TARGET HELPERS

2»

Comments

• VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,499

I tried it and it didn't work.

However, i re-did itb from a backup file and found where the issue starts, but still donl't know how to fix it.

hwre's how to mess it up:

1. After i finish my keyframing, everything looks fine. But the animation goes step-step and i decide i want it to go step-stop--step,

2. so i select all the keys at 1 1/2 sec and 2 sec and move them ovsr all at once so it's, like, 4 secs

3. select all keys at 1 sec and ALT + drag The duplicated kefys to 3 secs

BOOM! You get that weird rotation

Sorry for the delay. Like many things in Carrara, there are a couple different ways to accomplish what you want to do.

To change the constraints on a DAZ figure, such as V4, Genesis 2, etc. Select the joint you want to change. In the case I am illustrating, I want to change the foot joint on a Genesis 2 figure.

First, select the joint, and then in the Motion tab use the pulldown menu under Constraints to select Custom (or whatever method you want).

Under the Custom constraint, there will be three circular icons for X, Y, and Z that are locked. Use the pulldown menu over each one to select either Free or Limited. Limited will by default constain the joint to a positive and negative value of 90%. You can change that if you wish.

The other method is to select the joint, and then select Set IK and Constraints from the Animation Menu.

From there, a dialogue will open with a pulldown menu with the same options as the constraint section in the Motion tab. The difference being, that you can choose to have it effect the joint tree below your current selection. The process to set up the constraint "rings" is the same as in the Motion tab.

Just saw this. Good info. Thanks.

edited May 2018

double post

Post edited by VIArts on

I tried it and it didn't work.

However, i re-did itb from a backup file and found where the issue starts, but still donl't know how to fix it.

hwre's how to mess it up:

1. After i finish my keyframing, everything looks fine. But the animation goes step-step and i decide i want it to go step-stop--step,

2. so i select all the keys at 1 1/2 sec and 2 sec and move them ovsr all at once so it's, like, 4 secs

3. select all keys at 1 sec and ALT + drag The duplicated kefys to 3 secs

BOOM! You get that weird rotation

Re-checked. it actually starts when i do number 2. duplicating does nothing to solver it. Only thing that does is puting the keys back as they were

Could it have something to do with this? 've no idea how these lines awere even set, but they seem to curve u to where the problem starts and back down toward the end.

lower case h "hip" is the target helper

Capture4.PNG
    1920 x 1040 - 217K
    Capture3.PNG
    1920 x 1040 - 212K
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Those lines are generated when you create keyframes,. they show the change in position between keyframes.

you can adjust any of those, to change the animation. 

when you create keyframes,. the program will "interpolate" between those keyframes using the selected tweener type,. (default is linear)

if you want the motion to "hold" between two keyframes,. set the tweener type (between those keys)  to Discreet.

the animaton will Hold on the first key and animate again on the next key.

In traditional "hand drawn" animation,. the lead animator would create a few Main keyframes,. then hand those to an assistant/junior animator, to create all the frames between the main key frames,. this job became known as "tweening",. in carrara the tweening is done automatically based on different selctions of tweener types.

this automatic tweening can often result in some unexpected motion,.

for example,. a standing figure,. to a seated figure,. if you only have those two main keys,. then the resulting animation will be clunky and wrong.

the simplest/best way to fix that is to create additional "intermediate" Key frames to help the tweening process achieve the results you want.

the longer the gap beween key frames,. the more you're relying on the program to calculate the animation for you

the more keyframes you create,. the less you rely on automatic tweening. although that can be more work,. the results should be better,. :)

Dang it, Andy. Move out here and teach a class t my school!

What's the best way to eliminate choppiness? And ca you save puppeteer presets?

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Too many bus's,. i'd never make it back home for lunch :)

choppiness in playback can be caused by a few different things, mostly things which make carrara work hard. (clothed figures with hair) take up more memory than a basic nude,.

the more you have in a scene,. the more polygons carrara has to change and render for each frame of playback and that uses a lot of resources,

The same applies to fully textured figures,.  dynamic hair,. basically anything which adds more calculation will slow down playback. (a RAM preview option would be nice) but i'm a dreamer.

There is an option on the timeline to play "Every frame" if carrara isn't capable of "real time" playback

Choppiness in the animation can be due to the keyframes,. or the tweeners,. try changing some of the tweeners from linear to bezier, but also check through your keys to make sure you don't have any unwanted additional keys.

Yes you can save puppeteer presets there's a couple of little icons in the top right of the Controllers panel were you can save and load your own stuff.

you can also save Poses or animations as NLA poses/animations, and those can be saved in the scene file,. or in the Browser (my clips)

Hey, I just tried THs on M4's fest, set the feet to track them,  and moved his hip down. He keeps breaking out of tfhem and his knees don't even bend?

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050

Try giving the knees a slight bend before moving the hip down. You would have the same problem if you locked yor knees. wink

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

not sure if this is right, i think a NLA clip can be stretched or unstretched to change the timing on the track.
    not sure how healthy it is to keep switching between nla and key frames. something could be lost in translation.