[Beginner] Position of an object defined from different points of the box?

Hello,
As a default Hexagon measures the position of an object (expressed as XYZ coordinates) from the center point of the objects box.

​I was wondering is it possible to change this, so that Hexagon would defines the location for example from one of the corners of the box etc. This would make the exact positioning of objects much easier. I would expect there is this kind of feature, but I haven't found one.

​Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on
  • Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,206

Wow, mystery solved.  Except I was not able to locate that choice (pivot control) on my screen. I only see it the way it looks in this video outtake (eg. the red arrows) if I right-click on my object: then I see a new box with the pivot controls at the top.

Ditto the stuff I marked with green arrows... I don't see that anywhere either and I have no idea what it is.

Could be that Hexagon has changed when I wasn't looking... for instance there is now an "Open Models" choice in the main pull-down menu. I don't remember ever seeing that before. Must be getting old!

pivot-controls.jpg
    575 x 578 - 77K
  • AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838
    edited May 2018

Unless your last version has been Hex1, nothing has changed. Those thing have been in the scene properties and in the menu all through Hex2's life

Post edited by Ascania on
  • ShawnDriscollShawnDriscoll Posts: 375

Hex 2.x uses a different GUI. Stuff has moved around since 1.21.

• kavaaltonkavaalton Posts: 0

Thanks, but unfortunately changing the pivot point won't help. The position of the object is still measured from it's center point (the green dot in the middle of the object) not from the pivot point.

What exactly are you trying to do?

Put a helper object down with a vertex where you want your object to be, set the pivot on your object, snap it to the helper vertex, done!

Simple as can be.

• ShawnDriscollShawnDriscoll Posts: 375
    edited May 2018

I just do quick math for positioning. Divide object's height (or width) by half. Add (or subtract) number to object's position. Etc.

Post edited by ShawnDriscoll on
  • Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,206

Stuff has moved around since 1.21.

*I think* I had 2.x before but anyway... besides the pivot function MAYBE moving around since the video say -- and this has given me the willys for a couple of years! -- the documentation on the pivot has not changed.

Here's a screen shot of the docs to late May 2018 - a couple of Google translation errors are indicated with a red arrow etc.

One thing that changed in my Hexagon for sure is the "new, more colorful Daz logo" was inserted into it. But all I did was download the supposedly "updated content"; DIM never mentioned the executable file being new.

I like real progress as much as the next person, but I don't like unheralded changes. For example Microsoft Outlook/Hotmail - it's all changed around now. Arrrgh.

translation-errors.jpg
    987 x 603 - 175K

The videos in the help were done in Hex1.

• Hexagon is a great Software Program! I really have to get into is. Hexagon models can be transfered right over to DAZ and ZBrush and other 3D Softapplications. This is great.