Textures

Chris Fox ArtChris Fox Art Posts: 380
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

After trying Carrara 8 Pro a bit out i have lots of ideas in my mind i would like to realize but i will start with small, easy to do projects and will make bigger projects later, step by step and one of my ideas i want to realize is i want to mak a 3d model of my cars.

So i think it won't be a problem but my question is: where can i get or make textures for my car? If i want to have it realistic i think i should have to take pictures from my cars from all sides and the car have to be clean but i think one problem of that will be the light and reflection as i think i just want pure textures without shadow or lights in it as it is something i can add seperate, so what would be the best way to make them look like real?

(i have Photoshop CS2 for editing pictures and so, so all i need i should have on my pc)

Comments

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

You're getting bit ahead of yourself. To paint a car, you need a car. Now I may be misinterpreting what you are saying, but if you want to make a model of cars you own, that is going to take some doing. Modeling cars is not a starter project.

You may want to look at http://dmi.chez-alice.fr/models1b.html for a model of you car; carrara can load practically anything for mesh file types, so .obj and .lwo are good; fixing the shaders on them can be a real lesson in frustration though lol But that will be great to go with your started projects, lampposts, trash cans, park benches, streets and curbs, are all good start projects.

Painting would be done in the shader room. How you do it is dependent on the model it's self. If it is a base model everything will have to be in the texture; chrome strips, car insignias {that is when a photo of the car be used}. A more elaborate model where everything is modeled in, you just need a simple shader to paint the car. No need of a texture.

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

And... lighting depends on what environments for taking the picture are available to you among other things. More importantly, lighting for photography where there are no extra shadows or highlights on something as big as a car is also advanced photography/lighting. You would want to search photography tutorials for doing that. Try Youtube searches for 'photo light car' or similar searches.

• Chris Fox ArtChris Fox Art Posts: 380
    edited December 1969

thank you for the link,

of course i dont want that as a beginning project, i just thinking about that after i have finished some smaller projects, when i got better with that program.

I think about photo realistic cars like from Gran Turismo 6

the link doesnt have my cars but i think i could use similar car models from that and modefy it like they have to be.

thought about the textures it is possible to work with high resolution texture pattern but metallic colored or pearl color pattern are very hard to find, if i search on google for blue metallic textures it shows blue metal but not metallic, so if that all can be done with shaders it would be nice.

gt6.jpg
    658 x 370 - 81K
  • Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

Yes it can be done in shaders and there are some car specific shader in the store but unfortunately the ones I know about are DS shaders. If it is a straight paint job, no extras that is the route I would suggest is shaders rather then texturing. For Details, you could add a texture for the specific details with alpha masks, assuming Carrrara allows that. I'm not sure, but most modern 3D packages do in some fashion.

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Paint effects are a shader in carrara. Photos wont help because it is an effect of light, shadow, and camera angle.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited July 2013

hi chiisuchianu

try this
    drop in a sphere, then go to the shaders that come with carrara in your browser
    find "metals"
    drag and drop a metallic shader onto the sphere
    click the sphere then click the paintbrush in the tool bar top right
    you will be in the shader room
    look at the shader that you have
    chances are the shader will be anisotropic (the top choice in the shader list is normally multichanell I think)
    thisd will give you a metallic finish to your shader
    it's a good starting point to what you need

you could put your rivets and seams etc in the bump channel,
    you can also use a normal map in the bump channel

remember that if you have a reflection set in the shader then there needs to be something there to refclect like a sky etc - otherwise it will be black reflection

Post edited by Headwax on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Ahhh. But to see reflections, there must be something to reflect.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

let me refcelt on that for a while :) why is blodie reflect so har to type?