Units of measure or scale

is there ANY WAY to change the units of measure or scaling in Hex, or am I stuck with 1 unit = some undifined unit that doesn't translate well to any other application?

I read somewhere that it uses 1 unit = 1cm, which is obviously incorrect, same thread says 1 unit = 10cm, which is even worse for conversions, Yes, I live in that off beat country where everything is in FEET and INCHES!

I would swear I saw the ability to change that somewhere, but cannot find it again.

Basic idea, I want to build in feet and inches, not 1 unit = x(conversion)+(some other arbitrary number) / Whatever...

Comments

• I haven't figured a way to make it work reliably. I just leave the measuring as default and do all my resizing inside of my rendering apps.

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838

No, it is not obviously incorrect. Rather, it is obviously correct. Which can be easily proven by importing/exporting objects between Hexagon and other programs and observing the appropriate scale factors.

The only time where that doesn't work is when going through the Daz Studio Bridge.

• The way I got around this was to export a cube from DAZ Studio (Primitive size = 1 yard) and exported at 100%.

Imported the OBJ into Hexagon and used the cube as a reference to make a yard ruler.

There is a unit of scale in the Preferences - Import/Export but I've never really tried it. I normally go by my ruler or a DS figure.

• ViallyVially Posts: 343

So I've done a few things to try and see what I can come up with, and from what I can see using the DAZ to Hex bridge is actually appearing to be the better idea. As with all Characters there is no real height given, so I am going on some pretty basic generalizations, but it gives me a "scale" to work with.

So I opened the DEV version of G8F in Studio and sent her to Hex. I then created a cube that is 1x1x1, and from the image you can see that just about reaches her ankle, and I'm sorry, but if you know ANYone that is 1cm from the ground to thier ankle, well, congratulations you know the smallest people an the planet. :)

The grid in the background is default, and so the cube to the front, I modified by 1 until it met the hip or pelvis point (the grid is at 5 units per line, I do not know why, but changing it gives me a headache.) So this point is at 10 units.

By the grid G8F is somewhere between 15 and 20 units. IF I am allowed to assume she was created with a height of 5'6" in mind. Then we have a scale.

10 units = 3' or 91.44cm

as a side note, in the second image you will see G8F's foot, this is a OBJ import, and based on what I can see from under her foot, the heal of her foot is "potentially" 1 unit high to the bottom of the foot arch, but her ankle is right around 10 units, putting it at roughly 3' or 91.44cm (give or take, none of this is precise.)

Thanks for the answers, John I think I did your solution in my own way, I have a yard stick :)

Size 01.png
    793 x 841 - 119K
    Size 02.png
    1243 x 837 - 311K
    edited June 2018
    Vially said:

So I've done a few things to try and see what I can come up with, and from what I can see using the DAZ to Hex bridge is actually appearing to be the better idea. As with all Characters there is no real height given, so I am going on some pretty basic generalizations, but it gives me a "scale" to work with.

So I opened the DEV version of G8F in Studio and sent her to Hex. I then created a cube that is 1x1x1, and from the image you can see that just about reaches her ankle, and I'm sorry, but if you know ANYone that is 1cm from the ground to thier ankle, well, congratulations you know the smallest people an the planet. :)

The grid in the background is default, and so the cube to the front, I modified by 1 until it met the hip or pelvis point (the grid is at 5 units per line, I do not know why, but changing it gives me a headache.) So this point is at 10 units.

By the grid G8F is somewhere between 15 and 20 units. IF I am allowed to assume she was created with a height of 5'6" in mind. Then we have a scale.

10 units = 3' or 91.44cm

as a side note, in the second image you will see G8F's foot, this is a OBJ import, and based on what I can see from under her foot, the heal of her foot is "potentially" 1 unit high to the bottom of the foot arch, but her ankle is right around 10 units, putting it at roughly 3' or 91.44cm (give or take, none of this is precise.)

Thanks for the answers, John I think I did your solution in my own way, I have a yard stick :)

What did I just tell you about the DAZ Studio Bridge? It is NOT to scale.

Export your figure to object, set the export scale to native DAZ Studio (which is 1 unit = 1cm, right above where you can choose Hexagon scale, which it also says right there to be 1 unit = 1cm).

Import the figure into Hexagon at 1.000 scale and compare it to your one unit cube. Notice something?

Unlike you, I, at no point in this process, changed the figure's scaling.

Post edited by Ascania on
  • The way I look at it, the DAZ to Hexagon bridge is for doing morphs. If you are making props for figures (furniture, clothes or weapons etc) it is better to export the charater as an OBJ file, in the A or T pose. Just export it at the 100% default setting. 

The way I look at it, the DAZ to Hexagon bridge is for doing morphs. If you are making props for figures (furniture, clothes or weapons etc) it is better to export the charater as an OBJ file, in the A or T pose. Just export it at the 100% default setting. 

Ayup. That's pretty much how it was intended when the Bridge was introduced

• You can edit the Grid in Hexagon settings: (MainMenu) Edit -> Preference Editor -> Grid -> Grid size

The default valua is 5 for whatever reason.
    Since my system is metric, I had to change it to 100.
    If you're using inches, you have to adapt accordingly.

cheeky