Can I use 2D image shapes in Bryce?

launoklaunok Posts: 774
edited April 2018 in Bryce Discussion

I know how to import 2D images into Bryce but they automatically go into a square frame around it.

I want to know if I can import 2D shaped images with specific curves, i.e. a heart, flower or any other shape in Bryce (without a square frame)?  I assume I will need Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop to cut them out. frown

Post edited by launok on

Comments

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

I'm not sure if I understand exactly what you are looking for.  Are you trying to have a flat plane with a transparent area around the outside of your image, or are you to convert  a 2D image into a 3D extruded shape?  If the later, you can create a terrain using a modified version of the image as a height map perhaps.

• launoklaunok Posts: 774
    edited April 2018
    sriesch said:

AI'm not sure if I understand exactly what you are looking for.  Are you trying to have a flat plane with a transparent area around the outside of your image, or are you to convert  a 2D image into a 3D extruded shape?  If the later, you can create a terrain using a modified version of the image as a height map perhaps.

Just a flat image in shape form.  I want to add for instance a flower motif on a wall or even a glass window.  I want to make shops with adverts pasted on the walls, windows, doors, even on a roof top sign clipped to a truss.  Something in that line.  I have done so in the past with postwork but prefer it to be part of a render.  Some years back I have added a picture to a movie theatre screen with the help of a light but it was a rectangular image.  Say for instance, I want to make a flower shop I want to add flower images onto windows but with shape forms and not squares, and so forth.  Like clipart images.  Even a few graffiti signs on walls.  I hope you understand what I am trying to do. smiley

Post edited by launok on
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

Look at the 2D picture object "Leo".  The actual image is on the left, but then there's a second black&white image for the alpha that is used to hide the part you don't want to see.  Black corresponds to the invisible part and white corresponds to the visible part.  You would want to create something similar (in your image editor) that matches your flower silhouette in the window.

screenshot, leo.png
    639 x 466 - 305K
  • launoklaunok Posts: 774
    sriesch said:

Look at the 2D picture object "Leo".  The actual image is on the left, but then there's a second black&white image for the alpha that is used to hide the part you don't want to see.  Black corresponds to the invisible part and white corresponds to the visible part.  You would want to create something similar (in your image editor) that matches your flower silhouette in the window.

Thank you for the tip.  I have not much experience with the 2D menu but will give it a try tomorrow.  smiley

• akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124

I think i deleted Leo. How can i return him back without reinstalling? I don't seem to find where he was.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited January 2019

akmerlow - Leo is on the Create shelf. Click on Create and you'll see the golden Leo. Click on it. The 2D face will get the aspect ratio of the picture you load.

Leo

Leo.jpg
    696 x 80 - 15K
    Post edited by Horo on
  • akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124

Thanks, but i mean that after importing my own image it was looking like Leo is gone.
    But then it seems that Leo appears again in new scene? Sorry for bothering.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069

Yup, delete it and next time you open the Picture Library it is back.