gen4 dynamic hair on genesis

TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,677
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I have some hair for V4 M4, is there a quick efficient way to get it onto genesis?

I had an idea I thought was good, but no go. I took V4 into carrara, I selected everything but a "haircap" area of her head in the modelling room. I hit delete, expecting everything but the deselected area to go poof, but nothing happened at all lol.

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Try using the correct figure for the hair and the dynamics calculations. Once you save the final simulation - so you have a backup, bring in Genesis. morph around with the M4 or V4 figure to get the head about right with the Genesis character - and then remove its visibility. Since you can't hide the entire hierarchy, due to the hair being attached to the model, you'll have to select below that.

I like the setup and advice you get from PhilW in the Advanced Techniques video. He gives you some great hair and his proxies. That hair setup and his instructions on it make the whole video set worth it. But the rest is all a bunch of really, Really good stuff too. Hmmmm... I think I'll watch some of that right now (smiling)
    Phil rocks - and is very entertaining. He is very thorough and where he could have repeated some of what he already has shown, he instead shows you another method to do it. At the very end - the last video, he tells us who he is and what he's done with 3d and why he likes Carrara best. I do too. It's nice for me to know that someone as accomplished as he is is also a big believer in Carrara.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,045
    edited December 1969

you can just use V4 or M4's obj and delete everything but the head
    I did that with PhilW's Venus hair

edited December 1969

I actually did that... ran a hair sim on one character who I eventually made invisible with a different figure in her place for the animation. Worked out pretty good!

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

If the hair is "grown" on the model, it needs that model's geometry as far as I know. So if the hair is for V4, it won't work on Genesis because the mesh is different. That's where Wendy's and Dart's methods come in handy. If the hair is on a hair cap, then you should be able to fit it to whatever model you wish to parent it to. You may have to adjust the fit through morphs or just pushing and pulling polygons on the hair cap to get it to fit.

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,677
    edited December 1969

Hmmm, sounds like I might be better off just biting the bullet and painting out new hair caps right on a genesis head. It's been a long ass time, how would I save it to reuse?

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Hi TheKD :)

it's not a matter of painting a new growth area on genesis and all will be well,. ...it's more complex than that.

the hair saves th growth area, (since it doesn't need a "hair cap" and it can be applied to the "model" directly,.
    then the hair can be saved to the browser,. (no hair cap / No figure) just the hair.

when it's applied to a new figure, it looks for the same polygons,. and if the figure is V4 / M4 it'll find those and apply the hair correctly.
    if the figure isn't V4/M4,... then it won't find the correct polygons for the growth area,. and it won't work.

Chopping off, or "Scalping" the V4/M4 head,, and using that mesh area as a "Scull cap",.. will work .. and you can save the Cap and Hair as a group,. into your browser.

edited December 1969

TheKD said:
    Hmmm, sounds like I might be better off just biting the bullet and painting out new hair caps right on a genesis head. It's been a long ass time, how would I save it to reuse?
    Hair Caps are not painted on - they are a separate model that conforms to the head - so that the hair CAN be used again for different models. At least that's what I consider to be "Hair Caps".

Here is a cool way you can do it: Making Hair Caps in Poser - by Cripeman
    Carrara comes with V4 and M4 hair caps. These can be used to grow hair on, so that your not actually growing it directly on the model itself. This way, you can darg the cap itself into the browser to save the whole setup.

edited December 1969

Sorry, I forget what they called it lol. Growth area maybe? If I save out a hair built right on genesis head, that should save the growth region too right?

I think I am going to try a few of each, see which one gets better results, haircap, and growth regions right on the head. I always had trouble with haircaps in the past, getting them to look right. Thanks for the haircap tutorial video, I never seen that one, and cripeman usually does an excellent job ob his tutorials.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

TheKD said:
    Sorry, I forget what they called it lol. Growth area maybe? If I save out a hair built right on genesis head, that should save the growth region too right?

I think I am going to try a few of each, see which one gets better results, haircap, and growth regions right on the head. I always had trouble with haircaps in the past, getting them to look right. Thanks for the haircap tutorial video, I never seen that one, and cripeman usually does an excellent job ob his tutorials.

When you grow the hair on a figure, let's use V4 as an example, then save it to the browser, you can drag it onto another V4 model and it will appear in the exact same spot as on the model that you created it on. Since V4 and A4 use the same mesh, you should be able to load it onto an A4 as well.

edited December 1969

If it's the Cap itself you haven't got to look right, you can give it a 0% Alpha shader - effectively making it invisible.

In my experience, so far - you are correct. Saving the hair should also save the grow hair region(s)

Holly Wetcircuit's Web space has some great info and freebies regarding Carrara Dynamic Hair, if you haven't seen her advice yet.

edited December 1969

Oh yeah, I did see the fur tutorial before, but I lost it and forgot all about it. thanks for the reminder :D

• ringo monfortringo monfort Posts: 945
    edited December 1969

This is not Gen4 Dynamic hair but a new Dynamic Hair set for Victoria 6 also using the soon to be release Victoria 6 Carrara skin shaders.

V6_dynamic_hair7.jpg
    500 x 972 - 200K
    edited December 1969

that is looking pretty good there ringo :D