List of Shader Mixer Tutorials and Recipes WIP please be patient as I update the list...thanks!

12346»

Comments

• Leo LeeLeo Lee Posts: 184

Wow! Thanks Pen for these tutorials. Nodes are so much confusing to me. :P

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591

No problem Leo Lee...I wish I had time to do more with it.

Just added HPhoenix's rotate recipe for ShaderMixer.

• TryhardTryhard Posts: 166

The toon links are dead.

Thanks for letting me know...I'll remove them.

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,687
    edited October 2017

Which toon links?

These recipes weren't my own:  they were posted several years and a couple of forum versions ago in a thread like this one.  I saved them for future reference, and here they are for yours.

From my own practice, the Transform brick in the "Screen Dots" recipe needs to be changed from "screen" to "raster".  Otherwise you get a very distracting "watered-silk" streakiness all over your render.

Simple Toon Shader.jpg
    1212 x 795 - 219K
    Screen-dots.jpg
    2438 x 634 - 297K
    Toon Camera.png
    1147 x 684 - 93K
    Post edited by Eustace Scrubb on

Thanks Eustace...I'm not sure who put the tuts in the original link up but those will be very useful.

• mephoriamephoria Posts: 120

I've started a set of small tutorials that try to both explain the fundamentals of Iray shaders and give detailed instructions on how to do some tricky things. You can find it here.

Thus far I've covered texture "warping", combining bump maps and making sure shaders don't go psychedelic in OpenGL previews, along with explanations of basic Iray building blocks, coordinate transforms for tiling, and the what and why of bump maps. Other already-planned entries will include procedural noise-based displacement, using world & object coordinate systems, combining procedural noises for maximum effect, and perhaps procedural volumetric clouds or "build your own Iray Uber". 

edited April 2018

That looks really good mephoria...I'll try and add it to the first post. edited to add...now in first post right at the top...I'm off to have a proper read of them now.

Post edited by Pendraia on
  • ViallyVially Posts: 343

So how does one go about pulling a shader apart to use as reference?

Have a couple shaders that work with 3Delight, but not at all in iRay, I just want to see what they do so I can perhaps rebuild it for iRay...

Maybe import the shaders into shadermixer and then use it as a reference to set up the mdl blocks for Iray? Not sure without knowing what the shaders are and what they do.

edited April 2019

If-- and only if-- you can access the shader tree in ShaderMixer, will you be able to reverse engineer it like that and re-build it in Iray.  But the Iray and 3Delight renderers are so very different and their bricks-- and the brick requirements-- are so different, that it may be next to impossible.  I know:  I have a shader set at 'Rosity (search for "QSabot" as the vendor name, and look for my avatar pic) that I built to work in both systems, and it does.  But it's like trying to say a sentence in German and Persian at the same time.

Post edited by Eustace Scrubb on
  • Always good to see others dig into the ShaderMixer code and see what they come up with:

Double-sided Iray materials:
    https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/3956126

• Andrey PestryakovAndrey Pestryakov Posts: 172
    edited January 2020

Is it possible to use DS Shader Mixer to realtime generate a mask (Projection Type: Solid) for texture map so that all surfaces from the top are painted white and bottom are black?

modo-sample.png
    2559 x 1398 - 700K
    Post edited by Andrey Pestryakov on
  • Is it possible to use DS Shader Mixer to realtime generate a mask (Projection Type: Solid) for texture map so that all surfaces from the top are painted white and bottom are black?

Should be possible:  most of my work (and this thread) is in 3DL materials:  you'd use a Transform brick to set the gradient to either World Coordinates or Object Coordinates.

For those interested in Iray MDL shaders, especially if you've got some familiarity with Blender's shader system, see this thread in the Blender forum.

• Several years ago I posted a 3DL brick tree that was supposed to distill the input color to its underlying hue.  Not to put too fine a point on it, it didn't really work.  Here, instead, is a working algorithm that gets a much nearer result.

(Brick sequence is from Right to Left.)