Studio 4.5 lags with animation

Super NewbSuper Newb Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Art Studio

I've been away for awhile...

Came back to find that animation in Studio 3 is as fun (and time consuming) as ever.

In 4.5 though, everything takes too long. I can not scroll through the timeline and get any sort of feel whatsoever for the animation. The little status bar down in the bottom right is constantly updating and the program just responds slugishly in all aspects. I think I remember having this trouble along time ago, but thought I had found some sort of fix... But now I can't remember what it was. Months ago, when I was active with Studio, I bought (and started using) a bunch of Genesis content. I'd like to make use of it. I think My computer is right at the borderline as far as specs go - I haven't downloaded 4.6 because I don't even think it meets those specs.

Any clues? (besides a new machine which is not in the budget at the moment)

Comments

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

I've been away for awhile...

Came back to find that animation in Studio 3 is as fun (and time consuming) as ever.

In 4.5 though, everything takes too long. I can not scroll through the timeline and get any sort of feel whatsoever for the animation. The little status bar down in the bottom right is constantly updating and the program just responds slugishly in all aspects. I think I remember having this trouble along time ago, but thought I had found some sort of fix... But now I can't remember what it was. Months ago, when I was active with Studio, I bought (and started using) a bunch of Genesis content. I'd like to make use of it. I think My computer is right at the borderline as far as specs go - I haven't downloaded 4.6 because I don't even think it meets those specs.

are you 32bit or 64 ?

• Super NewbSuper Newb Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Computer is 64 bit. I have both versions of Studio installed. My Version # is actually 4.03.XX.

The thing is, I had it running pretty good before somehow (though never as responsive as DS3), and I can't remember what I did to make it so...

Messed with it again last night (the computer I am using is off line). Noticed my hard drive was 90% full, so I removed about 60 gig of data, but I haven't really had a chance to retry. I'm going to try to take off another 100 gig or so.

• DZ_jaredDZ_jared Posts: 1,316
    edited December 1969

I’ve been away for awhile…

In 4.5 though, everything takes too long. I can not scroll through the timeline and get any sort of feel whatsoever for the animation. The little status bar down in the bottom right is constantly updating and the program just responds slugishly in all aspects. I think I remember having this trouble along time ago, but thought I had found some sort of fix… But now I can’t remember what it was. Months ago, when I was active with Studio, I bought (and started using) a bunch of Genesis content. I’d like to make use of it. I think My computer is right at the borderline as far as specs go - I haven’t downloaded 4.6 because I don’t even think it meets those specs.

The status bar at the bottom indicates smoothing and collision detection calculations. DAZ Studio 3 didn't have either of these options. If you find that the stats bar takes too long to update when you switch frames, camera angles, or morph your figure then try turning down the smoothing and collision iterations or turning smoothing completely off. Most newer content has smoothing set to a value of 2, but some older content has smoothing levels set as high as 20. If you find you need the high levels of smoothing you can turn the interactive update off. This will allow you to scrub the timeline without smoothing, and then when you settle on a frame studio will run the smoothing calculations.

All of the options I've just described can be found in the parameters tab under General/Mesh Smoothing. You may need to turn down smoothing for each clothing item in the animation.

• Super NewbSuper Newb Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hey!

That sounds familiar, I think that was it!

Thank You Jared, I will try that tonight.