Going Hair Nuts

Hair. Shader. Is. Driving. Me. NUTS!

I'm trying to make it a really dark brown, but no matter what i do, its not dark at all when i render.

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

hairy coconuts cheeky

too much ambient light?

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,848

Iray or 3Delight? What hair shader product?

barbult said:

Iray or 3Delight? What hair shader product?

Carrara forum wink

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,848

Oops. I just surfed in from the Recent Discussions. blush

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738

Take the highlight way way way down, by default it's set way too high

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144
    edited May 2018

Maybe your hair is too fine - the hair shader seems to get lighter as the hair gets thinner. I usually set the hair to the medium settings and Scaling 1, then use the thickness settings in the shader to start at maybe 80-90% and taper to 30-50% - don't go too low. In reality there is not much taper on an individual hair.

Post edited by PhilW on
  • VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,499

The highlight and shininess are at 0. I tried Phil's suggestion, but it's stll not dark hair.

Here's a screenie with a spot render of half the hair-

Capture4.PNG
    1920 x 1080 - 377K
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988
    edited May 2018

Here's my 'Supweme Leader's' hair settings if that helps any....

supwemeleader hair.png
    763 x 572 - 215K
    Post edited by Stezza on

You can examine my settings if yrou have the time

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1N8I3B6KJtf1zCfhIxP6jFu7mu9h-Lzif

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988

might be easier to post your images here... I get nothing on that link surprise

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Hi LOH

it looks like you're using a hair cap,. (which needs to fit a bit better) but it also looks the the hair is really short (0.03ft) so, unless you're doing a close up,. you could probably use a texture map with less overhead,. since,. at that length the hair isn't going to be very dynamic.

No hair shows up in your file,. because it's growth is on a haircap which isn't included.

the hair settings are there,. and the shader,.

You need to set the "tip colour" as well as the root colour,. it's currently a dark red/brown

set that to black and you should be good to go

haircolour.jpg
    670 x 470 - 81K

No, no hair cap. i grew it right on his head.

renders different in model room

Capture.PNG
    1920 x 1080 - 588K
    Capture2.PNG
    1920 x 1040 - 236K
    Capture3.PNG
    1920 x 1080 - 904K
  • DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235

LightofHeaven, I don't have extensive experience with hair, but the one time I delved in I had similar issues. I restricted all my bounce lights to NOT light the hair because it was being blown out. I noticed in one of your screen grabs you have 4 Spot Lights, maybe try resticting all but the Keylight to light the hair?

Also if you are using gamma correction, hair does not automatically adjust like most surfaces do, so you need to set colors correspondingly darker - almost totally black. Oh and turn off Ambient lighting as well, that won't help.

What is gamma correction exactly?

Well, i got it dark. Second guy, obviously

What is gamma correction exactly?

HaHa! I did a complete training course to answer all the ins and outs of this question (Realism Rendering in Carrara). But the essentials are contained in this thread:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/25644/make-your-most-realistic-renders-ever/p1

It's like having a new renderer in Carrara but with everything still working as it used to!

Phil, o hat thread you wrote:

"he other great thing is – this is still the Carrara renderer that you know and love. You can still use all the same tricks that you have developed over the years – although you may find that you just don’t need to as much. Everything in Carrara is still supported, such as replicators and dynamic hair – although you will find that dynamic hair renders too light so you will need to add a multiplier into the shader to darken them."

i'm dumb.How do you "add" a multiplier to a hair shader? i don't see any add buttons.

You use the Operators/Multiply function. 

That moment when you finish a hair you like and realize you should've done it on a hair cap...

is it against TOS to share if i chop off a lot of G2M's head to make a cap for he hair that's already on it?

That moment when you finish a hair you like and realize you should've done it on a hair cap...

is it against TOS to share if i chop off a lot of G2M's head to make a cap for he hair that's already on it?

sadly yes but you can share the hair only and specify which figure its for and if you used subdiv or not so it can be loaded on it

only thing is, i used two hairs to make it...parenting one to the other to drag into the browser messes it up.