Is this a challenge ?

0oseven0oseven Posts: 626
edited May 2018 in Carrara Discussion

You may have already come across this but I think it is about the most photo realistic render I've seen. Created in Daz Studio and Iray

.An inspiration and challenge to match it in Carrara perhaps ? 

This image is in the Galleries  https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/568681/ where you can blow it up 

Angel

Post edited by 0oseven on

Comments

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

It does look very good. Iray is a very good renderer and with the right content you can get some great results - and as content is made for Daz Studio / Iray, you don't need to continuously adjust shaders that you have to do in Carrara.

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496

It's a really amazing render, but I think the bar for realism is set much higher than that.

I wouldn't normally critique a gallery image this strongly (I do think this is a great image and if I commented on it that's probably about all I'd say, plus maybe pointing out something specific I like about it) but since it was brought up here specifically as an example of realism, with apologies to the original artist if they should happen to see this...

The hair looks very 3D to me, especially around the back of the neck where you can see the transparencies on the various hair planes interacting. That super strong DOF effect really kills it for me too. It looks great, but you rarely see photographs or movie stills that push it that far when the focus is a person. We in the 3D hobby world are fond of our DOF, `cause it's cool, but we use it much more liberally than professional photographers seem to (you can easily find counter-examples, but I mean in general). This was pointed out to me a few years ago by a friend who teaches photography at the university level and I can't stop noticing it now.

I can't point to one off-hand, but I know there are much more realistic renders in the galleries here.

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

I can sign under each letter MDO, and I want to add that the composition is far from perfect. According to the laws of the composition, more space should be left on the side where the model looks.

• Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on
    edited March 2021

• Selina said:

Just a general comment on 'realism' what sometimes separates a digital render from a photograph is noise. Renderers such as iRray, Lux(Core)Renderer and Octane are prone to produce noise by their very nature and I think this adds to the realism.

Which image looks better?

Selina

noise can set mood and then I recommend using some anologue filter to really amp this up - a fake ISO1000+ with IRay is so damn easy  wink 

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited May 2018
    Selina said:

The biggest niggle for me (besides the badly stranded hair just above her shoulder) is her eye - it's not right at all... Here's a comparison with similar lighting - see how the iris is illuminated and there's no hard black line between it and the cornea.

Selina

very observant - the model looks like she has a little proptosis - I'd go for kerataconus but the corneal apex should drroop with gravity.

Her iris is too far forward.

they haven't done too bad a job with the sclerotic scatter - perhaps been too enthusisatic as it should be more subtle etc

that said much better than I could do

edit also you could be really picky and say her earl lobes arnt being stretched neough with that earing :)

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited March 2021

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

You've done an excellent job with that tea shader - it looks good enough to drink. yes

edited March 2021

edited May 2018

Stunning shaders on both mug and tea, Selina. I think, any HDRI and setting soft shadows would make the picture looking more realistic.

Post edited by Vyusur on
    edited May 2018

Great work as others have said. The thing for me that detracts from the realism is the surface the cup and saucer are on, that looks rather CGI, but the cup and the liquid themselves look terrific.

Post edited by PhilW on
  • mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701

I'm with @0oseven on this one... I had to stop and look this for a full minute when it came out, and still wasn't certain it wasn't partially real/composited. I also appreciate that the composition doesn't follow the tried/true rules, but I think it works better because of it, and I can't articulate why. It just works for me. Not sure if Selina's eye observation and the earring weight will bother me from now on :^) It's still a great story-telling image. I want to know more...

Selina, your liquid in the tea is amazing, esp. the edge of the liquid against the cup. wow!

--ms

0oseven said:

You may have already come across this but I think it is about the most photo realistic render I've seen. Created in Daz Studio and Iray

.An inspiration and challenge to match it in Carrara perhaps ? 

This image is in the Galleries  https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/568681/ where you can blow it up 

Angel

• IKtorIKtor Posts: 44

Wierd, realism be seen through the camera, not from the human eye :)

Did you know that all interpretations of background and lights overexposed are because cameras don't read fast as human eye? What is the true of realism here, backgrounds overexposed or as human eye see nothing is burning?

edited March 2021

That's a noticable improvement from an already good srtaing point!

edited March 2021

edited May 2018

Your image was drastically improved, Selina. As for soft shadows, it's a matter of taste.

Here is several examples of a pan that I modeled and textured in Carrara. The first one is out of the box, with default distant light casting dull and hard shadows. The next images are with “enable soft shadows” checkbox on and with different hdri as background.

Doc11.png
    1300 x 900 - 2M
    Doc6.png
    1300 x 900 - 1M
    Roasted_mush9.png
    1300 x 900 - 1M
    Doc5.png
    1300 x 900 - 848K
    Doc14.png
    1300 x 900 - 2M
    Doc16.png
    1300 x 900 - 2M
    2018-05-14_1312.png
    334 x 287 - 26K
    Post edited by Vyusur on
    edited March 2021

Hi Selina! Thanks for the nice comment. I have little interest in culinary traditions. I am guided by personal preferences in cooking. When I was cooking those mushrooms, my goal was to get some nice pictures. I don't remember eating that dish.

edited March 2021

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

@Selina and @Vyusur - fanastic modeling, texturing, lighting, and rendering.  Now I'm really hungry and want some tea.  Thanks for drawing attention to where the tea touches the ceramic cup.  That is great.

edited March 2021

• 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626

A lot critiscism on the tech side all justified because as a rendered 3d image it might not be perfect but as 'mindsong' said - he had to look twice.

The point is most people  do not put a picture under the same scrutiny as an artist when the look at it - Its just an image they see -, they like or dislike it or think it is a real photo or not - not spemding a lot of time looking for imperfections. So from that viewpoint I thought the picture was VERY realistic as I had to look more than twice. WE of course have the advantage over average joe because we start out knowing its 3d art.

With that in mind came the question - Is this a challenge ? Can such work be created in Carrara ? Salena is well on the way to showing it can though human is always harder to make realistic. I see dozens of wonderful renders but somehow I just know they are not real people.

All this from a layman ha ha !  

Ted, thanks a lot!

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701
    0oseven said:

WE of course have the advantage over average joe because we start out knowing its 3d art.

This struck me, especially the word 'advantage'... I wonder that I've lost the 'magic', when I now scrutinize renders rather than just enjoy them. That said, perhaps the magic is simply moved to a higher level, where we are equally impressed with true mastery now (e.g. the initial thread render, selina's tea, anything by howie farks, alphatango, philw, etc., many of the NPR works). The magic is still there as I browse these days, but it has certainly changed as my standards of appreciation rise, and my ability to meet my own demands continues to perpetually slide just out of reach, heh.

0oseven said:

All this from a layman ha ha !  

But part of the appeal of Carrara is that it affordably allows the discriminating layman to achieve results that equal anything being produced anywhere, albiet often with some additional hoop jumps, creative hacks, and fenric's/philemo's tools :)

cheers,

--ms