Multiple shading changing

MalusMalus Posts: 370
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I have been using carrara to import other file formats for testing to see if they import correctly and every format wouldn't work (Some would crash the program, but that is expected by now) except for fbx. Except when I import it the whole thing glows white, and all the textures/ shading have the glow set to white, and well I have a lot of pieces to this model and it take me forever and a day to change the glow to none. I was wondering if there is a way to change texture/ shading all at once. I really can't show off this model because it is a "game" model sorry.

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,043
    edited December 1969

Fenric has a very cheap plugin for sale on his site that does this.

• MalusMalus Posts: 370
    edited December 1969

I don't have any money, (I take it as that is the only option)

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Edit/remove unused masters/consolidate duplicate shaders. That should bring it down to a minimum.

But what formats have crashed carrara? LWO, 3DS, and .obj work fine. FBX and DAE are questionable. LWO may present some big shader issues, but that is dependent on what was used to save the LWO. On more then one occasion using LWO I've had to go in reset and complete rebuild all the shaders. But this will be necessary for practically everything. Even DAZ content has to have the shaders reset.

I use 3DS and obj as much as DAZ content, and very rarely have issues. I don't consider having to reset shaders an issue because different apps shaders generally aren't compatible.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,043
    edited December 1969

Fenric's plugin costs $1, MAN you must be broke!

• stem_athomestem_athome Posts: 517
    edited December 1969

If you just want to remove the glow channel from multi objects/domains, you could export the objects(the fbx model) from Carrara as an .obj file, then import that back in. That will retain the textures/colors, but will remove the glow channel.

edited July 2013

It's ten and yes I'm broke, I tried exporting it and importing it, but a lot of the textures are gone, and when I put them back on there they are distorted. Which formats you ask well .dae imports nothing at all, and obj crashes (when it didn't crash the textures were screwy) lwo crashes it, and a few others carrara doesn't support fbx import's properly except for the glowing thing (so far).

Edit: I brought the shaders down to a minimum and I still have 300 something to go.

Post edited by Malus on
  • FenricFenric Posts: 351
    edited July 2013

Um... the trial version of the Multi-Shader Editor works for 10 minutes at a time, and will change as many shaders as you need. If 10 minutes isn't long enough to get everything (can't see why that would be...), then just save your file, exit Carrara, and restart - you'll get another 10 minutes. You can continue to do that forever - the plugin doesn't keep track of how many times it's been run or anything.

So go download it and you can get your model fixed for nothing - I don't mind, really.

Post edited by Fenric on
    edited July 2013

Thank you so much.
    Sorry about having no money, I might pay for it in the future just because of how nice you are about it.

Edit: it didn't installed I follow the directions, and it didn't install, and I have parametric maps. So yeah bummer thanks though I might find a way to install it in the future and use it on other things. Weird thing is that the ones that crash carrara actually import into blender, but the texture's are screwed up. (Wendy I'm not on the crappy computer)

Post edited by Malus on
    edited December 1969

Since it is a non profit game I assume it is ok to get help from it. I have turned off the glow and and exported it as a lot of formats all of them import like the top model, the bottom model is the original fbx model. The top one is a .dae file but other file formats does that to and I need a .dae file. I'm pretty sure none ya'll will get to excited and run around with it so I will show you an image of it.

see_messed_up.png
    1100 x 800 - 632K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

300 unique textures for one game model?!? I know I'm on an older machine, but even for a modern computer with a wicked fast processor and modern graphics card, that sounds a bit extreme. Please tell me you don't have a unique texture for each window frame!

edited July 2013

It was narrowed down to 300, but one of the actions didn't go through now it is more like 10 - 15. I have about 10 UV maps with there own norms 1 or 2 specs and 1 reflection map and 2 normal color with reflections etc. for the gold and jewels. This is actually probably the fanciest model in the game besides the character. My friend said it didn't matter much as long as I don't go to far out and he seem to not mind. For some reason carrara divided the uv maps up many times over at first. When I did the commands I thought I did all them, but apparently one didn't go through so I went back through the list of actions and it cleaned more up. Some UV maps are minor and other's aren't take the windows for an example (you did want to know about them right) it is a simple shape with a complex uv map it has a uv texture, a uv reflection, a uv spec, and a uv norm on it, but it is a small image size, but the walls are huge with only a uv map and norm map. Right now we are going through the figure out wtf am I doing faze, and he is 6 hours ahead of me so I barely get a chance to speak to him so I feel like a person with a floaty in the middle of the ocean half the time, so I'm winging it and making the uv's as small as possible (Plus I can always resize some of them). With my first one I had only one uv map for it, but it did not work out the way I want because I couldn't get the details in that I wanted. If I showed you a close up of it you would see what I'm talking about, but I'm away from the work computer (I'm also accounting for people figuring out ways to do stuff they aint supposed to do so I want most of it to look decent up close)

Post edited by Malus on