How to make my own environment to use in Daz

There is a setting I'd like to be able to work in that doesn't exist and as far as I can tell, never has. It's fairly simple construction and I'm sure I could pull it off if I tried. What program is best for that and would it be difficult to import into Daz? Just wondered if anyone has been down this road before.

Thanks,

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited April 2018

I assume that you mean to use in Studio?     I always make my own environements, but that is because I use Bryce, which is another one of Daz's programs. Hexagon is a modelling program, again one of Daz' stable of programs, has a bridge to Daz Studio, so can be used for architectural type environements.
    Carrara also is one of Daz' programs and has the ability to make environments of both landscape and architectural variety.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,388

To create content for DS you'll need a modelling program to create the mesh, an UV mapping tool so it can take texture maps (there's often one included in the modelling program), and an image editor to create the textures (unless you want to use existing shaders).

Any modelling program able to export the result in OBJ format can work, the key is to find one that you "get" and which works well for the type of model you want to create. Hexagon or Blender are free options, for example.

For the textures, Gimp is free, but you could use other programs like Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro if you have them.

• DDCreateDDCreate Posts: 1,388

I do have Gimp. What I am hoping to make is the interior of a trailer, like you would find in a trailer park. I have seen somewhat similar products here and there but most are really old and don't have the layout I want. I did make something close in Daz using just primitive planes but it doesn't seem quite right. The textures don't really pop. Mostly because I'm using ones I got on Google Images (wood paneling for example) and I ended up having to make huge amounts of planes sized down to make the texture look right. 

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,041

well I have seen some awesome things just made out of primitives and using the geometry editor tool you can even delete faces to shape stuff somewhat

it is mainly the fact you are stuck with the default UV mapping that would hold you back

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

I built this entire scene, with the eception of Molly herself and her clothes, within Bryce, using either the primitives which come with Bryce or some extra imported prims. I'm not saying it was easy, but it was fun.   

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,747
    edited April 2018

It depends what you want to make. 

You can use Bryce, Carrara, Hexagon3d, Sculptris, DazStudio, 3DCoat, Vue, Blender, Poser and a dozen others.  The modeller has to export an obj.  That's what you import into DazStudio and then save as a prop to make a basic environment.

Here's a video of making a basic shell of a room in a couple minutes in Hexagon. 

Post edited by FirstBastion on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032
    Chohole said:

I built this entire scene, with the eception of Molly herself and her clothes, within Bryce, using either the primitives which come with Bryce or some extra imported prims. I'm not saying it was easy, but it was fun.   

georgeous!

The OP can download Unity Free, the free Unity Free addon 'FBX Exporter' in the Unity Store, and another free addon in the Unity Store called 'Terrain Toolkit' and Speedtree plants included with Unity Free and create simple outdoor 'wilderness' terrains. There is another freebie or two in the Unity Asset Store that creates simple city & village exterior scenes (I think called 'City Generator' or 'Village Generator'; I do not remember for sure.

Also, Blender has the ANT terrain generator but it is not nearly so easy to use as the Unity Free generators.  

• DDCreateDDCreate Posts: 1,388

Awesome! Thanks for the video. As I said, I am hoping to makethe interior of a trailer and I think Hexagon is the route I'll take after seeing this video.