Animation in front of Image.

Box8068_31c338ee4bBox8068_31c338ee4b Posts: 292
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hi
I am trying to to do a simple animation to overlay in video editing.
The animation relates to the image on the screen.
I have exported a 1920x1080 PNG image from the video edit as a guide.
My idea was to use this image as a Backdrop or Background.
But when I try that I only see the image when I render, I need to see it as I animate,
then render with out background to a PNG sequence with Alpha channel.
Since I can't see the image while working that approach won't work.
I could use the Image as a texture map on an object or plane but I need the exact
aspect ratio. ( not squished or streched at all ).
Any suggestions? would be nice if it worked with the Isometric camera as well.
Thanks

Comments

• Box8068_31c338ee4bBox8068_31c338ee4b Posts: 292
    edited December 1969

I may have found a solution.
    I made a Flat box in the spline modeler that was 19.20 x 10.80 inches.
    That seems to be the correct aspect ratio. and placed the image as a texture map.
    Any more elegant solutions?
    Thanks

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,045
    edited December 1969

a really big sphere
    untick cast and receive shadows
    put texture map in glow channel too

or use backdrop if a flat image no camera movement

edited December 1969

Wendy
    Hi ! and thanks.
    Problem I had with backdrop was I couldn't see it while working, only rendering.
    Was I doing something wrong?
    Thanks

edited December 1969

something in your graphics perhaps?
    or preferences?

• kakmankakman Posts: 225
    edited December 1969

Or, make sure you are using Backdrop and NOT Background. Anything you load into the Background will not appear until rendered.

edited December 1969

Ah HA that's it.
    Backdrop! I just now realized it is only seen through a camera,
    not Front view!
    Thank You!

• SonofbelmontSonofbelmont Posts: 147
    edited December 1969

I have a some what related question
    Is there a way to combine two images together and use the result as a backdrop without switching to a separate program?
    sort of like how you can use multichannel to mix shaders.

The reason I'd like not to have to switch programs is because what I have in mind involves changing the images used quite frequently.

• GSSEVGSSEV Posts: 32
    edited December 1969

I have a some what related question
    Is there a way to combine two images together and use the result as a backdrop without switching to a separate program?
    sort of like how you can use multichannel to mix shaders.

The reason I'd like not to have to switch programs is because what I have in mind involves changing the images used quite frequently.

Hi,
    You could use a plane object with mixed multi channel shaders to control the merging of the images. You could ouput this as an image seq or animation and put that as a backdrop to animate on top of. Depends how much different images you are using or is it just swiitching/merging between a few.

• SonofbelmontSonofbelmont Posts: 147
    edited December 1969

thanks
    Is there any way I can match the exact size of my plane to the production frame though?

• GSSEVGSSEV Posts: 32
    edited December 1969

Hi,
    I would set the production frame by setting the output render size to 1280 x 720 or what ever you are using and lock the aspect ratio as well. then set view production frame and add a plane object that has a modifier to point at the camera so the plane is face on to the camera. Then all you need to adjust is the scale of the plane to fit the production frame exactly. Once this is set you just need to make sure you do not move the camera.
    I have used this method for some unique transitions.
    You could probably edit the plane size in the the motion tab when the plane is selected and set its values manualy to a multiple of your required size. I could probably do a scene file for you if you want just give me the sizes.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Have you tried going into your interactive renderer settings (circled arrow - upper right) and setting "Show Backdrop"?
    This only works in the directors camera. So you go into Directors camera and go "Set Position to" and select the camera you wish to render to.
    Also, you may be able to use an actual video clip in the backdrop and render right onto it.

edited December 1969

dragging a plane from icon to the camera in instances and parenting it gets the same angle etc
    then just resize it to fit production frame

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

I was wishing that we could use video in the height map import! lol
    No truly. That would be cool. Not sure why, but after reading what Wendy said and just... whatever... I thought of using the image as a height map and adjusting the actual height really low and setting it to the appropriate resolution and such for a means of following a path in the image. I might try something like that some time. lol

edited December 1969

use displacement on a plane with terrain shader

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited July 2013

8068 said:
    Hi
    I am trying to to do a simple animation to overlay in video editing.
    The animation relates to the image on the screen.
    I have exported a 1920x1080 PNG image from the video edit as a guide.
    My idea was to use this image as a Backdrop or Background.
    But when I try that I only see the image when I render, I need to see it as I animate,
    then render with out background to a PNG sequence with Alpha channel.
    Since I can't see the image while working that approach won't work.
    I could use the Image as a texture map on an object or plane but I need the exact
    aspect ratio. ( not squished or streched at all ).
    Any suggestions? would be nice if it worked with the Isometric camera as well.
    Thanks

Dart is the closest to what you want based on the description in your original post.

You need to load the image in the backdrop, go to the interactive render settings which is the up arrow with a circle around it at the top right of your window. Once the control panel opens, enable the Show Backdrop checkbox. Click okay. Whatever image, whether it be a still image, animation or image sequence will appear in your camera view.

To render the animation without the backdrop showing, in the Render room, under File Format, choose a format that supports alpha channels and then enable the Render Alpha Channel checkbox. I've had better results for compositing if I leave the Pre-multiply option disabled.

If you're rendering to an image sequence, pngs work well with alphas and it's a lossless format. For video codecs, I prefer Quicktime's Animation codec.

The aspect of the image/video used as a backdrop should be the same as your final render to avoid distortion. You should also have no problem using an isometric camera as long as the aspect ratio is the same as the backdrop.

Picture_4.png
    251 x 350 - 30K
    Picture_3.png
    239 x 212 - 19K
    Picture_2.png
    455 x 306 - 53K
    Picture_1.png
    191 x 29 - 7K
    Post edited by evilproducer on