avastar

WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I decided after a 4 year hiatus to drop into second life for a brief visit
and noticed how the default avatars had noticibly improved!
on the Reallusion forum users have successfully used a plugin for Blender called Avastar you can purchase from the second life marketplace to export rigged fbx versions of their avatars into iClone.
I was wondering if any Carrara second life users have bought and tried it?
collada may well work better in Carrara though I suspect.
Not quite ready to buy it yet but interested to see or hear about results.
(not even spoken to anybody on SL yet! too shy and look too noob!)

Comments

• MiloMilo Posts: 511
    edited December 1969

I haven't tried it either. It will be intersting to see if anyone has. I keep saying I am going to do something, build my own custom char vs whats purchased but never seem to get around to it. I don't go on much anymore myself

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Heh! I didn't even know it was still going!

• MiloMilo Posts: 511
    edited December 1969

I ment to also say the reason for the improvement is they now allow mesh imports into SL

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

on the Reallusion forum users have successfully used a plugin for Blender called Avastar you can purchase from the second life marketplace to export rigged fbx versions of their avatars into iClone.

I see you are in the new iClone newsletter - well done !!:-)

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    edited December 1969

huh?

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I gave up on SL quite a while back. Deleted everything and my character is just floating in the nether world right now.
    I had an excellent comp, I have good band width, even on the lowest graphics setting I couldn't get more then 12fps out of it. Walk in to some place that actually has a few other people in it and my fps you drop to 9 or less.

"export rigged fbx versions of their avatars into iClone."

Well if you want SL figures in iclone maybe you should try the mil1 figures first, they are better/higher polly figures ;)
    Really, I have worked with them and they are very low polly.

• Lobo3433Lobo3433 Posts: 30
    edited December 1969

I do own Avastar plugin for Blender it is useful if you are planning on creating mesh props and clothing for SL as long as they are not high in polygons. It is also a useful tool for creating animations specific for SL as well. Actually as a few days ago it is no longer in Beta and works really well. The http://blog.machinimatrix.org/ website has many well done tutorials in how to use it and there is a really great active community with in SL who are more than happy to help with it. For content creators for SL the cost of the $22 for the plug in is worth it especially now that mesh content can be used in SL. Also the collada exporter has been tuned so you can export specifically for only SL or other applications

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

If that is all you need it for there is a pair of poser ready figures available for download from the SL site. I don't have a link right now but I'll see what I can do. I have made a lot of stuff in SL, but it got to the point it lagged so badly I gave up on it.

• Gaia ClaryGaia Clary Posts: 0
    edited July 2013

Hi;

I am the documentation maker for Avastar and meanwhile i also do most of the Avastar maintenance and bug fixing. So i'd like to add some information to this thread.

Why Avastar is like it is

Ok, so ... Avastar has indeed been designed primary for the creation of characters, attachments and animations for Second Life and similar online worlds. When we started its creation 2 years ago, we (2 developers and myself) did not think much about supporting any other target game engine. That's why Avastar internally "only" uses an exact replica of the Second Life Avatar with all its quirks and errors. Support for other skeletons is (currently) not provided.

What about Avastar's future ?

But now Avastar-1.0 is finished and we are free to step ahead and see what can be done next. I personally would like to add more support for other game engines as well (where it makes sense) Adding support for export to Cloud party comes to my mind. Or better support for MakeHuman (i have already talked to them), etc.

What about support for DAZ tools?

When i look at DAZ specifically, then i believe that we should not improve Avastar but improve Blender's native (out of the box) Collada Support such that we can transfer characters between DAZ tools and Blender in a seamless way.

Actually i am currently also responsible for the maintenance of Blender's native Collada module. So i will look at any missing features or bugs as they appear in the Blender bug tracker. So, if you have something to tell... I will work on it. Although we currently focus on supporting Sketchup because we get most reports from that comunity, hint...hint... :)

cheers,
    Gaia

Post edited by Gaia Clary on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,323
    edited December 1969

Wow. That's awesome!

• Lobo3433Lobo3433 Posts: 30
    edited December 1969

Off topic but It is great to see you here Gaia

• I own avastar so far the only thing I have did is make a replica of my avatars shape.
    You would have thought I had invented creamed corn when I uploaded my mesh body to SL lol. 
    I havent had time to learn how to use it properly, but I am hoping I will get time to learn how to use it better very soon. 
    I would love to be able to use the DAZ 3d charactors, I am looking forward to the upgrades.

Dixy

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,219

I own avastar so far the only thing I have did is make a replica of my avatars shape.
    You would have thought I had invented creamed corn when I uploaded my mesh body to SL lol. 
    I havent had time to learn how to use it properly, but I am hoping I will get time to learn how to use it better very soon. 
    I would love to be able to use the DAZ 3d charactors, I am looking forward to the upgrades.

Dixy

Unfortunately, I don't believe you can take Daz characters into SL.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

no thats why you need to use avastar and dial your own with their parameters to look how you want

no DAZ mesh etc can be used in SL

I was looking at going the other way into Carrara from SL