Zip Files & Metadata

Jason GalterioJason Galterio Posts: 2,562
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

A question about the new zip files: How is the metadata going to be handled with those?

Right now we have two different install files, the metadata install placing trigger files in a specific location. How is this (going to) work when there are no EXE files involved?

(I poked around the Forum search but couldn't find anything on this subject.)

Comments

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

I would assume that the runtime\support folder will simply be included. It's included in the main installer anyway (despite there being a separate metadata installer). That IS an assumption though.

• Jason GalterioJason Galterio Posts: 2,562
    edited December 1969

Okay, that would make sense.

But then what would trigger the "Found New Content" window that pops up to import the metadata?

• LoaarLoaar Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Legionair said:

But then what would trigger the "Found New Content" window that pops up to import the metadata?

Thats a really good question. Since its the files added to the /roaming folder that triggers it now the zips would be a pretty inefficient way to do it.

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited June 2012

Loaar said:
    Legionair said:

Thats a really good question. Since its the files added to the /roaming folder that triggers it now the zips would be a pretty inefficient way to do it.

It is the entry in the RunOnce folder that triggers the CMS update. I suspect that going to zips is going to be a big problem for those not willing to extract the content directly to the "My Library" area. I'm waiting for the screams from the "we want zips" crew saying "this isn't what we wanted!"

Physically moving content around is going to become a very serious problem. More and more features are going to rely on the CMS and the CMS relies on content being where the Metadata says it is.

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on
    edited December 1969

Since going to zips is only *part* of the new content install methodology (don't forget the automated installer as well as auto-update functionality) I think things like triggering new metadata searches are already being handled for those that will use things in the default setup. For those of us that don't, it should be trivial to make a menu command (and thus keyboard shortcut) to the Process Metadata Queue function.

edited December 1969

adamr001 said:
    Since going to zips is only *part* of the new content install methodology (don't forget the automated installer as well as auto-update functionality) I think things like triggering new metadata searches are already being handled for those that will use things in the default setup. For those of us that don't, it should be trivial to make a menu command (and thus keyboard shortcut) to the Process Metadata Queue function.

Seriously, how many of the "we want zips!" crowd are likely to use the automated installer? That number is pretty close to zero, or will be at inception. The whole reason they wanted zips in the first place was to "do things their way." There are, of course, those who disliked the installers simply because the installers' interfaces were inconsistent. But those people are in the minority of the crowd in my experience.

Kendall

edited December 1969

To be realistic, how many of those people (the do things "their way" crowd) are using Metadata at all? I mean, if we're going to speculate on other people, let's speculate honestly.

So let's not make a big deal out of it.

edited December 1969

adamr001 said:
    To be realistic, how many of those people (the do things "their way" crowd) are using Metadata at all? I mean, if we're going to speculate on other people, let's speculate honestly.

Fair enough. Hopefully the auto-installer will be so awesome that everyone will want to use it and all will be wine and roses. :-) BTW, I truly hope that the auto-installer is great success.

Kendall

edited December 1969

The biggest benefit to the auto-installer will be automatic content updates and partial downloads ( IMO and as I understand it from the very limited info currently available). Again though it'll only work for those who leave the original files in their original (relative) location (doesn't have to be MyLibrary, but it does have to the same relative path from there on).

• aby8grimwaresaby8grimwares Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I have sampled several 3D formats in deciding which venue to go with and quite a few have been in the new zip format. I can't speak for windows, but on Lion either a disc image was used that could be loaded into the drive image on the desk or a virtual machine popped up and you just had to move an icon from A to B. Much faster than installers.

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975
    edited December 1969

1) I want zips!
    2) I also want the installer-proggy that can keep me up to date. :)

Thanks for reminding me, I gotta run that metadata thingy manually! Added some stuff just recently!

• Jason GalterioJason Galterio Posts: 2,562
    edited December 1969

adamr001 said:

I do. That's why I asked the question.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Legionair said:
    adamr001 said:

I do. That's why I asked the question.

So far, I haven't run into any zipped products with metadata, but I assume the Install Manager would do that. I've seen plugins in zip files that have instructions for where to place the files that don't go into content folders, so I imagine they would do the same for content with metadata for those who don't want to use the Install Manager.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

I am one of those "I want zips".
    I am one of those pesky "I am renaming folders". (Honestly - do you know what Buccaneer Basics by Esha, a DazOriginal installs to? A folder called ... Essence. Yes. Ugh!)
    I don't use Smart Content, I am using the tree/folder view.
    Do you see any problems for me in the future?

edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    I am one of those pesky "I am renaming folders". (Honestly - do you know what Buccaneer Basics by Esha, a DazOriginal installs to? A folder called ... Essence. Yes. Ugh!)

I see "Smart Content" becoming more and more prevalent in the near future. There are whole worlds of content features that currently can't be supported by the outdated, legacy Poser style content system.

Kendall

edited June 2012

I see "Smart Content" becoming more and more prevalent in the near future. There are whole worlds of content features that currently can't be supported by the outdated, legacy Poser style content system.

Kendall

What content features? Do you have examples?
    Edited to add: sorry, that does sound a bit short ... tempered? But I really am curious, no offense meant.

Post edited by Kerya on
    edited June 2012

Kerya said:

Kendall

What content features? Do you have examples?
    Edited to add: sorry, that does sound a bit short ... tempered? But I really am curious, no offense meant.

No problem, no offense taken. :-)

At the current time, nothing is using any "smart content." In fact what is listed as "Smart Content" is really actually just "Categorically Connected" content. Content isn't really "smart" until it can react to its environment. Reaction to environment stimuli requires more context than can be provided via a straight filesystem search*. Use of the CMS database can facilitate rapid access to stimuli, events, actions and more. This is where I see things going (and where I'm working to take it).

Kendall

* for performance and location reasons.

Post edited by Kendall Sears on
    edited June 2012

Thank you for taking the time to answer!

Well - I think I will wait and watch ...
    but if Daz can't make the "name of item - folder name" consistent (and the Buccaneer basics is only one of many!) I can't see myself NOT renaming folders.

Post edited by Kerya on
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    Thank you for taking the time to answer!

Well - I think I will wait and watch ...
    but if Daz can't make the "name of item - folder name" consistent (and the Buccaneer basics is only one of many!) I can't see myself NOT renaming folders.

In my opinion, the reliance on the "Poser" filesystem layout at all is a mistake. DS already uses a directory of custom created data, separate from the "Poser" information and there really isn't any real reason that this layout couldn't be moved into the CMS database and off the filesystem completely. Doing so could resolve so many issues.

Kendall

edited December 1969

Kerya said:

No problem doing things that way. I used to rename/reorganize folders on disk, although now I do it using Categories instead. You can still do it your way if you like. I don't know if that will prevent the Install Manager from checking for updates.

edited December 1969

Kerya said:

No problem doing things that way. I used to rename/reorganize folders on disk, although now I do it using Categories instead. You can still do it your way if you like. I don't know if that will prevent the Install Manager from checking for updates.

Soooo - I think now I know why there is no "product updates" forum and no mails for updated files.
    Daz is going the "phoning home" route for updates now?
    *not happy*

edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    Kerya said:

Soooo - I think now I know why there is no "product updates" forum and no mails for updated files.
    *not happy*

I presume there will be other ways to check for updates, since the Install Manager is optional.

edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    Kerya said:

*not happy*

I presume there will be other ways to check for updates, since the Install Manager is optional.

I hope so! Let's never give up hope. ;-)

edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    Kerya said:

*not happy*

I do not understand this attitude. What is wrong with bringing up the installer program and clicking on "Check for Updates"? How, exactly, is that considered "Phoning Home"? What is wrong about having a checkbox in the settings "Automatically check for updates"? Both Microsoft and Apple have those settings, why not DAZ?

DAZ already has a list of the content you've purchased. You can only update those items in the list. Presumably, the installer will have a list of content that it has installed, and this list will match the list at DAZ for comparison. So what's the problem?

Kendall

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on
    edited December 1969

I do not understand this attitude. What is wrong with bringing up the installer program and clicking on "Check for Updates"? How, exactly, is that considered "Phoning Home"? What is wrong about having a checkbox in the settings "Automatically check for updates"? Both Microsoft and Apple have those settings, why not DAZ?

DAZ already has a list of the content you've purchased. You can only update those items in the list. Presumably, the installer will have a list of content that it has installed, and this list will match the list at DAZ for comparison. So what's the problem?

Kendall

The attitude stemmed from me not knowing enough. Sorry!
    I thought it will do it behind my back.
    I don't have "automatically check for updates" checked anywhere. Probably because I am old and began with a pay per minute access to the internet.

If I will be able to run that installer software manually to tell it to check for updates, I am fine.
    I just hope it works even with renamed content folders.