Hexagon tessellation options ?

is there another way to tessellate? because I get nowhere with Catmull-Clark and it looks ugly

Screen Shot 2018-04-24 at 10.49.32.png
1920 x 1028 - 633K

Comments

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838
    edited April 2018

Smoothing in the Surface Modelling tab. And what do you consider ugly there?

Post edited by Ascania on
  • seegsons said:

is there another way to tessellate? because I get nowhere with Catmull-Clark and it looks ugly

The chamfer algorithm is not as nice as the Catmull-Clark algorithm, unfortunately. It's hard to get good reflective surfaces without noise from chamfering.

• Ascania said:

Smoothing in the Surface Modelling tab. And what do you consider ugly there?

apart from the limitations, I would like to be able to straighten the edges in a way so that they remain as paralel as possible (I'm not sure if retopo can do that in another program like Modo)

the reason is I have a mesh where I need to extrude the faces all around as shown in the screenshot but they are not paralel 

QUOTE: The chamfer algorithm is not as nice as the Catmull-Clark algorithm, unfortunately. It's hard to get good reflective surfaces without noise from chamfering.

yep, another issue that drives me against the seiling - on a side note this is not a problem in Blender or at least I never had an issue in Blender but I still don't like Blender modeling workflow and prefer Hexagon

would be nice if someone comes up with an idea because I have no idea what to do

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838
    edited May 2018

The tesselation is more concerned with staying faithful to the geometry and maths of the operation than to look good to the user.

Try instead slicing your chamfered object and then retopo it along those slices. Takes more work but that's the best Hex can do.

Post edited by Ascania on