Can't get geoshells to work anymore. No shaders apply.

Hello,

A couple of months ago, I found a great tutorial on using geometry shells and shaders. It worked like a dream on all my tests.

A week ago, I wanted to create an effect using a geoshell. The geoshell created fine, but none of the shaders worked on it. I went through nearly every shader I have, both 3Delight and Iray, but no joy. Even the shaders that worked during my testing did nothing. I had the geoshell selected in the Scene pane at the time.

I went back to re-read the tutorial, and as far as I can tell, I'm doing exactly the same things I was back when it worked.

If I want my *whatever* to look like it's encased in white plastic, I've got the effect nailed! Anything else, however, not so much.

Any suggestions on what could have happened to stop this from working? More importantly, any suggestions on how to get it back again?

I'm using 4.10 Pro (64 bit).

Thanks!

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155
    Did you remember to select both the geometry shell and the surface(s) you want to apply the shader to? Did you render the scene? Some shaders aren't visible until they are rendered.
  • mugwumprmugwumpr Posts: 21
    edited July 2018

I double-checked just now to make sure I'd tested it with both selected, then rendered it in both 3Delight and Iray, but still no joy.

Post edited by mugwumpr on
  • mugwumprmugwumpr Posts: 21

I think I've discovered the problem. I went into the Surfaces tab and changed the Diffuse colour for the Geoshell from white to anything else. 

Once that change was made, I had no problems adding whichever shader I wanted.

I found this by pure trial and error, so I thought I'd post it here in case anyone else is looking. None of the tutorials I've found have mentioned that step.

• tianxiangxiongtianxiangxiong Posts: 21
    edited July 2022

As of Daz 4.16 the above is still true. I also find that shader application works only the first time. Trying to change shaders fails.

That's two bugs in a single simple piece of functionality. Do better, guys.

Post edited by tianxiangxiong on