Selina's Tumbleweeds

I finally did some testing of Selina's tumbleweed 2, in Carrara. The tumbleweed 2 model slows down my computer a lot and when I turned the "recursion" down from 4 to 2, in the Plant Lab, the slowness was less. Maybe there are parameters that can be reduced to lessen calculation usage. Rendering using HDRI started taking a long time when it reached the tumbleweeds.

With minor changes to tumbleweed 2, like reducing recursions, I finished rendering a test image to display some minor tumbleweed alterations. Anyway, Selina's model is still the best one out there, but there must be a way to reduce it's massive calculation usage, or maybe I need a new faster computer. But, no money for that at the moment.

Carrara HDRI weed changed 2 3.jpg
800 x 600 - 166K

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

smoothing can go down to 2 as well

I do that for Howies trees

• Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on
    Selina said:

Wendy am I right in thinking that these are octane renders?

yes indeed

and sadly I had to pare down all your tumbleweed's pararmeters considerably as it was a very complex little dead shrub too big for particle animations in any engine. It isa great basis for a tumbleweed invasion though.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050

So, where can you get them? They look great!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988
    edited July 2018
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050

Thanks Srezza, and thank you also Selina! It looks great!

my pared down one, I turned down lots of parameters while still trying to keep it as true as I could to the oringinal

zip
    zip
    tumbleweed.zip
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

looks like a dr who episode in the making smiley

if yoo blink, they moved closer devil

the video is done

the shots with the bloke were DAZstudio the rest Carrara

I did however drape the clothing on the skelly in Maya trial as Dforce crashed my driver, Carrara crashed and Poser stuck on frame 3, Blender worked but did not look terribly good, Maya did it in a minute I figured it out fast and I still haven't RTFM. Guess thats why Autodesk can ask those prices.

• Retro LadRetro Lad Posts: 471

th3Digit.

Watching your video gave me some ideas for a story behind why the tumbleweeds are "actin crazy."

Now is my big chance, before I do the "great croak", to make my owm mini-animated suspense movie. No Maya for me, but just the low budget Roger Corman/ Castle style CG studio equipment and software. Throw in CG models of John Agar, and Beverly Garland, and the skys the limit.

Maya only has 25 days left crying

I only used it for the drape on the skeleton

th3Digit,

"Maya only has 25 days left crying"??????

I finally decided that even though Blender's Interface and Controls were designed in the Bizarro World of the old Superman comics. I will learn how to use it well anyway. I finally found some Blender instruction videos that I like and that make things very clear.

Gimp, like Blender, is also free and well made, so for me it's "the bird" to expensive CG software.

th3Digit,

"Maya only has 25 days left crying"??????

I finally decided that even though Blender's Interface and Controls were designed in the Bizarro World of the old Superman comics. I will learn how to use it well anyway. I finally found some Blender instruction videos that I like and that make things very clear.

Gimp, like Blender, is also free and well made, so for me it's "the bird" to expensive CG software.

I have a 30 day trial version

You don't think I actually can afford Autodesk software???????? devil

edited July 2018

th3Digit,

You don't think I actually can afford Autodesk software????????

There must be a few Forum posters here who are "high rollers" and have so much money they don't know what to do with it. Then again, maybe every one here is in debt up their ears.

Are you able to save any finshed scenes or models during your 30 day Maya trial, or do they zonk that option? Now if you could just get hold of a Time Machine, or a Tardis, you could stretch those 30 days.enlightened

Post edited by Retro Lad on

th3Digit,

You don't think I actually can afford Autodesk software????????

There must be a few Forum posters here who are "high rollers" and have so much money they don't know what to do with it. Then again, maybe every one here is in debt up their ears.

Are you able to save any finshed scenes or models during your 30 day Maya trial, or do they zonk that option? Now if you could just get hold of a Time Machine, or a Tardis, you could stretch those 30 days.enlightened

yeah can export rigged stuff as FBX like that coyote I used which was a Unity mb scene 

One question ..... why did the Coyote look like it was floating above the planked walkway. Sounds like a Zen koan.

edited July 2018

One question ..... why did the Coyote look like it was floating above the planked walkway. Sounds like a Zen koan.

because it was,

Stonemason sets are notoriously uneven so something lined up at the start and end of a timeline can sink and hover multiple times unless you meticulously go through it frame by frame and this was rather a heavy laggy scene, I tried nudging him a fair bit prior to rendering for 12 hours while AFK and the little blighter still ended up mid air.

By then I had had enough and could not be bothered, its a silly youtube animation not an academy award nomination or even a competition entry.

I honestly don't take my work terribly seriously and when on a rare occasion  I do, I still get stuff ups, one reason I don't enter competitions, I am just not that committed.

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

th3Digit

I honestly don't take my work terribly seriously and when on a rare occasion  I do, I still get stuff ups, one reason I don't enter competitions, I am just not that committed.

I seem to have been that way too for a long time now, just "fartin about" as I would call it and not completing any new imagery, but just experimenting with this and that. A sort of cynicism too in a way.

th3Digit

I seem to have been that way too for a long time now, just "fartin about" as I would call it and not completing any new imagery, but just experimenting with this and that. A sort of cynicism too in a way.

farting about sums it up yes

I enjoy the journey more than the result

edited July 2018

th3Digit,

If you are still interested in the creepy Tumbleweed invasion I have a suggestion. This time animate the tumbleweeds so that they move rather slowly and creep about, and maybe float mysteriously, instead of whooshing about like race cars. The "whooshing" is good, but only when they hurl themselves at someone for an octopus style scratchin death.

Been busy with household bachelor crap, repairs, and finding ways to keep cool in 106 degree weather. I hope I can concentrate now on finishing some CG ideas before he next load of crap arrives.

Post edited by Retro Lad on

this just came up in my YouTube feed

and I noticed Facebook has broken my image links as eventually it does

• de3ande3an Posts: 915

this just came up in my YouTube feed

That's actually a pretty interesting video (and well produced). Turns out that I knew almost nothing about tumbleweeds. Or the fact that they likely originated in Russia and are not native to North America.

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited March 2020

Has anyone heard from Selina?  I know she was going 'off-forum' to pursue some serious work. Just wondered how she's doing.   laugh  Silene

Post edited by SileneUK on
    SileneUK said:

Has anyone heard from Selina?  I know she was going 'off-forum' to pursue some serious work. Just wondered how she's doing.   laugh  Silene

She is FENgari

SileneUK said:

She is FENgari

Doh?   Must live in the Fens then laugh  Silene

• Living in the Fens calling myself Gari ... that's hillarious!!!

No Selina is derived from the Greek meaning moon - see my logo and Fengari is the ancient word for moon. So, I'm just mooning about - LOL

edited March 2020
    FENgari said:

Living in the Fens calling myself Gari ... that's hillarious!!!

No Selina is derived from the Greek meaning moon - see my logo and Fengari is the ancient word for moon. So, I'm just mooning about - LOL

I am just glad you are still here!  My full screen name would have been SileneElectra which means Pink Catchfly. But I shortened it to put in the UK here.  It was a garden forum name. It was either that or HazelCorkscrew. cheeky

I have had eye troubles and a rebuild of my machine as well. So hopefully I will be reloaded and my eyes re-glazed so I can work in Carrara again (and keep up what is happening with the Carrarians!)

yesheart  Silene

Post edited by SileneUK on
  • LOL - nice to meet you Silene (armeria) ‘Electra’ (Sweet William catchfly) and thanks for the warmth. We carrarianistas are few, but loyal supporter of a great program that can still knock spots off other 'maintained' programmes.

SileneUK said:

I am just glad you are still here!  My full screen name would have been SileneElectra which means Pink Catchfly. But I shortened it to put in the UK here.  It was a garden forum name. It was either that or HazelCorkscrew. cheeky

I have had eye troubles and a rebuild of my machine as well. So hopefully I will be reloaded and my eyes re-glazed so I can work in Carrara again (and keep up what is happening with the Carrarians!)

yesheart  Silene