Content Lists Vanishes in Car 8.5 Any Clues?

Hya,

Fired up Car 8.5 today and it gives me a do I want to search for content directories window.

I say 'no' and find all my content directories have vanished in Carrara (they are still on my hard drive)

I found an old preferences text in my Carrara 8.1 folder and copied it over the Carrara 8.5 one and have most directories back in Content again.

What gives?

cheers :)

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

mine disappear if my drives get disconnected 

maybe you have a dodgy cable if its an external 

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

I've no idea how that would happen,. , the preferences file is normally the one you need to dig out, even after re install

Wendy's idea sounds logical

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

Thanks Wendy et Andy . Ah half my content is on a n external drive but half is on internals. The half on internals comes up even when external drive is in plugged. The preference s file looks like it was deleted  as carrara asked me on booting could it look for run times ... as if it were a new install. All seems to be good as the preferences txt I'd backed up seems to have most of the runtimes in it. There is also a comp file I hadn't noticed before. Something like "comp' file ... I'm sitting in a nursing home so can't check (visiting) 

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,988
    edited May 2018

CompPrefs.txt

I backup this one as well as Preferences.txt 

It keeps info on the extras you add in the other tabs so you don't have to go hunting for them again... that's if you keep the same HD & folder structures..

I just backup the whole folder really lol

backupfiles.jpg
    594 x 165 - 24K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

thanks Stezza :) will do!