Hexagon (form Silo) Workflow & Terminology

sadicussadicus Posts: 14
edited June 2012 in Hexagon Discussion

Greetings,

I have been working with Hexagon for a few days, All I can say is wow. Hexagon has all the features i was struggling to get Silo to do.

Since the Key (to every 3D app) is different, I would like to get a good workflow quickly.

Silo to Hexagon Q&A

1) Save custom primitives?
2) Close = Fill?
3) Assign Custom Keys? (nav like Maya)
4) how to "frame" or center Zoom on a selected mesh?

Is there a way to create primitives with custom defaults? (not the default click drag) more like Silo where it is created at the 0,0,0 origin
1x1x1

Thanks!

Post edited by sadicus on

Comments

• ds-mail_2e0cb9c256ds-mail_2e0cb9c256 Posts: 70
    edited December 1969

I'll try, tho I don't use Silo:

1 You can modify a primitive (cube, sphere. etc) and save as a .hxn file and use/reuse anytime, but I don't think it can be saved as a pure primitive nor added to the primitive menu list....unless perhaps with re-coding the s/w.

2 Close (not the same as a 2D fill of a closed area to add a material/texture/color) in Hex means to "close" any holes in an object (some or all)...by which Hex adds a surface/face contiguous with the surrounding faces. Select an object that has hole(s), do "close", Hex highlights the openings, click each to close or on panel click on "all"

3 see "prefs" to assign/re-assign keyboard shortcuts; very capable

4 For primitives you can click menu/toolbar and set parameters for position and size(s) and quality/# of faces/points on screen click OR drag object shape from toolbar for default size and set 0,0,0 easily (drag to near center, hold down shift key, release and object center at 0,0,0)

Doug.S

• sadicussadicus Posts: 14
    edited December 1969

thanks for the info!

2) 2D fill (select edge> 2D fill

4) Primative Drag/Drop = that is cool!
    Too bad you can't create custom primatives in the menu.

• Design AcrobatDesign Acrobat Posts: 459
    edited December 1969

sadicus said:
    Greetings,

I have been working with Hexagon for a few days, All I can say is wow. Hexagon has all the features i was struggling to get Silo to do.

Since the Key (to every 3D app) is different, I would like to get a good workflow quickly.

Silo to Hexagon Q&A

1) Save custom primitives? (not that I'm aware)

2) Close = Fill? (Vertex Modeling Tab >Close> There is no key assign, but can make custom menu or assign one.

3) Assign Custom Keys? (nav like Maya) (don't know Maya, but can make a custom menu or assign Custom keys, see image below)
    4) how to "frame" or center Zoom on a selected mesh? (hit "0" to center camara on object)
    Is there a way to create primitives with custom defaults? (not the default click drag) more like Silo where it is created at the 0,0,0 origin
    1x1x1

Thanks!

custom_palette.jpg
    640 x 463 - 42K
  • sadicussadicus Posts: 14
    edited June 2012

is there a way to SAVE the custom Palette? It seems to dissapeer when I restart Hexagon.
    is there a way to GROUP SELECTIONS? (faces, Edges, etc.)

Silo - Group Selection
    Hex2 - Shading Domains

Post edited by sadicus on