Iray preview problem

Having an issue that just started with a scene I have been working on for some time.

When I put the viewport in Iray mode it warms up normally, but instead of starting to render the scene like it usually would it remains in the grey untextured shaded view you have while Iray warms up. Even more strangely, if I move the camera the viewport will suddenly snap to the partially rendered view I should have, for a single frame, before switching to the 1/4 manipulation res. As long as I hold onto the camera controls it will remain in 1/4 scale iray, but as soon as I let go it reverts back to untextured shaded. 

That single frame I get when I grab the camera isn't just a first render pass, it is as detailed as it based on how long I let it sit before moving the camera, which tells me it is actually rendering, but not showing it to me. If I let it sit in Iray mode it will also periodically flash to the proper rendered preview for a moment, then right back to grey scale, with none of the lag I usually get in Iray mode.

Regular renders work normally, the problem only effects t viewport Iray mode. 

This is a bizzare problem and I wouldn't be surprised if there was an obvious solution, or if I caused it inadvertantly.

Comments

• lemipslemips Posts: 23

Tried iray preview on a fresh scene with a stock figure, works fine.

I don't think I added anything to the scene I am having problems with before they started, and it would be great to be able to solve it without just starting over..

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,609
    edited December 2018

I would love to see a solution for this, as now I'm experiencing the same exact thing. It happened after adding a decal node, one of several. 

*edit* Deleting a figure from the scene and re-adding fixed the issue. Not sure what happened...would love an explanation. 

Post edited by MelissaGT on
  • sarge74sarge74 Posts: 121

Stumbled on this thread from last year. I am having the exact issue. Would love to know if anyone can help. Thank you.

• Same here, seems to be decal related, I'm getting it now I'm using wetFX decals.

• same here and I was also using wetFX decals. I deleted the decal and everything went back to normal. Maybe we should notify the vendor...

• BomberBomber Posts: 120

the5amkebab said:

Same here, seems to be decal related, I'm getting it now I'm using wetFX decals.

I ran into this issue as well. I only solved it thanks to your comment. There was a graffiti decal that was causing the iRay preview to flash in and out of view. Deleting it immediately fixes the problem. Decals appear as an object in the object list.

• cookieemonstacookieemonsta Posts: 1
    edited April 2021

Okay, just ran into this issue as well. I had 3 WetFX decals, and only deleting 1 of them that was applied to a prop fixed the issue. Hope the creator finds a fix :) and thank you for the post!

Edit: I just ran into the issue again, and this time it was with other decals I have from another creator - so this may be an Iray issue?

Post edited by cookieemonsta on
  • tfistfis Posts: 129

Same here, since yesterday.
    I didn't change anything, now IRAY preview will only appear when panning around a little bit (later even this didn't work)

Any ideas?

• tfistfis Posts: 129

After changing the resolution of one part from hd to base it worked.
    For rendering I switch back to hd, because it is hd.

weird...