A Really Good Morph Transfer Program, Plugin, or Improvement

inquireinquire Posts: 2,130
edited June 2018 in Product Suggestions

[A Really Good Morph Transfer Program, Plugin, or Improvement]That's what I'm hoping for, so that character faces and body shapes can be easily transferred across Generations, as, for example, from Generation 2 to Generation 8.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,116

I wish I could help but I have not had any programming experience in over a decade.  Basically it will take time.

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,130

Well, I'm buying fewer things now than I did before. It seems the plan is "Start all Over" when a new generation figure comes out. 

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,116

I have some ideas but that is it, just ideas.  I am planning on getting a Mac book soon so once I get the gumption to start programming I can make it work on a Mac too.  However the Mac book will not get to me until late July at the earliest.  Also right now in idea stage but need to do research and experiments first.  

My plan is to make a content transferable from one figure to another.  It might be a pipe dream but be able to convert content from DS character like Genesis to Poser character like Victoria 4.  It might be a pipe dream, but I am starting to think of it. It will be a lot of work but would it be worth it?

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,722
    inquire said:

Well, I'm buying fewer things now than I did before. It seems the plan is "Start all Over" when a new generation figure comes out. 

That is has always been the plan, DAZ needs income to survive.

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,130

Well, it could still have income without this "Start All Over" again scheme. All kinds of improvements could be added to a Generation (yes, even bones) without scrapting that generation and trying to make customers start all over again.

• inquire said:

Well, it could still have income without this "Start All Over" again scheme. All kinds of improvements could be added to a Generation (yes, even bones) without scrapting that generation and trying to make customers start all over again.

As far as I am aware you are not correct in your assertion.

• Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,758

Well, we don't need to start all over again, if you're happy with your generation 2 characters, what you'd want is something to get them wearing all the new clothes and using all the new poses. That's the difference, really. New content. The Genesis 8 characters, themselves are different. At first, when vendors were learning, they all looked like Victoria 8. Now, in time, we are getting some really varied and interesting new figures.

So if you want to have 100% customizable gen 8 figures, yeah you'd have to buy all those morph packages, but to expect the "fantasy ears and eyes" set for gen 2 to work or be transferred to your gen 8 figure is a little much. You should be using the 'fantasy ears and eyes" for gen 2 on your gen 2 figure.

If you created a locked in figure, like a character that's reoccuring, then yeah, you want to transfer and NOT lose those precise morphs and shapes - but there's also plug-ins for that already.

--------------

One more thing, don't forget- since part of this is "starting all over" you don't have to- there's not THAT MUCH new stuff that is unique to gen 8. All sorts of poses and add-ons still make a great value and if you are buying older content, you are in great luck as your prices are so doable. lol

If you're happy with Gen2 stay there. It took me a long time to embrace gen8 as I am very happy with gen 3. Two years ago, I actually started using Daz and freely bought 2 and 3 products, mostly generation 2 content as it was cheaper. My overall plan is to basically own enough products across the generations so I don't need to worry about compatibility or conversions. I haven't gone too much with V4 items except clothing and few figures for their unique skins.

I just think the gap between V4 and Gen 3 is wide- without work on your end, like shaping and shaders, etc....