round hole in a sqare vertex box

How do you cut a hole in the top of a square vertex object?

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

with a boolean operation?

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited May 2018

probably the simplest method is to use sub division smoothing along with creased edges, to keep the box edges square.

In the vertex modeler, create a box,. use dynamic extrude to create an inset poly on one face.

Select this face and hit delete,.

select the main edges of you box and go to Model / Crease edges,.

then  go to the right hand panels and enable "Smooth",. one or two levels of smoothing should give you a nice rounded hole.

You also have an option in the smoothing settings to "convert" that into real geometry

Pics to help

click for big

Note on boolean,.

I always equate this to a power tool, like a chain saw,. you need to know what you're doing before you're let loose with it.

booleans can be useful but the results often give the modeler more probelms than solutions.

in order for a cylinder with 10 sides to cut a hole in a box with only 4 sides,. it has to create more vertices and link those to the rest of the surrounding geometry.

if the Box has the same amount of geometry as the cylinder,. (and both objects are positioned well) then the results should be good.

the question is at what point you realise that with 10 divisions to the box the hole could just as easily be created without using booleans.

with sub-division smoothing,. you're creating "virtual geometry" to make a square hole appear to be round.

boxhole 1.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 294K
    boxhole 2.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 278K
    Post edited by 3DAGE on
  • DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

I use to make that with the Misty's solution but, so much crazy polygons...

Andy, you are a genius!

kewl!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

much easier than my method too of inserting a circle and deleting the box face then bridging opposing sides and filling the other polygons, emptying the circle one, triagulating any Ngons

• Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on

Hi Selina :)

it should work in any modeler that can do subdivision smoothing,. I don't use hexagon, although i have it, it's always been a bit to crashy and  kind of clunky,.. just moving around and confirming every step...

The vertex modeler in carrara does most of what hexagon can do and staying in carrara avoids import export.

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Here is my method of cutting holes in Carrara

Another video with the same method:

why do they put round pizza in a square box? laugh

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    Mistara said:

because putting a square pizza in a round box would never work wink

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Veronika, that is brilliant.

must remember, (a) vertex to center, (b) mid edge to center

Thank you Ted! Glad you like it.smiley

Excellent technique Vyusur :)

there's always more than one way to get there,

Thank you, Andy!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988
    Mistara said:

it's just as hard putting devon on a slice of bread!

edited March 2021

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Carrara defines an edge as hard or smooth in the mesh, where as other software does it via smoothing angle in the shaders. You may find you can harden the edges in Hexagon that way.

BTW, those little diamonds near the edges are worth fixing, cos they can make a mess of your mesh further down the road. You might even consolidate those whole areas so they match the single point joints on the inside. Time spent tidying up the mesh early on pays dividends later when you don't have to fix stuff!

Similarly, chamfering the edges is better done before you start making the holes, cos it means less cleanup.

edited March 2021

Thank you, Selina.

I've been using this technique in Hexagon for a couple of years so far.

th3Digit said:
    Mistara said:

because putting a square pizza in a round box would never work wink

would be messy   lol

Stezza said:
    Mistara said:

it's just as hard putting devon on a slice of bread!

buh, he's be perfect as a pizza topping laugh

• MerKhrysMerKhrys Posts: 89
    edited May 2018

I prefer th3Digit's method (inserting a circle) over 3DAge's (subdivision) because it makes a rounder hole. However, if it's not for close-ups, it's fine, and it's indeed simpler.

Btw, I've made a little tutorial about the 'inserting a circle' method in this thread: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/172031/holes-without-using-boolean

Vyusur's technique is brilliant, though I would have made one complete holed (or "buttonned") face and edit/replicate it + model/weld the whole.

I use boolean only for unions. I've given up using substraction and intersection. I can't say it doesn't work, but the result is most of the time a mess, even with simple shapes.

Another way of making a box with a hole on top:

- From top view draw a circle. Set the number of points to 16.
    - From that circle use dynamic extrusion and go outwards to make a holed disk (see fig 1 below). Make it large enough.
    - Select the 5 leftmost vertices. Hit 's' key for scale mode and put '0' for the 'Y' axis on the right pane (fig 2).
    - Repeat this with the 5 rightmost vertices, and with the 5 topmost and lowermost ones ('0' for the 'X' axis).
    - Click on one edge of the square part, click 'loop' on the right pane and then model/crease edge (fig 3).

From there, go back to the director's camera and extrude downwards holding the 'ctrl' key to make the sides of the box (fig 4)

Hit 'ctrl-F' to fill the bottom. Optional: tesselate/vertex to center (fig 5).

fig 1.jpg
    1009 x 841 - 182K
    fig 2.jpg
    1010 x 847 - 206K
    fig 3.jpg
    1010 x 847 - 204K
    fig 4.jpg
    1010 x 847 - 236K
    fig 5.jpg
    1010 x 847 - 256K
    Post edited by MerKhrys on
    edited May 2018

A variant of what I explained above, if you want the hole going through the box: from fig 3, use "Model/Add Thickness" then crease the 2 circles (fig 6 below). You can set the modeling level to 1 to make the hole smoother.

fig 6.jpg
    1010 x 847 - 238K
    Post edited by MerKhrys on

both methods produce a circular hole with 8 vertices ( either real geometry,.. or virtual (using sub d))

One method creates real geometry,. One method uses subdivision to create Virtual geometry which can be optionally converted to real geometry

edited March 2021

edited March 2021

3DAGE said:

both methods produce a circular hole with 8 vertices ( either real geometry,.. or virtual (using sub d))

One method creates real geometry,. One method uses subdivision to create Virtual geometry which can be optionally converted to real geometry

I've made 2 pictures to explain why I said it makes a less round hole.

I applied your method to a square.

In the hole I draw an oval with a definition of 8 (so twice the number of sides of the hole with your method).

First picture is with no subdivision to show the initial shapes. In the second I pushed the smoothing level up to 5 for the holed square, and set it to 2 for the oval.

I know that whatever the method it's never perfectly round (except with nurb modelers), but I think that with only 4 edges it's too noticeable that it's not round. But, as I said, if it's not for close-ups, it's fine.

no subd.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 284K
    with subd.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 285K

dheres a hole in my heart can only be filled by yooooo ...
    circle cant fit where a square should be ... -whooole hearrrted 

edited March 2021

Selina said:
    Mistara said:

dheres a hole in my heart can only be filled by yooooo ...
    circle cant fit where a square should be ... -whooole hearrrted 

I bet Dr Who can do it wink

smiley

heartheartbroken heartheartheart

edited March 2021