Using M4/V4 Mocaps With Animal Characters?

I have in mind an animation with animals doing human actions.  I've got a lot of mocaps based on M4 and V4 that I'd like to use, but it seems many of the animal characters are rigged differently ... probably because they have four legs typically.  I've had luck with Troll models, but not much else, yet, although I don't have a lot of animal chacters to test.  Any suggestions for animal characters?

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

you need to rename nodes and bake rotations

it is doable but a bit of work

converting to weightpainting needed too

it may actually be easier to retarget the animation

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

using iClone to do it and exporting a BVH it is much easier

• 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626

Hi Steve - I dont think Ive come across any model that you could apply [successfully ] a V4/M4 motion because as you say the bone structure different .though I recall making a mouse walk using a bvh,

Here is a tut from Wendy that just might help -I saved it from original post..Probably need some experimenting and if not helpfulIts still a useful thing to know about.

I dont know what sort of animals you have in mind - maybe the toon series on sale at moment https://www.daz3d.com/at-the-zoo-ready-to-render

Wendy on Attaching Conforming Clothing for animation

0oseven's     SUMMARY
    Select the clothing
    open in vertex room
    select edit /convert to other modeller
    use primitive option
    back to assembly room
    click animation/ attach skeleton
    clothes object should then move with figure.[ steve this may work on an animal character - you might have to delete its bone structure first ]
    NEXT
    tweaks are needeed to fix poke through during animation
    stil figuring best way to do this

I never though to try it
    until seeing how Genesis Autofit worked
    but
    you can take ANY dynamic Poser prop clothing
    ANY conforming clothing converted to an unrigged vertex model
    in fact ANYTHING!!!
    even a tree, piece of furniture, a vertex object of any description
    AND select hip in ANY Daz figure as is, rigged loaded and shift then model/object whatever!!!!
    then choose Attach skeleton
    the object will be rigged to the figure and move with it

yes I have done this before reattaching a skeleton
    but
    YOU DON'T NEED TO DETACH IT from a rigged Daz figure loaded from your runtime
    a Poser dynamic kimono prop I attached, 
    you can then import aniBlocks, apply poses etc to the figure and it follows the bones as if one figure
    the hair was converted to an unrigged vertex object and also attached
    you can attach as many objects as you wish after others are already attached and weight paint each.
    the boots are conforming clothes I added afterwards, they still work too!
    I am impressed, rigging clothes made easy! 
    the short answer
    put a prop on a figure sizing it to fit
    with it selected hold shift and also select the figure's hip
    go to animation at the top of the assembly room window
    select attach skeleton
    and you are done!

the long answer
    you will prob need to go into the vertex room and weight paint each joint's influence on the various parts of the mesh to get it to conform nicely 

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited May 2018

Hi, I usually stick animal heads , paws etc on m4 body. Parent them to head or hands.

You can either in Carrara hide all parts of the model that you dont want seen - 

Or in studio or poser a bit of a fiddle will just leave you with the eg head complete with morphs - if you dont want to carry the extra geometry .

Example here - heads on three bears bodies https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3595551/#Comment_3595551

Can't recall the step by step for that thou- its certainly the best way though as your hot point is in the right place.

I did ask in studio forum and received a stepp by step - but cant find it sorry

edit here it is https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/159971/studio-help-in-saving-only-part-of-a-figure-eg-head-but-keeping-morphs-and-rigging#latest

Post edited by Headwax on
  • Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226

Okay, thanks for all the prompt responses, those all sound productive.  My goal is fairly short term, so I was (naively) hoping for an animal figure that had a M4/V4 type rig/skeleton "as purchased", and that retained its full animal appearance.  Besides the various Trolls I own (a handful), the DAZ Millenium Gorilla works well, and has the advantage of the "Space Apes"  add-on product which I also own.  So maybe some good scifi animation possibilities there.  I'm guessing I need an animal that can stand on its hind legs and so has a similar skeleton to M4/V4.  One that caught my eye but have not bought is the "Meerkat":

https://www.daz3d.com/meerkat

It looks very nice for a comedy animation, if the mocaps work.  "A group of meerkats is called a 'mob', 'gang' or 'clan'  "  (Wikipedia)   If anybody could try a M4/V4 mocap with it, I'd appreciate it.  Or any animal similar. 

My wife has been to Madagascar and watched lemurs cavorting, even better than meerkats for animation, I think, if a non-toon model is available and compatible with M4/V4 mocaps.  Yes, I ask a lot, I know., but watch this:

Thanks again.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

cuties smiley

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226
    Mistara said:

cuties smiley

I agree.  Unfortunately, I got the Meerkat and it does not work with the M4/V4 mocaps, at least not "as is".  So far, all I've found is the DAZ Gorilla.