Creating a circle on a cube and extruding it.

Td3dTd3d Posts: 412
edited May 2018 in Hexagon Discussion

Spotted a question asking someone for a how to.

Thought this would add to the other good advise posted on how. Have put a quick Tut together on making one of the shapes questioned.

The images show the start and finished shape. The .pdf is the process I use when making stuff along these lines. There's no right or wrong. Long as it gets you there right?

Hope it helps someone out.

01.jpg
1920 x 1041 - 564K
20.jpg
1920 x 1041 - 546K
pdf
pdf
Create Circle in Cube and extrude indent.pdf
2M
Post edited by Td3d on

Comments

• ShawnDriscollShawnDriscoll Posts: 375

Generally, if it passes the smooth test, it passes.

• Td3dTd3d Posts: 412
    seegsons said:
    Td3d said:
    what you do here is pretty messy, you know that... no offence, ...

...no offence taken at all. Like, I don't even know the names of these processes. So that was an interesting bit of info you shared.

I guess I just forgot to make a points that the form used, was one made in Hexagon by an experienced user and a new user was curious as to how it could be achieved in Hexagon. Likewise, I could use other programs I have, But sliding this object into that and pushing a preset kind of doesn't really give a complete understanding of what I might have done, ...in Hexagon. It just does it and I got the form I was after.

What I liked about learning Hexagon, was knowing how to connect the dots, so when things didn't quite go to plan, I had some pretty good clues as to where it may have went sidways in the design. I guess, like myself, some just preffer the process over the outcome.

...btw, ShawnDriscoll I often count on that being the case :) ...I go sideways heaps.

Like a lot of modellers, Have used this and very similar methods to build most of these parts being made for a new project. The base engine is from the Wild Fantacy set. The new project requires a bit more horsepower. All done in trust Hexagon. The beauty of Hexagon is the bridge to Studio, each part can be tested/tweaked every step of the way. ...minimises the "sideways" action.

wfhr_engine_newparts_for_slr.jpg
    1300 x 706 - 375K
  • the bridge... yeah, that's true

wish DAZ Studio was better though

• One day, I may give DAZ Studio a try. I'm so used to Poser though.

• Here's a question. I am a real Hexagon beginner, so I apologize if my first question seems obvious to more skilled people.

For Step 2, should the radius of the circle I create be less than the length/width of the top face of the cube? 

Thanks!

Here's a question. I am a real Hexagon beginner, so I apologize if my first question seems obvious to more skilled people.

For Step 2, should the radius of the circle I create be less than the length/width of the top face of the cube? 

Thanks!

Not at all. You can simply scale that to any size afterwards. The required sides and the matching axis plane are the only real important part of that process.

Good luck with it.

• Td3d said:

Here's a question. I am a real Hexagon beginner, so I apologize if my first question seems obvious to more skilled people.

Thanks!

Not at all. You can simply scale that to any size afterwards. The required sides and the matching axis plane are the only real important part of that process.

Good luck with it.

Ah, that would make things much easier. I was overthinking it. Less to worry about when setting up the circle!