Carrara 8 Pro Upgrade & Install Manager

buck415buck415 Posts: 57
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hi everyone.

I went to install my Carrara 8 Pro upgrade and it took me to the Install Manager. Several products were automatically selected for download which is great, but before I impulsively install everything I wanted to ask a question about some of the files.

My Install Manager is set to install everything into my DS4.6(?) Pro content directory. I notice that some of the automatically selected files are the PowerLoader for M4 Morphs++, V4.2 Morphs++, a Developer Kit, and a few others.

Will installing those PowerLoaders into my DS content directory interfere with DS? I seem to recall some trouble with that in the earlier versions of 4.0 and wanted to ask before I create more work for myself by installing something somewhere I should not.

Thanks

Comments

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Hi buck415

You may need to add the path to your Carrara application in the "Applications" tab in (Daz Install Manager)

after that's done,. DIM will install (Scenes, shader, and plug-ins) for carrara,. into the correct folder's for carrara.

The "Bonus" content,. (which includes V4/M4 and Poser/DS add-on's for those figures) Isn't actually built for Carrara,.

Those products are built for installation into DS or Poser,. but if you don't have either of those, then you could force then to install into Carrara, or another folder,.

So,. for DIM,. ...the install package should tell DIM, where to install content,. and in this case it#'s saying that this "bonus content" should be installed into you DS library,. which is correct.

Only products built for carrara, should be installed into the main Carrara application folder.

You can Add the Runtime folders from your DS / Poser libraries,.. to Carrara's content browser,. ..so that you can load any figures/clothes/poses etc,. into carrara.

If you don't use Daz Studio,. then the "powerpose" is useless to you,. since it only works in DS. ....Carrara doesn't need it.

Hope it helps :)

Here are some quick "starter" pages to help get you up and running.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7907045/Carrara_first_steps.zip

• buck415buck415 Posts: 57
    edited December 1969

That's very helpful, thank you.

I created an empty runtime and attempted to install Carrara Pro Upgrade products into it. I received an error message screen suggesting I need CP 8.5. The 8.5 beta is available, but I did not install it because it's a beta... should I assume the beta is far enough along to be installed with minimal problems?

What is the default content directory installation path for Carrara 8 Pro?

Thank you

dim1-0-1-75-carrara.png
    516 x 539 - 25K
  • ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I love zip files, no muss, no fuss, no intermediate helper app to stop up the works.
    I don't use CMS, I don't use DIM, I don't use power loaders, I don't have content issues.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,580
    edited December 1969

buck415 said:
    That's very helpful, thank you.

I created an empty runtime and attempted to install Carrara Pro Upgrade products into it. I received an error message screen suggesting I need CP 8.5. The 8.5 beta is available, but I did not install it because it's a beta... should I assume the beta is far enough along to be installed with minimal problems?

Thank you

In Install Manager, go to settings (the gear symbol) > Applications tab and make sure Carrara is listed -- if it isn't, click the plus sign in the lower left to add it to the list.

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226
    edited December 1969

ManStan said:
    I love zip files, no muss, no fuss, no intermediate helper app to stop up the works.
    I don't use CMS, I don't use DIM, I don't use power loaders, I don't have content issues.

Amen. With my (embarrassingly large) collection of Poser content, the easiest thing is to install each in its own folder, then link to it in Carrara's browser (Content: Add Runtime). This is another aspect of DAZ Studio that scares me away (I mentioned earlier that I originally could not figure out how to load content in DS). The following review says DS is better, but its apparently not well (note the "Cons"):

http://www.digitalartsonline.co.uk/reviews/creative-software/daz-studio-pro-46-review/?olo=email

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

buck415 said:
    On a Windows Machine, it's C:\ Program Files:\ DAZ 3D:\ Carrara 8
    I wasn't sure if DIM would install Carrara "Content" into the appropriate Carrara directory, so in the DIM settings, under the Installation tab, I added "Carrara" with the above path and "Carrara 8.5" with the same path but for the 85b directory - so that I could actually select it's install path in the DIM for Batch installing my Carrara store bought goodies, plugins, what have you.

FYI, A quick way to select the install paths in the DIM is to put a check in the "Show Details" box in the 'Ready to Install' tab. The top line is the Content Path Shortcuts selection box.

If you have something that requires Carrara 8.5 and want to get it and check it out, I highly recommend doing so. I love Carrara 8.5 beta, build 204. It will also give you the opportunity to try Genesis and the new Genesis 2 Female figures in Carrara. I have a sneaky suspicion that it won't be in beta much longer - but waiting for the official release is silly. Okay... I'm kidding about that last bit!

edited December 1969

HI

The default installation directory for Carrara products,. is your main Carrara folder, whether that's C6, 7, 8, or 8.5 should not matter.

You don't need to have the beta version of Carrara installed to install products using DIM,. ...

The error message you posted states that you need to define the locations for Carrara 8.5, or 8. or 7.2 (or any one of those)
    it looks like you've not set the application path correctly in DIM,. I'd check that first,..

Depending on where you've installed it, and what version it is, it should be something like :

Program files / Daz3D / Carrara 8
    Program files x86 / Daz3D / Carrara 8

Unless you don't have Daz Studio, or Poser installed,. then you don't need to set up a new runtime simply for the "bonus" Daz content

Carrara doesn't need any of it,. ...but it is handy to have V4 and M4 figures as a starting point.

The Daz "carrara" Hair caps, are more like Poser / DS products, and can be installed into any Content library or Runtime folder.

Any DS or Poser products should be installed into your DS or Poser runtime folders (this is normally now located in either your My Documents or Users / Daz3D / My Library folder.

In DIM. the installation of products should be automatic (once you've told it where those applications are) and you've enabled the option in DIM,. to "Install after downloading"

So,..
    If you're using DIM,. and have added your Carrara program location to the list of "Applications",. then any Carrara products will install to your carrara locations listed,.

Any products for Daz Studio,. or Poser will also install into the Applications you've listed in DIM.

So,. once you've told DIM where your programs are located,. any content, add-on's, plugins etc will be automatically installed to the correct folder because each "Product" is tagged with the application it's built for.

The Carrara 8.5 beta is very stable,. and almost complete.
    It should be installed into a different folder from your Carrara 8.1. (it's not an update for 8.1) it's a different application.

the Beta of Carrara 8.5 is the only version which is capable of using genesis.
    but,.. you don't need to have the beta installed to install your carrara products using DIM.

DIM actually uses ZIP archive files . but it also manages your installations and un-installations,. as well as providing access to your products, which are available 24/7,. plus the fact that Updates will be available without searching for them, or resetting your account downloads.

if you're not using DIM, and the CMS, then you won't be making the most of Genesis and Smart content.
    since smart content is supplied to carrara by CMS (content management system) you'll not see any smart content in the beta, and you'll be searching manually for files,.

Power Loader have nothing to do with content installation or management.
    they are a "Daz Script", which runs only in Daz Studio, to quickly load (inject) multiple morphs into a figure.

they have nothing to do with Carrara,. and are only usable in Daz Studio.

Hope it helps

dim_app_setup.png
    556 x 521 - 63K
    edited December 1969

Hi Steve K :)

There's no reason that you can't create multiple runtime folders,. anywhere you want,. and point individual products to those locations from within DIM.

so,. you can either look at DIM as a product installer for Daz Studio stuff,.
    or,.. you can see it as a content download and install manager. which can be completely customised to work the way that you want to work.
    and will install product for Bryce, Carrara, Hexagon, Photoshop, Vue etc...

It uses Zips,. but it makes installing and Un-installing much simpler, much easier, much faster.

You can select multiple files in DIM and install them to wherever you want,. with a single click. and select and un-install them just as easily.

Any Updates to those products will install into the same locations automatically, without you trying to remember which runtime you installed the original product to.

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226
    edited December 1969

3DAGE said:
    Hi Steve K :)

There's no reason that you can't create multiple runtime folders,. anywhere you want,. and point individual products to those locations from within DIM.

Okay, thanks. Being a Carrara only user, I just don't feel the need to automate the "installation" of new content. Download it, put it in a folder and link to it in Carrara's browser. Pretty simple, IMHO, and I consider Carrara's browser very elegant.

As I mentioned, I had difficulty loading content with early versions of DS, so I am a little like the cat that sits on a hot stove - no more hot stoves, or cold stoves.

• NansteinNanstein Posts: 43
    edited December 1969

HI

The error message you posted states that you need to define the locations for Carrara 8.5, or 8. or 7.2 (or any one of those)
    it looks like you've not set the application path correctly in DIM,. I'd check that first,..

Depending on where you've installed it, and what version it is, it should be something like :

Program files / Daz3D / Carrara 8
    Program files x86 / Daz3D / Carrara 8

I've set the application path for Carrara 7 Pro (it's Program Files (x86)/Daz3D/Carrara 7 Pro)
    I'm trying to install the following using DIM and keep getting the error message that says I have not set the Carrara path correctly:
    Carrara Hair Caps
    the M4 elite shaders (Jeremy, Rob and Sol) for Carrara 7
    M4 High Res Shaders for Carrara 7
    V4 High Res shaders for Carrara 7

My Daz Studio content folder is: C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library

I've been able to install a few Carrara items without a problem, but these just aren't working.
    Thanks in advance.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

In regards to the Daz Studio discussion portion, I have found my favored results coming from using the Daz Studio Library only for Genesis related and like the new Daz Horse 2 type stuff. Everything else, like buildings, plants, cars, etc., I prefer my old Runtime folder structure.

When I tried letting DIM install everything to its default directory, I found that the list I was seeing in Carrara became confusing, littered with folders that have nothing in them that Carrara can use. I think that this occurred because Daz Studio simply uses it's own database to show you your content - so the confusion isn't apparent there. But in Carrara you're seeing all sorts of folders, where the only ones that concern loading the content (from the general "Library" directory) are Animals and People. Within those you find the stuff you've installed for genesis and daz horse stuff. For example; "People" > "Genesis" contains Genesis plus all clothing, materials, characters, poses, etc.,
    For the other stuff, it seems that you have to look under the library's runtime folder. I could be wrong- like I said - it becomes confusing when it's all loaded into the DS library like that - unless, perhaps, if you already know your way around it - so you know which folders to find and which to ignore.

My solution:
    I set up the DIM to use new runtimes to help organize all of my non-Genesis, etc., content so that the only directories that it installs to are folders that only DIM installs to - so that it knows what's in there - basically to get full functionality out of this cool tool.
    Then I decided to go ahead and use its default installation location (My DAZ 3D Library in the Public Documents folder) for Genesis, Genesis 2 and other triax rigged characters, animals, and the conforming accessories that go with them.

Now I open DIM to my account and have it download everything without having it install.
    Once it's done I have all of my content ready for me to tell DIM where I want it to go. After that, DIM knows where it is and can download and install (in one step) without having to tell it where to go - because it now has the locations in its database.

Now that I've downloaded everything I glance at the list and decide which of my directories I'd like to install to first. Then I choose (in the 'Ready to Install tab) the "Show Details" check box at the bottom. On the top of that new window at the bottom is the Content Install to Shortcuts selection box. I believe you can even add new directories here - but I've always done so using the settings.
    Now I select the appropriate directory from the selection box and then go through my list and select all of the obvious choices for that directory. Depending on the day, I'll either look up titles that I'm not sure about what they are, or I'll ignore them for now - and look them up later.

Once I've gone through and checked that directory's content I "Start Queue" and let it install my gear. Nowadays I've even switched to have it delete the installer files when installation is complete to save the space.

I am amazed at the convenience of using the device in this way. Now I have a complete, fast loading list of everything DAZ 3D that I have installed on my machine. If I decide to reorganize some things I can now use DIM to uninstall all of the stuff I want to move. When done, go back to "Ready to Download" tab and refresh. All of the stuff I just deleted will now appear as being ready to download. Unless I have other items in that list, I can go ahead and select the new location that I want this stuff to be installed to, and have the DIM download and install all of those items in a single step. I can walk away and let it finish - but it's pretty fast- so I often just watch it work.

edited December 1969

Hi Nanstein :)

what you've set up looks fine, as far as i can tell,. but if you're getting the message that the carrara applications haven't been set up, then you need to check in the "Applications" area,. in DIM,.. and also check in the "Installation" area.

Use the "Show details" option at the bottom right of the "Ready to install" area, to check which folder you're currently pointing to.

you can have folders listed here for Carrara, or other applications, and direct DIM to install files to those locations.

hope it helps :)

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,873
    edited December 1969

I've just installed Carrara 8.5 with DIM and want to add the path so DIM can install content also. I get an error message though when I try, what does that mean?
    --

carr_cont2.jpg
    551 x 517 - 65K
    carr_cont1.jpg
    551 x 517 - 88K
    edited December 1969

Well tried to add that folder anyway and then install Native Content. Then I get this error, which obviously is wrong since the path already is entered.
    --

carr_cont4.jpg
    545 x 250 - 45K
    carr_cont3.jpg
    515 x 229 - 33K
    edited December 1969

HI Taozen :)

The "Public Beta" is supplied as the "main program" only,. (It's easier for beta testing)
    It doesn't need to have all the "native content" installed as well., .since this is a temporary "Beta version". It will be "updated" to a different version", and will eventually become unusable (as it expires), and will be replaced with the "Final release". (which will be installed into a folder with a different name.

You should install the (Production) version of Carrara Pro,. and then install the Carrara Native Content into that folder structure,..

Hope that makes sense :)

edited December 1969

OK, never tried a Carrara Beta before, but it's working now. Thanks very much! :)