Carrara won't launch at all

UkyuuUkyuu Posts: 182
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hello everyone !

So well... I tried to install Carrara 8 on my computer, the install went on, but oddly, the program self-kill itself immediately after being launched.

I'm on W8, UAC deactivated, 64 bits.

If anyone has ideas about it I'd be glad to know !

Comments

• UkyuuUkyuu Posts: 182
    edited December 1969

I've been doing a few tests, so I'm adding some information:

I tried the different mode of compatibility, and I've tried to add it in windows defender too

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Man, I really wish I could help. It would drive me up the wall and back if I couldn't get Carrara up and running...
    Have you filed a support ticket?
    I wonder if, by deactivating UAC, something unfriendly was able to fire, somewhere along the way? That UAC really can be annoying at times - but it's just a single, annoying click compared to some yuck launching without your express permission.
    Okay... I'll stop pretending you're my nephew... and I'm Uncle Killjoy...

edited December 1969

Fact is, no, I didn't filled a support ticket, I probably should.

And no my PC don't have anything unfriendly, I've checked that already. Some of my software for my work are allergic to the UAC and I have to deactivate it, so that's why. And since I couldn't find specific information about Windows 7. Worst off, I've got the same problem on my test computer running with Windows 8 means I'll be probably against the wall again when I'll have to switch for Windows 8.

Ever since I had Carrara it has never worked on ANY PC I've tried it on. But with DAZ Studio there's no physics and I wanted to do something a bit more elaborated, I remembered I had brought Carrara and hopped that at least, it would install through the DIM thing, but no, it doesn't even show up in the things that can be installed.

So I'm a bit annoyed about this product that I couldn't get running ever since I brought it.

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

You have a unique issue. I've never had issues with carrara on any comp. If you have tried it on several and it doesn't work I have to wonder if your downloads are corrupt or being corrupted.
    It may sound bad but there is no reason carrara shouldn't work for you. It works fine for other people using it with W8.

Personally I think DIM is the right name for it. But I doubt seriously the issue is carrara.

• EddyMI3DEddyMI3D Posts: 365
    edited December 1969

So the installer worked through the processes without error message?
    The C++ Runtimes are properly installed?
    Maybe the the downloaded file is corrupted. Try again with a new download.

edited December 1969

I've been doing so 3 times, It's annoying to hell :/

And there was no errors at all :/

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited July 2013

Hi Ukyuu

I'm running windows 7 pro 64bit,. and have no issues installing and running carrara.

There's no specific thread about carrara and Win 7, because installing to win 7 should be as simple and straight forward as installing to XP or any other version of windows.

As long as you are an administrator,. then you have the right to install and register any software on your system.

Check your account setting to make sure you have administrator rights. (these Admin rights have little to do with UAC)

from what I've read,. it sounds like you've tried more than one version of carrara,. and on different PC's ? although I may be mis-reading that.

I've also never heard of a situation where carrara will not load, once it's been installed, without giving any error messages.

you could run process monitor to see what's happening,. but we'd really need some details about your system to help more.

Which OS versions have you tried to install carrara to ?
    Which carrara versions have you tried to install ?

what's the system spec,. Ram , Graphics card , Processor etc...

I’m on W8, UAC deactivated, 64 bits.

Have you tried right clicking the application, and choosing,.. Run as,... Win 7 compatibility mode ?

Post edited by 3DAGE on
  • SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    edited July 2013

No .NET Framework error? I don't have Windows 8 but my stepson has it on his Acer laptop and I had to roll back to .NET Framework 3.5 from 4.5 to get one of his programmes to run that I moved from his hold PC. But I think you get an error about that...you aren't getting any error message at all?

Stupid idea, but what the heck.... do you have access to the download for the 32-bit version? What about seeing if that will load to the x86 program files folder?

ETA: OK I see you don't have Pro or Beta, so you must have 32-bit version and the native content file as well.
    I just saw this old post: Don't know if that's an issue or 3DAGE would have said I think.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/10746/

Sorry for your trouble...I know how frustrating it can be. I am on W7 and have had lots of problems with Photoshop CS6 64-bit which I am trying to run beside my Adobe CS3 suite which I have had for years. Nothing but aggro !

:( SileneUK

Post edited by SileneUK on
    edited December 1969

Well, I tried on a Windows 8, on a Windows 7 (I installed the OS each time) so it was fresh new installs each time, I had installed properly the appropriate graphic drivers and .net frameworks from 3.5 to 4.5.

4 GO ram
    ATI Radeon 4800
    64 bit OS (W7 and W8)

I tried the install of the 8.5 of carrara alone, and when it didn't worked, reinstalled the OS and tried by putting the 8.1 and then the 8.5. But no, it just don't want to launch. My antivirus is Windows Security Essentials, so I'm pondering if anyone tried to install Carrara with this AV or not ?