Why are Pro and Starter sets for characters only?

RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
edited May 2018 in Product Suggestions

What about THEME sets?

I think If DAZ explored having a themed set for JUST one specific GENRE of characters like they do for a new figure, they would have PLENTY of customers. Those items would be sold as a Pro Bundle, Starter Bundle and base set.

As an example, they could sell a Wild West set: three outfits for each type of character (Gunslinger, parson, barkeep for G8M and School marm, dance hall girl, hornery crazy tomboy for G8F), props and sets would be included (Sherrif's office and jail, hangman's gallows, saloon for sets and prospecting tools, drinking glasses and liqour bottles including ones that crack up and shatter, and sallon furniture that breaks when flung) and special effects (like dust clouds, burning barn, and some HDRI of desert locations both at night and during the day.

There could be a Victorian Set: three outfits for each type of character (detective investigator, loony professor, butler for G8M and wealthy socialite, inquisitve reporter, and reserved scientist for G8F), props and sets would be included (back alley, Big Ben, backalley fighting ring for sets and investigative tools, period scientific equipment, and an early model steam car) and special effects (like fog, lightning generating "frankenstein" device, and old timey camera with flash and resultant smoke)

For a Superhero set, come up with up with a base suit and then a number of people come up with their variations for an energy projector, hyperman type and dark vigilante in both sexes, as well as varying textures and morphs for the suit. Props and sets would be included (a "dangerous" room, a satellite headquarters, and a secluded cave HQ for sets and for props, street props like cars, manhole covers, fire hydrants and streetlamps that have morphs and texture sets to make them seem bent or broken, super science gadgets, and a =supergroup transport jet) and special effects (like power blasts, eye beams, warp tunnels, and various special effects )

Items that fit the theme of the moment can also be sold at a discount if the Pro or Starter bundles are bought. This would also PROLONG the "life" of the G8 series as well as DAZ may not feel the need to update AGAIN if they make enough money from the theme sets. You could ALSO redo the theme sets periodically as new DAZ tech like Dforce or Iray become available.

This seems like a good idea to me. What do YOU think? :)

P.S.: What are some theme sets YOU would like to see:?

Post edited by RKane_1 on

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,722

I like the idea, especially the western one and perhaps a scifi one. The big problem I see is I probably wouldn't buy it. I don't own a single pro bundle for any character and only a few of the single addon character addons, mainly due to the usefulness of what's included and the price.

While I love the idea of an all inclusive set, I personally would want it to be from the same vendor. I have been here long enough to gauge the quality of most of the vendors work and there are some I just pass on because of the quality of the work, which also plays a big part in why I don't buy many bundles. I know many others here also have their fav vendors and ones that probably have to think twice about when it comes to a purchase. I honestly don't see how having a bundle would be more cost efficient that getting the parts you need if they are all at the same discount.

So what happens when the theme is steampunk and that is all there is to offer? It leaves out everyone that is not into steampunk, or whatever the theme might be. As it is they already try to have a theme for the day based on the products included.

Then there is the issue of the amount of PAs it would take to create the amount of things you would like in a particular theme. What if they don't have enough of them interested in working on that specific genre.

We already have a few mini sets in the store, no reason we couldn't add a few more things to them, unless they never really sold well in the first place.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,041

they did do it a few times a fair few years ago 

the Supersuit was one example

ironman 13 sort of did it with their sets too

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037

I like the idea, especially the western one and perhaps a scifi one. The big problem I see is I probably wouldn't buy it. I don't own a single pro bundle for any character and only a few of the single addon character addons, mainly due to the usefulness of what's included and the price.

Yet the concept of a western one was intriguing to you. You are a conundrum, sir. :) I think you could be persuaded by quality and cost. When I buy Pro sets or Starter sets, I look at the overall value to me and if I can use what is provided. I have avoided certain sets because I could nopt use certain things yet if I were promised exactly what I need for a particular genre that I am interested in, I would gladly "buy in".

While I love the idea of an all inclusive set, I personally would want it to be from the same vendor. I have been here long enough to gauge the quality of most of the vendors work and there are some I just pass on because of the quality of the work, which also plays a big part in why I don't buy many bundles. I know many others here also have their fav vendors and ones that probably have to think twice about when it comes to a purchase. I honestly don't see how having a bundle would be more cost efficient that getting the parts you need if they are all at the same discount.

But the same vendor can only offer so much at the same time and most of what is needed for a great genre packcould easily be handled by the person BEST suited for the job. Tomalin and Stonemason for sets? Joequick and Luthbel for clothing? I don't see the downside of having your best act in concert with a few extras thrown in for good measure at a discount.

So what happens when the theme is steampunk and that is all there is to offer? It leaves out everyone that is not into steampunk, or whatever the theme might be. As it is they already try to have a theme for the day based on the products included.

Then there is the issue of the amount of PAs it would take to create the amount of things you would like in a particular theme. What if they don't have enough of them interested in working on that specific genre.

We already have a few mini sets in the store, no reason we couldn't add a few more things to them, unless they never really sold well in the first place.

But the sets are usally limited in being from one or two vendors whereas the Starter and Pro sets are rife with multiple qaulity vendors.

Sorry, can't see the downside you are trying to illustrate. "What if I don't want it?" Then you don't buy it, but if you are prone to making those type of genre renders like I am, the value is immediately apparent.

At minimum, they need to have genre SALES where all items that fit a certain genre are offered but only in combination discounts where the more you purchase of that set, the more you save.

edited May 2018
    th3Digit said:

they did do it a few times a fair few years ago 

the Supersuit was one example

ironman 13 sort of did it with their sets too

I have gladly purchased a few of Ironman13's items.

th3Digit said:

Also, didn';t the supersuit for Genesis sell well?

I know I bought it. :)

Post edited by RKane_1 on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

The did a Nerd bundle, when was it? Last year? The did a wedding / ballrom bundle also last year. Those were DO bundles not PA bundles I think, but am not sure.

The did a Nerd bundle, when was it? Last year? The did a wedding / ballrom bundle also last year. Those were DO bundles not PA bundles I think, but am not sure.

yeah, I saw those, but I don't do a lot wedding or nerd renders. Now if they were part of a colleg life set for the nerds with a jock and a popular guy/gril, along with a college campus type set, that may appeal.

• ArtsyDragonArtsyDragon Posts: 622
    edited May 2018

Here's what I'd like to see...

Three columns of purchasable items: Column A with a few figures (both Male and Female) or Characters, Column B with a few clothing/hair choices and Column C with a few Set/Prop/etc choices. 

Then a pricing scale: 

• The Bare Basics Deal: For X dollars you get 1 item from Column A, 2 items from Column B and 1 item from Column C
    • The Hobbyist Deal: For XX dollars you get 2 items from Column A, 2 items from Column B and 2 items from Column C
    • The BIG Deal: For XXX dollars you get a total of 3 items from Column A, 3 items from Column B and 3 items from Column C

Let the buyer decide what is useful to the buyer without shoving useless crap down their throats. This is, of course, assuming that each column has at least one good item in it.

Post edited by ArtsyDragon on
    illysArt said:

Here's what I'd like to see...

Three columns of purchasable items: Column A with a few figures (both Male and Female) or Characters, Column B with a few clothing/hair choices and Column C with a few Set/Prop/etc choices. 

Then a pricing scale: 

• The Bare Basics Deal: For X dollars you get 1 item from Column A, 2 items from Column B and 1 item from Column C
    • The Hobbyist Deal: For XX dollars you get 2 items from Column A, 2 items from Column B and 2 items from Column C
    • The BIG Deal: For XXX dollars you get a total of 3 items from Column A, 3 items from Column B and 3 items from Column C

Let the buyer decide what is useful to the buyer without shoving useless crap down their throats. This is, of course, assuming that each column has at least one good item in it.

I can always get behind choice. Even one where any combination of columns would work like 3 or more items bought gets 20%, 4 gets 35% , 5 gets 50% etc.