to view your character as she is, however, by using the small preview window on the bottom right. You can change the size of the window - but then it's changed in all other rooms as well.

• tbwoqtbwoq Posts: 238
    edited December 1969

Parameter values can be saved in the Save/Load component icons in the Parameters tab(small icons in upper right). Unfortunately
    this is not working on my system in 8.5 beta build 204 atm. Carrara 8.1 should work though.

If you are trying to save a figure setup with a pose/morphs, you can drag the entire figure to the Browser->Objects tab and reload into other scenes, or...use the NLA tab and 'Create Master Pose'. A master pose clip will show up in the Clips tab that you can use in the NLA tracks of the animation group.

The editors(tree, terrain, spline etc.), usually will show the editing changes in the assemble room. Changes made in the assemble room, such as scale and modifiers, won't show change back to most of the editors. Im guessing this is to preserve the original editor model(s).

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited December 1969

Thank you so much TheKD, Dartan and tbwoq, I think I understand now. I didn't realise that the animation mode showed me the morphed figure as I wasn't making frames and the glowing lavender mesh colour seemed to draw my eye away from any detailed tweaks.

I do save tweaked figures in the Browser, but will probably do it more often now as I create the "family" so they will be the basis of the future "tribe".

I'll also try bringing up the preview window and saving the morph control settings (in 8.1 vs Beta) but I need Beta to get the symmetry modelling function for now. Does it matter if you open the same model in either 8.1 OR Beta from one time to the next?

So much to learn....... but it's all fun most of the time and am grateful for the help.

Thanks again!
    SileneUK

edited December 1969

laurenwbr said:
    Does it matter if you open the same model in either 8.1 OR Beta from one time to the next?Yes!
    The models, themselves should be fine, but once you save using 8.5, your textures will disappear from view in 8.1 until you go through all of them and change all of the places where there's a Texture Map from an empty filter back to "Sampling". 8.5, for the best, changes the Texture Map filtering to "Fast Mip Map", which is a new feature for 8.5, so it's not recognized in earlier versions.
    To help with this, I actually copied my entire collection of 'Saves' folders see my "Your Carrara Browser" article for more information on how I structure my saves in my browser and pasted them to a new folder for 8.5 and beyond - just in the case where I might want to open them again in 8.1.

laurenwbr said:
    I didn't realise that the animation mode showed me the morphed figureHeh,,, learn something new every day! Thanks from me too, The KD!

I do save tweaked figures in the Browser, but will probably do it more often now as I create the "family" so they will be the basis of the future "tribe".

I save constantly to Carrara's browser to save a pile of time in the future! Again, see the above link for some cool tips on setting up a custom "Saves" library within your browser.

I'll also try bringing up the preview window and saving the morph control settings (in 8.1 vs Beta) but I need Beta to get the symmetry modelling function for now.
    Lost me on this one. Is it, perhaps, that you don't have 8.1 Pro? The beta is Pro-only right now. I've never tried the standard Carrara, so I often take all of it's features for granted as being Carrara features! lol
    So what are you symmetrically modeling, out of curiosity? :)

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited December 1969

HI Dartan,

Thanks for the tips...really helps. I undertand now about the textures if I flip from C-8 to Beta.

I am going to be making Neanderthals! The face and head morphs don't go "far enough" or if you use some of them to the extreme, the effect is too harsh. At least that is my humble opinion. I don't need super freaky bulky creatures like some of the fantasy ones are such as Sasquatch, and there is also a Neanderthal, that are available in DAZ. The anatomy is muscular, but compact...and short/stocky. (Taking paleoanthropology uni courses online!)

Bodies are not such a big problem...even the heads are not too bad to model using symmetry (yes I only own C-8, not pro) I have tried Blender and Maya and then Studio and Hex, but I am happier with Carrara even though it's harder to learn. Anyways, the symmetry stopped after the initial 30 days were up. I wish they hadn't included it since It wasn't a trial, I bought it and when I saw symmetry just thought it was a new feature included.

Been side-tracked working on hide and fur clothing a lot and messing about with skin and body/head hair, so I must get back to the faces/heads now if I want to get them done before I lose symmetry in Beta if they pull it and start selling the next version of Pro. Or maybe there will be an upgrade price?

Have to fit this in during free time outiside of other work and stuff.

Cheers, SileneUK

edited December 1969

Very cool! Are you going to make them available - if not, will you at least show us how they look? What an awesome project!
    Oh... and there's always an upgrade discount if you don't get too far behind. Like upgrading 5 to 8.5 won't get much of a savings - if any! lol
    Once Carrara 8 was official, they only offered upgrades from 7 in the store. I was lucky and just got Pro right off the bat. When 8.5 gets released I know they'll have a screaming intro discount! I like having ALL of the features.

I actually have an easier time modeling in Carrara. I did get Blender - but just open it and look at it a bit before I go to bed every so often. Looks cool. Looks pro. But I love my Carrara!

Thanks for sharing that, Silene! I appreciate the feedback!
    Dartan