Please fix the posing...

Am I the only one that finds posing nearly impossible in Daz? I try to put the hand where I want it with inverse kinematics which would therefore determine the angles of the upper arm and forearm, but no, it wants to adjust the chest and rest of the body too.

Comments

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

That's correct but you can pin for example the upper chest before you post the hand & forearm and it will only follow through to the shoulder. Then unpin the upper chest. Think that's where the should contents directly to.

• IsaacNewtonIsaacNewton Posts: 1,300

Joseph06, you are not the only one who finds IK difficult to use in DS. I find that IK in Poser works much better than in DS. That's a pity because DS has positive aspects too. What I find is that pining doesn't really pin completely; it restricts movement to some extent. My experience is that if I use IK in DS I still have to adjust the pose manually to put pinned body parts back where they were. Since this mostly defeats the objective of pinning, I rarely do this in DS and mostly rely on manual posing. A pity really :(

Perhaps DAZ3d could introduce an additional "hard pin" or "nail down" function in to DS, which would absolutely fix the body part in place. Obviously, that would restrict the range of movement of the body parts you are trying to move, but often that is exactly what you want.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

Joseph06, you are not the only one who finds IK difficult to use in DS. I find that IK in Poser works much better than in DS. That's a pity because DS has positive aspects too. What I find is that pining doesn't really pin completely; it restricts movement to some extent. My experience is that if I use IK in DS I still have to adjust the pose manually to put pinned body parts back where they were. Since this mostly defeats the objective of pinning, I rarely do this in DS and mostly rely on manual posing. A pity really :(

Perhaps DAZ3d could introduce an additional "hard pin" or "nail down" function in to DS, which would absolutely fix the body part in place. Obviously, that would restrict the range of movement of the body parts you are trying to move, but often that is exactly what you want.

Yeah, it's true pinning doesn't completely pin. frown

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,722

Posing in DS works great, it's the IK and pinning that is useless. That is one of the two things I miss about poser.

• joseph06joseph06 Posts: 125

Wow I must be pretty ignorant lol I had no idea that you could pin stuff. That would have saved me hours of work :( Thank you for telling me about that.

• IsaacNewtonIsaacNewton Posts: 1,300
    joseph06 said:

Wow I must be pretty ignorant lol I had no idea that you could pin stuff. That would have saved me hours of work :( Thank you for telling me about that.

Well, you can pin stuff, but as mentioned above, it's not necessarily a hard pin. This is especially noticable with the feet and hands which do get dragged along even when pinned. I understand that this has some uses, but it would also be very useful to have the option to nail the hands and feet into position (no religious implications intended) so that any movement is in the other body parts only. Naturally this would limit the movements of those other body parts to their natural maximum.... but that's exactly what is wanted!

• joseph06 said:

Well, you can pin stuff, but as mentioned above, it's not necessarily a hard pin. This is especially noticable with the feet and hands which do get dragged along even when pinned. I understand that this has some uses, but it would also be very useful to have the option to nail the hands and feet into position (no religious implications intended) so that any movement is in the other body parts only. Naturally this would limit the movements of those other body parts to their natural maximum.... but that's exactly what is wanted!

The ActivePose will give a hard pin, though it has other limitations (no response to rotations or any adjustments made via sliders). At one time ActivePose was a separate plug-in, but it isn't now (unless that's the DzPowerPose file - it did change its name at one point) - still, that does indicate that a more powerful IK tool could possibly be added by a third-party developer.

• How do you pin?

• Spacebar

• gederixgederix Posts: 390

Use the tool settings pane in conjunction with the active pose tool to use it most effectively.