Applying Labels

Apologize for such a lame question, but for some reason I have blanked out on how to apply a logo with a transparent background unto an object. I've done it before in the past, but for some reason I can't now. I applied a rectangle layer to the object and also loaded the image but nothing shows up. Help, and thanks for tolerating a newbe type question.

Stuie

Comments

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

I may be misunderstanding your question.  Are you loading the logo as a texture map for the object?  If the object is square, the logo may be appearing on the back side, and you may need to rotate the object to see the logo.

More details of what you are trying to accomplish will help. :)

• StuieStuie Posts: 58

Here's what I did. Step one I added the rectangle layer to the shell of the turtle. Step two I added the texture map. Not only does the map not show up, but the outline for the rectangle is also gone.

Step1.jpg
    783 x 642 - 103K
    Step2.jpg
    783 x 642 - 112K

Got it.  I've only used that process when doing Phil's tutorial.  I'll go back and look to see the proper steps, and report later.

Maybe someone who uses that process will chip in.

edited April 2018

I hope so. I've done it in the past and that's why this is so frustrating. Another thing that's getting to me is that the white outside the logo is supposed to be transparent, this is a png image.

Post edited by Stuie on
    edited April 2018

At first glance, I don't understand the little square in the first picture.  It shows when you apply to a larger surface than used in the tutorial.

In the tutorial, Phill applies the texture to the whole surface first, then selects the "Rect" layer and adjusts the constraints.

Pretty sure that the PNG will appear like it has a white BG until it is applied.

I thought that I might be able to see the issue if I went through the tutorial, but it looks to me like you are doing everything right.  Did you try it with a different object or in a different scene, just in case it was a glich?

For sure, I am pretty inexperienced in Layers List stuff.

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

Did this just now.. took about 5 minutes.. if this is what you mean - load turtle in Carrara

load shell in PSE ... load your logo in PSE ( or your fav photo editing app )

place logo over shell in new layer

make layer under logo and fill white

save ( I saved as a PNG )

select logo layer the ctrl-click layer to select

fill logo with white

select white layer and fill with black

save as your trans map

in Carrara select shell in shading room

change color to mixer

add your logo you saved in source 2

add the transmap you saved in the blender

Render

done

transmaps.jpg
    1739 x 683 - 138K
    turtletransmaps.jpg
    640 x 480 - 21K

I would use PSE as well, but I think he wanted to do it in Carrara.  Besides, the Layers List is pretty cool to play with. :)

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

I've only ever done it the way Stezza describes (through blending in a single channel). But my first thought with the layers method is: is the layer order important? In other words, might it be that you've placed the logo beneath the shell instead of above it?

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited April 2018

I do use the rectangle method without reverting to photoshop elements or another image editor.

** check to see if there are different shaders for the global slot vs the shading domain where the logo woud go.  Make sure drawing rectangle on shading domain.  **

Unfortunately, I do not have the turtle (or I can't find it).  However, I do have a baby seal.  Here is how I apply a logo to the baby seal.

- Entered the texture room for the actor level of the seal.

​- Noted that the global shader (multicolor ball) has a shader in it that is different from the pelt. If I just draw the rectangle on the shader of the initial load, it will be applied to the global shader but then overwritten by the shader for the pelt shader domain.  See that the pelt shader apears different than the global in the attached pic.

​- I double click the pelt shader domain to edit that shader.

- I draw the rectangle where I want the logo.  The lines of the rectangle appear on the seal.

​- I choose multichannel for the rectangular layer and the default gray appears as a rectangle on the seal.

​- I choose texture map and navigate to the logo, which is a circle with swooshes on a white background.

​- The logo appears but the white appears.

- I check "white is invisible" and the only the logo appears.

​- I did a test render and the logo is on the seal.

rr01 shading domain tree maybe a problem because top not actually applied anywhere.JPG
    1920 x 960 - 158K
    rr02 pelt shader domain and tree.JPG
    1916 x 925 - 175K
    rr03 rectangle on pelt.JPG
    1915 x 950 - 163K
    rr04 multichannel shader default gray shows as gray box on rectangle.JPG
    1884 x 962 - 195K
    rr05 load a logo but white is showing.JPG
    1915 x 992 - 195K
    rr06 check white is invisible.JPG
    1845 x 961 - 181K
    rr07 test render.jpg
    640 x 480 - 14K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited April 2018

Thanks everyone for your help. I was finally able to get the logo on the shell, but now there’s another problem. The logo’s background is transparent and saved as a png file. When applied to the shell texture as a rectangle layer, the transparent background made that part of the shell transparent also, so I end up seeing the inside. What am I doing wrong?

Step1b.jpg
    1028 x 373 - 73K
    Step2b.jpg
    1029 x 374 - 83K
    Step3b.jpg
    480 x 407 - 42K
    Post edited by Stuie on

After playing some more, I finally was able to get it together. Instead of going with a png, I used a tif file. Even with a transparent background, Clicking on white is invisible got rid of it, but also affected the text. I had to go back and slightly darken the text so it was not a problem. Thanks all for your help.

• Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on
    edited March 2021

edited March 2021

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Thanks for all the details, @Selina.  Very informative, especially the 2:1 ratio.

edited March 2021

edited March 2021