Too dim for DIM

CbirdCbird Posts: 493
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Serious apologies for having to ask when there are so many info threads around, but could some kind soul walk me through getting a single Carrara product installed, so I can figure out where I'm going wrong?

I've tried installing Lana fourteen ways and still can't get it to work.
I've used DIM to download the file. I think I next seem to point DIM to Carrara, but that's where I start to go off the rails (and slightly crazed after an afternoon lost on this).

Eternal gratitude for some help.

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,580
    edited December 1969

In Settings (the gear symbol), go to the Applications tab and use the '+' sign in the lower left to add the path to Carrara (for example, C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\Carrara 8 Pro). Then any products which are tagged as Carrara will install to the appropriate subfolder.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,937
    edited July 2013

...now does all Carrara content need to go to hat specific location, or can it be on a different drive as long as it is mapped in the preferences? I use the D drive (my larger drive) for all my content runtimes.

I am about to install several Howie Farkes' sets and want to make sure they go to the right location as these are all fairly large.

Also, where does the Native Carrara content reside? I am unable to find it in Windows.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

I'm not up on Carrara, but the default location for Carrara-format content is in specific subfolders of the application folder. I don't know if it MUST go there. Carrara can access Poser-format content in external runtimes.

edited December 1969

...that's why I was wondering about the how critical the location for installed Carrara content is as the app. does map the Poser Runtime.

Just looked at the Country Lane entry on the documentation centre (old Artzone Wiki), apparently it seems like it might need to be in the C/Programme Files/Daz3D/Carrara folder as it uses the Carrara scene wizard which draws the different components from the various categories under the "Data" folder.

I wonder if I can uninstall and reinstall Carrara to the D drive and just have a shortcut on the desktop. Or will that not work? It's just that content installs tend to chew up a lot of space and my C Drive is one fourth the size of my runtime drive.

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

64 bit W7, programs/Daz 3d/carrara#/presets. Howies stuff needs to go there; I'm fairly sure.

On the other hand the skins aren't so picky. Put them where you like and then add the folder to your shaders tab.

But I'm used to zips, so I just unzip and match folders if need be.

edited December 1969

...bugger,.

...thanks though.

So if the application itself is installed to D:/Daz3d /Carrara instead of C:/Programme Files/Daz3D/Carrara that will mess everything up as well, correct?

edited December 1969

No, you can install Carrara to your D: drive outside of Program Files. I have all my apps installed outside of Program Files -- Bryce and Carrara in articular, since their content does get installed to the same place as the application.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,043
    edited December 1969

I ran it for a while off an external with my content but I think it was a bit slower to load and render.
    My content still on external.

edited December 1969

No, you can install Carrara to your D: drive outside of Program Files. I have all my apps installed outside of Program Files -- Bryce and Carrara in articular, since their content does get installed to the same place as the application.

...excellent.. Will reinstall tomorrow then
    edited December 1969

Yup, I have carrara installed on D because C is too close to full. No problems with it, but with Studio I had to prename folders to install to or it wouldn't work.

But then I found out yesterday V4 worked fine in carrara, morphs injected. Wouldn't in Studio. Thanks to Szark pointing out some bat files I had to run for them to work in studio.

One of my issues now is what files to download to rebuild my content library. Newer items zips are what I want, older items zips are for Mac. But its a bit confusing. I have the option of ca{carrara}, dpc, ds, studioCF, and no designation. So a 2 part file may have 15 download options. :ohh:

edited December 1969

Download the ones tagged DIM for plain zips.

edited December 1969

I don't use dim ;)

edited December 1969

You don't have to use DIM, in the Product Library the files that have the DIM symbol are the new plain, no-installer zips.

• CbirdCbird Posts: 493
    edited December 1969

Thanks to all of you so much. The follow-up questions were exactly what I needed. I normally lurk, but I do love how helpful people are in this forum!

edited July 2013

ManStan said:
    Yup, I have carrara installed on D because C is too close to full. No problems with it, but with Studio I had to prename folders to install to or it wouldn't work.

But then I found out yesterday V4 worked fine in carrara, morphs injected. Wouldn't in Studio. Thanks to Szark pointing out some bat files I had to run for them to work in studio.

One of my issues now is what files to download to rebuild my content library. Newer items zips are what I want, older items zips are for Mac. But its a bit confusing. I have the option of ca{carrara}, dpc, ds, studioCF, and no designation. So a 2 part file may have 15 download options. :ohh:

...I have 3Advanced and 4.6 installed on C but had to first create "Daz3D/Library" and Daz3D/Content folders on the D drive before installing content so it had somewhere to go.

Again, That's good news about Carrara.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

Well could be worse. Could be trying to use genesis in carrara 8.5 and expecting usable results ;-)

edited December 1969

..have you preposed a character and then imported as a.obj?

I'm hoping to be able to do this as a lot of the Howie Farke's sets I have will work well for the grounds of the Grande Estate and surrounding areas. Don't really want to have to go back to the struggle of reconstructing teen characters like my Leela and Tracey using Gen4.