Mapping Refraction in the Surfaces-tab

Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I once thought it would be cool to create maps for the refraction-tab in the Surfaces, and 'bend' the light passing through a simple flat surface (say a plane). But there is unfortunately no option for this, so you're 'stuck' with geometry-based bending of lights. What I'm thinking of is simply using a grey-scale picture (png) and use this as a reference of the refraction-value. Sort of a cheap way to create lens-artifacts.

Just a thought.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,343
    edited December 1969

I'm pretty sure I've done this with Shader Mixer.

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,697
    edited December 1969

Not only should it be quite simple with ShaderMixer, I can think of at least one reason why even Refraction Index should be mappable: lenses of eyes. You'd see everything in a "fish-eye" view if the refraction at the edges didn't compensate for that of the thicker center. So yes, refraction and refraction index should be mappable.

• ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited December 1969

Yes, you could plop a map directly into the Index of Refraction (IOR) channel but since map colours don't go higher than one, you' end up wit a refraction that is lower than one. I've done the shader mixer network below that just adds one so that the IOR is between 1 and 2.
    there may be a bug I'm not sure the vanilla Genesis should show as well (the plane is fairly close to Genesis, BTW)

Rubberducklens.png
    600 x 600 - 86K
    Image1.png
    962 x 739 - 77K
  • Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

You know, this is an interesting technique! You can really do some crazy stuff. If you use a base-number =,1 and as mentioned, add a map on top, and maybe use a multiplier-function of the map to control refraction/reflection. Then you might possibly get a very large refraction.

This is starting to sound quite interesting.

• Oom FooyatOom Fooyat Posts: 0
    edited June 2012

I think refraction works more like a projection on the surface rather then a true bending of light. That is why you see the objects behind if the surface is transparent. You have to use caustics to get true bending of light and that is not one of the 3Dlight-engins stronger sides. It doesn't help that DS4.0 has messed up the presets either, I don't know if it has been fixed in 4.5.

Cheers! Oom

Post edited by Oom Fooyat on