Is There a Way to Hide a Family?

Greetings Friends... I'm trying to figure out a way to hide a family of objects so I can render without the family objects in the image, specifically — I've modeled a commercial building and designated individual areas of the building (large rooms each with their own infrastructure and equipment) as their own family for ease of working on the design in solo mode. The modeled roof system of the facility is also its own family. I'd like to be able to make the roof (family) dissappear so I can capture images/screenshots of the interior of the facility. The roof blocks my view of the interior, blocks the ambient light (sun) and prevents me from capturing good, well-lit screenshots of the interior of the facility.

In the manual there is a menu option to "Hide Selection", though it appears to be linked to the plop-render function which is not what I'm trying to do. I'd like to think I can select the Roof "family", choose "Hide Selection" and have the roof dissappear to I can grab well-lit screenshots from different angles of the interior of the facility. Has anyone done this?

Of course the best thing to do would be simply try it but I have to travel to a co-working space to rent their "vintage" iMac which runs Snow Leopard and my copy of Bryce 7 Pro from my external hard drive. I'm trying to figure this out now though instead of wasting my time trying to figure it out while on the clock at the co-working space. 

One might think that I could just select all the families except the roof family and render them in solo mode, but in my experience, solo mode is great for working on objects but not good for rendering. Having accidently rendered while in solo mode, I lost the positive/negative aspects of many though not all groups so that doesn't work.

My only other alternative would be to duplicate ("Save as") the file then take the roof off to shoot the interior without affecting the original file. 

If anyone can confirm that "Hide Selection" will hide a selected family for full render mode, I'd surely appreciate it.

Thanks!

Comments

• SlepalexSlepalex Posts: 911

Too many words for a simple operation.
    1. Select an object, group, family in any way.
    2. You go into the attributes Ctrl + Alt + E or click on the icon "A".
    3. Check the "Hidden" checkbox.
    4. Enter.

• dongenarodongenaro Posts: 15

Slepalex — I've looked at the Object Attributes Dialog so many times and never noticed the obvious! Sorry for the lengthy explanation. Perplexed, I was just trying to be thorough. That said, you have clearly solved the problem and I thank you kindly.