Loading DAZ runtimes in Carrara trial

ElspathElspath Posts: 180
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

So, haven't really found the topic for this b/c it has had to of been asked before, but here we go.
Got the Carrara 8 trial so I could try it out and see if I really wanted to shell out the money for it and am trying to load my DAZ files into it. Tried going the way of the instructions in the handy dandy manual but alas, nothing shows after adding any of my runtimes (I normally use daz 4.6 so I'm going from my main runtime folder) I use the DIM to install into DAZ, so is there a way I can take my already Daz installed items and have Carrara open them for the next month? Any help appreciated.

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Absolutely. First of all, the trial is Carrara 8, right? Or is it 8.5? I'll talk about 8 first, which doesn't yet support Genesis and such. That one (8.5) is still in beta to be released this summer. I wish you could try tyhat one - because it's better and you would already have found your Daz Studio 4.6 content library already in the Content tab.

But since I believe you have Carrara 8 trial (no Smart Content Tab) the first thing we need to know (not me, personally) is the location of your Poser-compatible content. Your Runtimes. Some people use many runtimes, others don't.

You said you use DIM. If you use the default "Download and install" without changing anything, you'll find everything in one place:
    Documents (public, not My Documents) > My DAZ 3D Library > Runtime

That folder is what you add to your "content" tab as a runtime folder.

In 8.5, You'll have access to all of your everything from your Daz Studio library with a few exceptions like Studio-only things. But you'll have Genbesis, Genesis 2 and all of the stuff that they use. Much better!

Maybe ask DAZ if you can try the beta for the trial period?
    I would.

• Salem2007Salem2007 Posts: 513
    edited December 1969

Do you still have to open DS4.5/4.6 after loading your genesis content before using it in the Carrara 8.5 beta? At one time I thought we had to do that. I ask in case it's helpful to the OP...

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Salem2007 said:
    Do you still have to open DS4.5/4.6 after loading your genesis content before using it in the Carrara 8.5 beta? At one time I thought we had to do that. I ask in case it's helpful to the OP...
    Not if it's installed by DIM
  • ElspathElspath Posts: 180
    edited December 1969

Yes I'm running the 8.1 trial. Tried adding the runtime folder as you said Dartan but get a whole lot of nothing in for the content. I have everything install to the public folder as well. The runtimes them selves get added, but no content shows (and by golly as a Daz addict I have content :) )

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

You have all your content installed in poser not studio format, right?
    Carrara 8.5 can read ,duf, but C8.1 can't read Studio anything. Do some folder diving and see what format you are trying to load.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Hi elspathswd

As Stan says,. Carrara 8.1 ..will not open Daz Studio Scene files or content files,. ...only the Beta version of 8.5 can open DUF or DSF files.

just as Daz Studio, now shows the "smart content" (in the new DS format's) and also shows the older "Content library" (Traditional poser format products).

Carrara works with all or your "Poser" type, content like V4 / M4 and previous generation figures. but cannot open or use Genesis or any smart content. ... that's why Carrara 8.5 is being developed now.

Q: When you're "Adding the runtime folder", are you browsing to your,.. Users / Public documents / my daz.library ...then selecting the folder called runtime.

Try adding the main folder which contains your runtime,... but don't select the actual runtime folder,.
    EG: Users / Public documents / My Daz Library.

Carrara will look at that folder (my daz library) and find the "Runtime" folder structure,. and add it to Carrara's browser

This should then show up in the carrara browser as (My Daz Library runtime)
    and when selected, it should show you the categories for Figures / Poses / Props / Hair,.. etc,..

Browse through as normal, and double click an Icon (thumbnail image) to load a figure.

As far as Importing entire scenes which you've made in Daz Studio,. that's not likely to work well with the C8.1 trial if you're using DS4.6 since DS will be saving in DUF format,. which 8.1 cannot read.

it's just as easy o load your figures and clothing in Carrara,. or perhaps easier,.. and then pose or animate them,. it also saves any issues with importing DS specific features or plug-ins from your DS scene, and converting / importing into carrara.

Be aware that Carrara isn't Daz Studio,. each program has different features and tools and works differently as far a the shader system, lighting systems, environment functions,. and the rendering system are concerned.

Working in one program, then exporting that file to import into a different program, is normally something you don't want to do, unless there's no other option,.

With Carrara,. you can load and work with the same poser / Daz 3D content models,. so,. why import a DS scene into carrara.,.. just make it again in Carrara

One of the first issues you'll hit is the shaders ( which are built for use in Poser or DS) may need to be adjusted in Carrara to make them work better than they can in Poser or DS,... the shaders (after adjustment) can be saved into your "My Shaders" section of the carrara browser.

hope it helps ;)

• Max TurladMax Turlad Posts: 84
    edited July 2013

3DAGE said:

...Carrara works with all or your “Poser” type, content like V4 / M4 and previous generation figures. but cannot open or use Genesis or any smart content. ... that’s why Carrara 8.5 is being developed now.

...Try adding the main folder which contains your runtime,... but don't select the actual runtime folder,.
    EG: Users / Public documents / My Daz Library. Hope it helps ;)

Hi 3DAGE,

I have the same. Yes this helps a lot, but when I try to place a figure in the scene Carrara say: "was unable to import Basic.female.cr2". Gnaaaaaaa (I'm crying). So we need I to buy some V4/M4 to import. I have a trial of Carrara 8.1.1 Pro 32 bit, but before I buy something, I want to know it better. For my tests was cute experiment with human figures.

Thank you Max.

Post edited by Max Turlad on
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI sbilf

it would depend on what the "Basic.female.cr2" is ....

If it's the "genesis basis female" from daz Studio,. then it won't work in the Carrara 8 trial,. because it's a genesis model.

Any models which are built for use in Poser 5, 6. 7. or 8, ...or Daz Studio 1, 2, 3, or 4, ...which were built before "genesis", and poser pro2012 were released,. will work in Carrara 8.

New Poser figure's released with poser 9, 10, or Poser-Pro 2012, 2014, ..or Daz3D Studio 4.5 (genesis)
    will only work in Carrara 8.5 (beta)

There are many "free" figures, textures, and clothes which you can use in Carrara trial to experiment with,. but carrara is a full 3D program where you can build your own model, add bones, pant textures, animate, and render,. so,. content is less of a necessity in carrara than programs which don't have those abilities, and require pre-made content to be able to do anything.

So we need I to buy some V4/M4 to import.

not really,...

Carrara can use Victoria 1,. 2,. 3,. or 4,. Plus many other models from other stores, or Freely available on-line.

Victoria 4,. was the default model supplied "free" in the content when anyone downloaded Daz3d Studio,. (from version 1 to 4)

As far as I know,. Genesis is now included as the default Daz model when you download Daz3d Studio 4.5

have a look at the free stuff in the Daz3D store, or check out sites like ShareCG. which has free stuff

Carrara can be used "as is", without pre-made content,. but it's obviously simpler and faster to start out with a pre-made figure, especially when you're just beginning to learn what the software can do.

The 30 day trial of Carrara, doesn't come with any of the "Carrara Native Content" or "bonus content" which only comes with the Full version of Carrara.
    The Carrara native content, includes a wide selection of models, from Aircraft models to Writing props,. plus example scenes, animations, lighting , particle systems, physics etc....

The Bonus content for the Pro version of Carrara, included Victoria 4 and Michael 4, plus morphs, clothing, and high-res skin shaders for carrara,. plus a bunch of other Daz 3D models, and Carrara products.

Hope it helps

• Max TurladMax Turlad Posts: 84
    edited December 1969

Hi 3DAGE,

helps, helps a lot and much more. You're so right and clear in your explanations.

Thank you again, Max.