Making glows "behave" when lighting adjacent surface?

TurnerTurner Posts: 116
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hi all,

I'm having an issue where a glowing surface is not properly illuminating an adjacent object. Basically, a glowing lens of a light is not properly illuminating the inside edge of the opening.

I have most settings turned up pretty high. Any advice appreciated...

rendering.jpg
1000 x 750 - 70K

Comments

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Glow channel in the texture or anything glows? What are your render settings?

• TurnerTurner Posts: 116
    edited December 1969

ManStan said:
    Glow channel in the texture or anything glows? What are your render settings?

Hi ManStan,

Glow channel.

Settings attached.

Screen_Shot_2013-07-19_at_8.53_.17_AM_.png
    244 x 918 - 87K
  • ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

If the lens is a single mesh; a separate part, and simple, you might try anything glows. You can use the glow channel of a shader to light a scene, but it's touchy and iffy.
    But your render settings for doing it are right.

edited December 1969

ManStan said:
    If the lens is a single mesh; a separate part, and simple, you might try anything glows. You can use the glow channel of a shader to light a scene, but it's touchy and iffy.
    But your render settings for doing it are right.

Tried it - not working. I think it has something to do with the fact that the faces I'm expecting to light are perpendicular to the emitter... is that possible?

• wcwilcoxwcwilcox Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Tried it - not working. I think it has something to do with the fact that the faces I’m expecting to light are perpendicular to the emitter… is that possible?

I think that be the answer.

Image 2 was done with 2.2 gamma setting.

g2.png
    640 x 480 - 51K
    g1.png
    640 x 480 - 37K
    edited December 1969

wcwilcox said:
    Tried it - not working. I think it has something to do with the fact that the faces I’m expecting to light are perpendicular to the emitter… is that possible?

I think that be the answer.

Image 2 was done with 2.2 gamma setting.

Hm.... are those sitting on a white surface?

• wcwilcoxwcwilcox Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

The background was the default gray setting.

The image below was done on a white background same.

g3.png
    640 x 480 - 67K
  • CarltonMartinCarltonMartin Posts: 147
    edited December 1969

Try increasing photon count, maybe. That helps me sometimes when I have odd corners in lighting.

edited December 1969

Try increasing photon count, maybe. That helps me sometimes when I have odd corners in lighting.

Yeah, tried that - it was certainly cleaner, but the surfaces still weren't illuminated from the adjacent glowing / anything glows object.

thanks-
    Andrew