Good Animation In A Movie You Might Have Missed

Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,194
edited December 1969 in Art Studio

"Iron Sky" is a Finnish-German-Australian movie from 2012. I enjoyed it a lot, and laughed a lot at some of the parodies. Its got some very nice special effects and animation, the kind I aspire to with Carrara (wishful thinking can be fun). You can see the trailer here:

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi3653215513/?ref_=tt_ov_vi

Its available for 3 day rental at Amazon for $4.

Comments

• ariocharioch Posts: 165
    edited July 2013

I thought that description sounded familiar so I checked .... yep, Netflix also has it, in physical DVD format and streaming! I may have to check this out now. Thanks for the tip!

EDIT: I've already watched it. I liked it. The blonde in particular kept my attention throughout the movie ;)

Post edited by arioch on
  • Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,194
    edited December 1969

arioch said:
    I thought that description sounded familiar so I checked .... yep, Netflix also has it, in physical DVD format and streaming! I may have to check this out now. Thanks for the tip!

EDIT: I've already watched it. I liked it. The blonde in particular kept my attention throughout the movie ;)

Glad you liked it. It appealed to me mostly due to all the references to pop culture. The space battles reminded me of the PC game "Freespace 2" from 1999, Gamespot gave it a 9.4 out of 10. The graphics are, of course, much improved, but the overall action is similar, meaning big honkin' ... everything.

The movie even references the even older game "Wing Commander", which had voice acting by another blond who also made ... movies:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ginger_Lynn

I did have to laugh when the "Iron Sky" folks had to get the blonde down to her underwear at one point. I don't recall a lot of scifi movies having scantily clad women ... oh, wait ...

3819207_f260.jpg
    260 x 357 - 31K
  • artd3Dartd3D Posts: 165
    edited December 1969

This was a very good movie, I really liked it. I told a friend about he liked it too.
    I watched it on Netflix. Very funny and great special effects.

edited December 1969

artd3D said:
    This was a very good movie, I really liked it. I told a friend about he liked it too.
    I watched it on Netflix. Very funny and great special effects.

I'm glad you liked it. For me, it is a sendup of scifi/invasion movies, in the same way "Shaun Of The Dead" is a sendup of Zombie movies (Ebert: "the zombies represent not a threat to civilization as we know it, but an interference with valuable drinking time.")

"Iron Sky" appeals to the animator in me due to the mix of futuristic sleek space ships, and steampunk big geared devices of all types. A favorite line, when the US astronaut holds up a small handheld device, calling it a computer. The Nazi scientist says, "That's not a computer! THIS is a computer!" (waving his arms at the huge room-filling collection of gears, pipes, cables, etc.) B-}

• cyborgty_074ff6c243cyborgty_074ff6c243 Posts: 132
    edited December 1969

I also enjoyed that movie.

On a side note, Lightwave was the 3D software application used to create that movie.

edited December 1969

CyBoRgTy_ said:

On a side note, Lightwave was the 3D software application used to create that movie.

I thought you might, having seen your animations. Here is favorite clip, a parody of the "Hitler in the bunker" scene in "Downfall", which has many funny subtitled versions on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D35tR_cR0ww

I did not know about Lightwave being used. Like many others, I got into LW and have seen some pretty good stuff done in it. Not being a modeler, its kind of overkill for me. Carrara will probably always be my animation tool of choice, and even has enough modelling for my modest needs.

• cyborgty_074ff6c243cyborgty_074ff6c243 Posts: 132
    edited December 1969

Steve K said:
    CyBoRgTy_ said:

I thought you might, having seen your animations. Here is favorite clip, a parody of the "Hitler in the bunker" scene in "Downfall", which has many funny subtitled versions on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D35tR_cR0ww

I did not know about Lightwave being used. Like many others, I got into LW and have seen some pretty good stuff done in it. Not being a modeler, its kind of overkill for me. Carrara will probably always be my animation tool of choice, and even has enough modelling for my modest needs.

Thanks for that YouTube link. It made me laugh. :lol:

I have Lightwave 11.5 (purchased months ago after seeing nice new features videos). I went through a VTC Lightwave tutorial a few weeks ago to get acquainted with it. So, I am about to start a personal challenge where I create (creating all assets from scratch) the same simple short movie project in Carrara as well as in Lightwave. About 2 or 3 weeks is the amount of time I will probably work on each version. I will then post the movies and share my workflow experiences.

Since I consider Carrara to be the 'swiss army knife' of 3D software, it will always be in my 3D software toolbox.

edited December 1969

CyBoRgTy_ said:
    So, I am about to start a personal challenge where I create (creating all assets from scratch) the same simple short movie project in Carrara as well as in Lightwave. About 2 or 3 weeks is the amount of time I will probably work on each version. I will then post the movies and share my workflow experiences.

Since I consider Carrara to be the 'swiss army knife' of 3D software, it will always be in my 3D software toolbox.

Sounds like quite a challenge. For me, the big advantage of Carrara is the direct support of Poser type content, including the pose dials, morphs, etc.. All loaded from Carrara's browser, no "import" required. I don't recall Lightwave having such capability, but its been a while. I'm looking forward to your conclusions.

BTW, I sent you a Private Message on another topic, lemme know when you get some time, thanks.