Freeze up in object presets menu

mtnmenmtnmen Posts: 444
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

I have lately experienced locking up in Bryce 7.1 pro while in the objects presets directory. I actually need to create another folder for more of my obj presets that I add all the time.. Because there is so many object categories I have my cursur on the down arrow and holding it as to have the categories "scroll" down and that's when Bryce locks up and the screen goes (transparent) white with the message "not responding.... I now gingerly click the down arrow toget to the category I want... ... Am I just impatient and should click the down arrow without haste? Is this a bug? Has this happened to anyone else? Actually just curious... My World doesn't end when it happens (especially if I had just saved...)
Steve

Comments

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Hmn... I've not seen this exact bug myself but you should be aware that with all the libraries in Bryce there is a 2 Gb memory limit so it is better to have a few things in a lot of categories than everything in one. Once the memory limit is exceeded the entire category is lost and corrupted. The other thing to know is that Bryce is very bad at garbage collection, deleted items from any category still consume memory, only their pointer is lost, the data is not erased and the memory recovered for reuse. I try to limit myself to putting as much in any one category as can be displaced in thumbs in one go. This keeps things fairly nimble and also, reduced the risk of over-stuffing a category by accident.

I don't know if that helps, but that's what I know relating to this topic.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,255
    edited December 1969

@mtnmen - like David I have never experienced this issue. A library must not exceed 2 GB otherwise it is lost. I don't know the limit of libraries within a category. You can always add a folder under Presets\. I have 28 folders under Presets\Materials and in one of them 19 libraries.

• mtnmenmtnmen Posts: 444
    edited December 1969

Thank you for this info... I suspected that I might have overstuffed my presets libraries... Which makes it cumbersome to be sure... So, I will just add another folder or two as needed to avoid this..
    thanks,
    Steve

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,255
    edited December 1969

You're more than welcome, mtnmen. If you haven't got it already, this document BryceContent_v4.pdf might prove helpful.