More Male Genesis 8 Content Please

2»

Comments

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032
    edited May 2018

For all the complaints with the G8 DAZ Originals Pro Bundles I find myself wanting to buy some of them like Penny 8, Alexandra 8, Floyd 8, Edward 8 whereas with the Genesis 3 Pro Bundles that was not the case. Once I got Michael 7 & Victoria 7 & the DO morphs products I was pretty much set for 'realism' with DAZ but the new approach with Genesis 8 means I need to augment my purchases now because those products bring something I can't dial in as realistically with the DO morph products. 

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,492
    Dave230 said:

That is the only excuse. If you depend on what you sell to keep a roof over your head and food on the table, then sales are the only thing that matters, not what one or more users think is needed.

If sales matter, then please explain the reasoning behind characters like Floyd, Ollie, Edie, and Penny, which have never appeared in the entire history of Daz.  You would think they would cover their basics first, like characters that already have a longer history.

They saw how well George did, and realized there was a market for characters outside of their historical norm.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,602
    edited May 2018

I personally don't care for George, Floyd, Edie or Penny. =-) So it appears my tastes once again don't conform with the forums. But that's alright- I'm accustomed to that.

except that I do think there has been a glut of them lately. We've had 3 older male figures released and I'm still waiting for Gianni, and Lee. But since the new guy is Daryl, I suspect we won't be seeing them. I also suspect that we will see Generation 9 sooner than we did in previous cycles.

I predict next month we'll see Mabel who is doubtless another senior and maybe Daryl.

Post edited by Serene Night on

I hadn't heard of Daryl. That's sort of a 60s name and been ages since I've known someone with that name. That name sounds sort of pretty boy to me so maybe Daryl 8 will be added to pretty boys Michael 8, Darius 8, Lucus 8, Edward 8, and Owen 8 and the DO characters included in those bundles. Of realistic models there has only been Floyd 8 that could be considered average for a geriatric age fellow.

edited May 2018

There was a hair fit spotted recently. Daryl reminds me of the name of the character in walking dead.  Could be a teen I guess... 

I hope for a Leo type... but the name does not evoke a hotbody hunk to me, but I’d love to be wrong.

i still would like a guy 8 That’s about the only toon I like and he has good content. But so far no ones spotted a sign.

• nomad-ads_8ecd56922enomad-ads_8ecd56922e Posts: 1,938
    edited May 2018

The name Deryl brings to mind a recurring line from an old TV sit-com. There were thse two middle-aged sorta-misfit guys who were also a little bit dumb and clueless... and they'd always throw open the door and walk in saying, "Hello, I'm Deryl, and this is my other brother Deryl." (The names might have been spelled different, mind you.  It's been awhile since I saw that sit-com, and it wasn't one I watched religiously.)

On the other hand, it also brings to mind an 80s sci-fi adventure movie for kids named D.A.R.Y.L., about an artificially-created child with a computer for a brain who'd been constructed as part of a military tech expirement.

So, yeah, no telling for sure what direction this Daryl thing might be going.  For all we know, its a clone of Deryl Hannah.  :D

Post edited by nomad-ads_8ecd56922e on
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,388

There was a Dwayne spotted, but I've not seen anything about a Daryl...

Ah yes.. probably got the name wrong. Dwayne.

Oh, Dwayne I thought we'd most agreed was a superhero type reminiscent of Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson although it could be simply based on some 'Joe Average' that one of the DAZ artists knows.

I don't know. Dwayne isn't a typical superhero name... We'll have to see... Could be anything from Nerd to Teen and anything between.

• Phoenix1966Phoenix1966 Posts: 1,632

The name Deryl brings to mind a recurring line from an old TV sit-com. There were thse two middle-aged sorta-misfit guys who were also a little bit dumb and clueless... and they'd always throw open the door and walk in saying, "Hello, I'm Deryl, and this is my other brother Deryl." (The names might have been spelled different, mind you.  It's been awhile since I saw that sit-com, and it wasn't one I watched religiously.)

That was Newhart. The three supporing characters were brothers: Larry, Daryl and the other brother Daryl. Larry was the only one who talked out of the three brothers and introduced all three of them that way.

• edited June 2018

A bit late: I'm not exactly sure I understand the problem. For the figures, with the body and head morphs you can make yourself as many male types you like. I don't miss f.e. the G2 teen models (ok, a bit) because I can make my own from G8.

Where I see a great demand is proper clothing and "armor". It is unbelievable how few at least sligthly realistically looking historical clothing (the G8 Roman clothing is a nice exception, but I don't like the look of the fabric and textures) and armor is available, after M3 died. I know that one of the main reasons for me to switch to Genesis 3 was the Peasant Clothing set, well made, usable with and without pants (because you could make the skirt longer) and fortunately with several texture sets after some time. I still use it as main clothing for G8 in historical or fantasy scenes. Luthbels Wise Wizard clothing is a really good addition, sent by the gods.

How is it so difficult to make acceptable armor? Are the vendors not allowed to make realistic stuff? There was/is no (not even one) ok mail armor after M4 which is good looking and versatile at the same time. Helmets are quite often stupidly made, too small, not scalable and not easily usuable with hair , I still mainly use very old non-Daz pieces. Plate armor is really terrible mostly (M4 had a good one). I do not want to speak about the several versions of ancient "Greek" warriors, mostly childish "300" crap, but even if not not at all realistic (M3 had well formed Greek stuff). Also no one ever got it to make a realistic Roman sandal or Greek sandal. Realistic male footwear for medieval scenes does not exist because according to the vendors all historical guys of all time wore boots (which they did not). So sad.

Post edited by wolfgangzeiler_9d28beaba3 on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,961

Rigid armor is incredibly hard to rig properly, because the way conforming clothing works, any morphs will cause the armor to distort and bend and look horrible.

And if you set up the armor to NOT be affected by morphs, then many morphs will clip through the armor.

Not only that, it's trivially easy, for rigid armor, for poses to cause parts of armor to clip through bits.

I mean, I'd love to see more rigid armors, too, but ... sooo hard.

couldn't  you just make the body the armor and somehow just make the head visible? I mean if the characters are wearing full plate I’m not sure why the need to have it conform anyway....

• Luckily I don't have to use rigid armor often for my scenes. My main problem is more the look of the armor parts. Knight Champion for M4 really looked good, Wolf Armor for Genesis was also ok and had good textures (but without a helmet, meh), but the more recent sets are mostly bad, even if the guys are in the default pose.

I understand the difficulties to make plate armor but this justifies not the lack of good looking and easy to use mail or scale armor. I think it is not fair or even allowed to take one product and name my problems with it, even if it would be more easy. My critic goes mostly to the design, too short, too open at the throat and too often with huge slits at the legs area. Perhaps I demand too much.

Well with dForce DAZ Studio needs the option when we put clothing on character with presets a check box to disable morph transfer and also autofit, except for scale and position. 

• Well with dForce DAZ Studio needs the option when we put clothing on character with presets a check box to disable morph transfer and also autofit, except for scale and position. 

Click the gear icon on the slider for the morph you wish to disable and select Parameter Settings, then uncheck AutoFollow.

Well with dForce DAZ Studio needs the option when we put clothing on character with presets a check box to disable morph transfer and also autofit, except for scale and position. 

Click the gear icon on the slider for the morph you wish to disable and select Parameter Settings, then uncheck AutoFollow.

Thanks

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,375
    edited June 2018

Thanks

If there are a lot of properties, right-click on the Parameters pane, set it in Edit mode (if it isn't), then you can select multiple properties (click/shift-click/ctrl-click) and right-click on any one to turn AutoFollow off for the lot. I'd meant to check that was true for my first reply but forgot.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Thanks

If there are a lot of properties, right-click on the Parameters pane, set it in Edit mode (if it isn't), then you can select multiple properties (click/shift-click/ctrl-click) and right-click on any one to turn AutoFollow off for the lot. I'd meant to check that was true for my first reply but forgot.

thanks

• edited June 2018
    Oso3D said:

People who create both male and female content have REPEATEDLY stated that their sales for male content are consistently lower than that for female content.

I've heard this as well. But here's the infinite loop that the male content is in: there is little of it, so what little there is has little support (add-ons, etc). And with little support, comes lower sales figures.  Doesn't neccessarily mean they don't sell well.  Put it this way, if I made 100 cupcakes and sold them for a $1 that's $100 and if I made 5 brownies and sold them for the same $1 that's a whole $5. 

Of course when you sit down and compare $100 in cookies to $5 in brownies you automatically say "I should just stick to cookies".  But the consumer cannot buy something that isn't there.  That doesn't take into account the amount of people that came around looking for brownies - but there were none, so they settled for a cookie instead. And how many times they asked about brownies!

I've been involved in Poser & now DS since 1995 - the two most requested things I've seen since then: male content and normal clothes for females.

Post edited by katherinepoche_e11a5b0e7e on
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,388
    Oso3D said:

People who create both male and female content have REPEATEDLY stated that their sales for male content are consistently lower than that for female content.

I've heard this as well. But here's the infinite loop that the male content is in: there is little of it, so what little there is has little support (add-ons, etc). And with little support, comes lower sales figures.  Doesn't neccessarily mean they don't sell well.  Put it this way, if I made 100 cupcakes and sold them for a $1 that's $100 and if I made 5 brownies and sold them for the same $1 that's a whole $5.

Except that we are talking about digital products which don't have a limited numbers of copies to sell.

Of course if you have 2 products for males and 10 for females in your store then the overall revenue you get from female content is likely to be much higher, but that's not the point the creators are making: their point is when they create one product for males it sells less than one equivalent product for females.

If you're a professional vendor with limited amount of time and bills to pay, and you can spend that time either creating a male product which is likely to sell 100 copies or a female product which likely to sell 200 copies, which one do you choose? From time to time you can afford to create a product which will sell less if you can offset that with revenue generated from bigger sellers, but at the end of the day you need to do what will put food on the table and a roof over your head, and usually that means creating what sells more most of the time.

I've been involved in Poser & now DS since 1995 - the two most requested things I've seen since then: male content and normal clothes for females.

And since then, vendors who have tried selling those have consistently discovered that they don't sell as much as they'd like.

In general, I'm inclined to believe the consistent explanation from people with actual experience doing this sort of thing.

And the consistent explanation, from MANY experients and trials, is that male content just doesn't sell as well.

That vendors still put out male content and monster content and other, riskier, content is pretty cool, actually. Imagine if they didn't.

I notice on checking the popularity of products that I've actually bought the among those the Decimator is number 12 in popularity so I think male content, and guessing from the increased DO toons production and producption of middle aged and old realitic human models, that many more people are buying DAZ content to make games and that will entail higher sales of male content. So I guess the usual ratio of female to male content will eventually change but I don't think it will even be 1 to 1, just like fashion magazines and pipup calendars aren't 1 to 1 female to male. If games ever become the driving force for the DAZ 3D store watchout because than the ratio will reverse itself.

edited June 2018

There are really more than a few reasons the stores male content doesn’t sell.  Number one reason of course is people aren’t buying it because the target audience isn’t here. The stores market and core buyers buy white females for sexytime renders. That’s where the lionshare of the money is going.

to change that you need to target a different audience.... those who want to render men. 

Thats where the problem lies. People who want to render men won’t be interested in a store whose majority focus is female content unless they like to render that too.    But if you look at the gallery you can see what Daz users are doing with the products they buy and there are a smattering of guys but the vast majority of art here is from artists who render pretty girls. 

The forums sadly don’t represent the Daz core buyers who buy the same content repeatedly. 

So what to do? Make male content and so it is available. I do this with free poses.

convince your friends to buy men’s things. 

Make and market your own product line

Render male and show the men’s product that are here.

Buy men’s products when they are available.

• GeffeGeffe Posts: 63

I would kill for a good, plain, regular mens suit for G8M (with dforce, and preferably at least the jacket being able to open and close, if not also the shirt). Something that would look appropriate on an FBI agent, accountant, businessman, mobster or politician. Y'know, the kind of suit we all see either in person or on tv every single day. There are a few half-decent casual dforce suits, but nothing that looks more formal, yet not heading into tuxedo or flashy wallstreet territory.

• LintonLinton Posts: 542

Here's a thought, Don't get PAs to make the male content. Have DAZ itself invest in creating some the content users are after (even if that means paying a PA to create something) Commission some of the PAs who HAVE made male content. Just don't make the same stuff we have seen. I am going to list a few items we have seen the exact same stuff of over the last few generations: Egyptian, Suits, Yakuza, Casual wear. Space Suits, Military Gear, Skinny Jeans. and most without MORPHS! 

Where is the fantasy armour for men? Korean style clothing, as opposed to Japanese and Chinese as the ONLY Asian style. DAncing pants? Shorts that are not just boardshorts. Soccer gear, rugby uniforms, casual short shorts, cargo shorts/pants, loungewear, zip-offs, 3/4 pants, jeans with rip morphs, cuts offs, pocket bulge for wallets and keys, belts and knife sets. 

Aeon Soul granted me a wonderful gift, releasing the men's sci fi https://www.daz3d.com/20-50-cyberpunk-everyday-clothes-for-genesis-3-male-s and the https://www.daz3d.com/the-legend-for-genesis-3-and-8-female-s that I Auto fit to male characters. I'd buy more of their male content if they created it. Mec4D, Yura, Sickleyield et al, make and have made some great products for men, and I buy almost everything they release.

If there isn’t money in doing it for PAs, why would Daz do it?

• vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,297
    Oso3D said:

If there isn’t money in doing it for PAs, why would Daz do it?

And that is the sad truth of the matter. On the upside, the money that would have gone in to buying new figures has instead been whittling away my comic book, and video game, pull lists.