Baby

ArielRGHArielRGH Posts: 105
edited May 2018 in Product Suggestions

In recent times I have found myself in need of a baby model, and it turns out that the latest baby in the DAZ store is Adam Thwaites' Baby, for Genesis. It's getting old already.

Can somebody make a newer one? 

There is a baby for G8F at Rendo but I didn't like it.

Post edited by ArielRGH on

Comments

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,602

Children and babies aren’t big sellers with Daz core buyers I’m afraid. So far the rendo baby is the best I’ve seen.

• ArielRGHArielRGH Posts: 105

No. It would be a specialty product, not one for the masses.

Guess if it comes down to that, I'll have to buy that Genesis one, apply some Anagenessis 2 and hope for the best.

• frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052

Angel_Wings is currently working on an extremely cute baby morph (and texture) for the Sixus baby, if your need is not urgent.

https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/577051/

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

Well the Baby for Genesis is still good for infant aged.  The other newer attempts look more like 2 - 5 year olds so which you buy depends on the age you need.

The Baby for Genesis can be have the skintone changed easy enough by adding a diffuse color or transparency color to the Surfaces. Also something I forgot to do is when you convert the textures to G8 iRay defaults don't forget to add the diffuse textures to the transparency color texture channel.

This is Baby for Genesis 8 with textures converted to iRay G8F (I just ctl-click on the G8F deault iRay skin textures & say 'ignore 'images' so it keeps the Baby for Genesis textures but the shader setting will convert to iRay. First you need to apply 'UberiRay' conversion to the Baby for Genesis. 

• IsaacNewtonIsaacNewton Posts: 1,300

Children and babies aren’t big sellers with Daz core buyers I’m afraid. So far the rendo baby is the best I’ve seen.

I think this is an example of a self fulfilling prophesy. DAZ baby and children have never... excelled in quality. Look at K4 for example; there were a couple of nice faces by Thorne for example but the basic rigging made the figure look more like a dwarf than a child (IMO). I would imagine that this is the reason K4 was not as popular as might have been. Subsequently DAZ have done very little in the way of providing young characters for the Genesis family. Zev0 has made morph sets to create child figures from the Genesis family, but this has not been very widely adopted by DAZ or its PAs. So it is therefore not surprising the "DAZ core buyers" don't buy Children and Baby characters from the DAZ shop. Presumably they go to Renderosity.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,961

It is VERY hard to make a good baby. Most attempts have been nightmare inducing.

Combine that with not being a huge market...

• ArielRGHArielRGH Posts: 105

Thanks everyone. I guess I'll go for the Genesis baby.

I think this is an example of a self fulfilling prophesy. DAZ baby and children have never... excelled in quality. Look at K4 for example; there were a couple of nice faces by Thorne for example but the basic rigging made the figure look more like a dwarf than a child (IMO). I would imagine that this is the reason K4 was not as popular as might have been. Subsequently DAZ have done very little in the way of providing young characters for the Genesis family. Zev0 has made morph sets to create child figures from the Genesis family, but this has not been very widely adopted by DAZ or its PAs. So it is therefore not surprising the "DAZ core buyers" don't buy Children and Baby characters from the DAZ shop. Presumably they go to Renderosity.

Daz core buyers prefers to  buy pretty young white women. The market for anything else is very limited... and Daz core drives the bus here. babies and children are probably worse in popularity than male figures are. 

It is unfortunate because infants are cute and would be fun... but we haven’t had one in years sold here.... 

I actually think Rosie at rendo is cute, there is also the hivewire baby who looks a bit better than Genesis baby.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,175

It is unfortunate, but yes, this is the way it is around here.  I have some baby stuff at my site, not the baby herself, though.  It seems very difficult to get baby things produced...but look at the swords!  There seems to be a new set of swords at least once a month.  Fantasy swords, mostly.  And plenty of "armor" outfits.  (ie: bikinis)

Dana

edited May 2018

I have to laugh at it being said there are no quality babies. The Baby for Genesis is good quality although it would be nice if I had the skill to make a higher resolution Genesis 8 texture set for it. Those other products are toddlers in my eyes.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on

I actually think genesis baby looks a bit alien. It is better than most but looks odd to me.

I actually think genesis baby looks a bit alien. It is better than most but looks odd to me.

Really? I guess all newborns look alien a bit, huge head & big eyes that are usually closed contributes to that effect. Even more so are those echo sonargram pictures they make before they are born and they are even grey in those.

• I actually think genesis baby looks a bit alien. It is better than most but looks odd to me.

Really? I guess all newborns look alien a bit, huge head & big eyes that are usually closed contributes to that effect. Even more so are those echo sonargram pictures they make before they are born and they are even grey in those.

Just for the heck of it, someone should make an alien-grey baby morph.  Thin body, big, inverted-teardrop head, almond-shaped eyes. :D

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,961

I was annoyed putting Genesis baby into one of the preset poses (on belly holding up head) and the arms looked all deformed. Sheesh. The head, at least, looks relatively decent.

edited May 2018

The alien quality is the unnatural way it looks and moves and poses. Plus it’s not fatty enough so it looks wrong in some way that is probably cognitive dissonance.   Babies are really hard to do. Even the great masters failed at making decent ones... so it is no surprise really 

I love the idea of an alien baby though. Wow that’s a great idea.

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • IsaacNewtonIsaacNewton Posts: 1,300

Part of the problem with babies and children for the Genesis family is the relatively low support in terms of clothing. Whilst we acknowledge that most clothing is for adult females (I wonder why they would be so interesting....devil ), there is very little dedicated clothing suitable and relevent for child characters (let alone babies). Whilst clothing designed for adult characters can be modified for child figures, it generally requires quite a bit of effort and not everyone has the required skills, software and time. Autofit (bless it's cotton socks) does it's best but the results are frequently pretty poor.

So, if there is little clothing (and props) suitable for child figures, why would you buy a child figure? If not many people buy child characters, why would PAs make clothes for them? It's a cyclical problem.

I think it’s just here. Thebaby at hivewire...Luna seems to have a great wardrobe. I’ve been considering buying her since the outfits are really cute. 

Oso3D said:

I was annoyed putting Genesis baby into one of the preset poses (on belly holding up head) and the arms looked all deformed. Sheesh. The head, at least, looks relatively decent.

You're used to Genesis 8 now but all Genesis extreme morphs and even many close to the shape of the base Genesis figure as well as poses look deformed and always have. I found trying to morph or pose the Genesis Mouse much beyond a very unnaturally tight range of motion was awful.

It makes me want to try and transfer those products to Genesis 8 via Genesis 2 & Genesis 3...  

edited May 2018

The alien quality is the unnatural way it looks and moves and poses. Plus it’s not fatty enough so it looks wrong in some way that is probably cognitive dissonance.   Babies are really hard to do. Even the great masters failed at making decent ones... so it is no surprise really 

I love the idea of an alien baby though. Wow that’s a great idea.

Baby for Genesis looks very fatty to me but maybe the babies I've seen are skinny unnatural looking babies. The deformed morph & pose problem is present in all Genesis product. It's why I don't use Genesis product unless I have too. It's one reason why they split to male and female again with Genesis 2. I don't know but the Baby for Genesis solution being remade for Genesis 8 isn't as good as making DAZ Studio SW and dForce work better; without that, making a new Baby for Genesis 8 is mostly a wasted effort.

Genesis 8 doesn't handle posing fat that well because it doesn't do it at all, and Genesis 8 would need some sort of fat dForce weightmaps and ragdoll physics to pose fat characters naturally. Like George for example. He's great in a few poses but pose him in any pose where one expects to see fat roll and you'll quickly notice George isn't that realistic for posing. Or even thin characters - when I was very young and we'd stand on our head & do other acrobatics I noticed how the skin sagged toward the ground, not like a bassethound but the same principle. Unflexed muscles sag toward a gravity field. Hair. Clothing. dForce is already trying to remedy hair & clothing though which disguises dForce not working on fat and muscle since most poses have clothing on.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on