Two sided materials?

Say you have a flat plain, Is there a way in hexagon to give this mesh materials on both the underside and the upper side without thickening it? Like in this example picture. The pinwheels are differently textured on both sides of the paper. Is this something that can be done in hexagon?

2cbf2d7d03fc57480056139ce81a0d1c.jpg
750 x 1000 - 163K

Comments

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838

No. Do it in your render engine.

• Syrus_DanteSyrus_Dante Posts: 983

In theory a flat plane can be textured on one side (backside will be transparent) or on both sides. But if set to show both sides it only can display the same texture (fliped around on the other side).

Single or double sided faces / polygons are defined by the so called face normals and the texture coordinates are defined in the UV map.

Since the UV map is directly linked to the face you would need to thicken it to have different textures on both sides.

This is how the 3D geometry works in common no matter which editor.

• Arah3DArah3D Posts: 31
    Ascania said:

No. Do it in your render engine.

In theory a flat plane can be textured on one side (backside will be transparent) or on both sides. But if set to show both sides it only can display the same texture (fliped around on the other side).

Single or double sided faces / polygons are defined by the so called face normals and the texture coordinates are defined in the UV map.

Since the UV map is directly linked to the face you would need to thicken it to have different textures on both sides.

This is how the 3D geometry works in common no matter which editor.

I would rather not thicken my geometry, I render in daz is there a way to double the geometry materials in there?

• ShawnDriscollShawnDriscoll Posts: 375
    edited July 2018
    Arah3D said:

I would rather not thicken my geometry, I render in daz is there a way to double the geometry materials in there?

If the points on both sides of the petals touch each other (too close), they will become one. And you'll only export junk meshes to your renderers. If the two sides of the petals are two different objects, that would be best practice.

Post edited by ShawnDriscoll on
  • AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838
    Arah3D said:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/231561/

• Arah3DArah3D Posts: 31
    Ascania said:
    Arah3D said:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/231561/

Arah3D said:

If the points on both sides of the petals touch each other (too close), they will become one. And you'll only export junk meshes to your renderers. If the two sides of the petals are two different objects, that would be best practice.

Thank you so much for both anwers!