Applying Shaders

I'm embarrassed to ask this. Normally I'd just hop over to Google or Youtube, but my net is so slow tonight I can't load any videos.

Anyway. I bought a set of magic effects. It came with props, materials, and shaders. Props and materials I know how to use -- load the prop in the scene, then double-click on the desired material for the look. That all works fine. I'm running Studio 4.10.

But this came with shaders, which I've never used before. I load my prop, apply a material. I assumed that I applied shaders the same way -- i.e., double click on the shader I want while the prop is selected. I do that, it appears to load. I get no errors.

But when I render, nothing changes even after I've changed the shader. Or if it does, it's too subtle for me to see (I'm a bit color-blind). 

So -- am I applying the shader correctly, or is there another method I should be using?

Thanks so much!

Comments

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,951

you need to also go into the surface tab and click on the prop there too then apply the shader

• franktuttlefranktuttle Posts: 67

Thanks, Carrie58! That helped.

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,951

my pleasure

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,809

The Surface Selection Tool will select both object and surface in one click.

• AkuraAkura Posts: 41

thank you thank you : O i been trying so hard to get my shaders to work ^^ 

• CenobiteCenobite Posts: 206

I usually just go to smart tab select the shader then merge too the suface panel you have selected, in most cases this works but there are a few bad packs that what the OP is saying makes sense they just don't work if applied.. Some texture shaders or mats are for specific mesh models & can't be used elsewhere.