Cannot Install Bryce_7.0.0.21.exe [Solved]

GreenleafCatGreenleafCat Posts: 56
edited July 2013 in Bryce Discussion

I had this working on my last windows 7 Pr 64 bit PC now I have a new one, same OS and I get an error.
I installed the main application Bryce7.1.0.109_win32.exe and it seems to run fine.

when I run the Bryce_7.0.0.21.exe file I get the splash screen then and error box with this message:

[big red X, Error running
C:\Users\myusername\Appdata\Local\temp/InstallPathHelper.exe
CommonDocuments: SHGetFolderPathA failed with 8007002
]

I went and downloaded the vc 2005 redistributables but that didn't make any difference.

I am installing on the D drive this time, the C drive is too small for programs.

any ideas? I think this exe is just content?

Edit with solution:
pure stupidness. I had tried to follow the suggestions that came with the computer to move the c:\users directories to the d: drive; they don't move that well, windows started insisting on bits and pieces on both drives.
So at 2 in morning I tried to fix it.

See that commondocuments up there? That's a registry key in HKLM: "Common Documents"="C:\\Users\\Public\\Documents"

In all my mucking around, I deleted that c:\Users\Public\Documents directory, I did leave one that was called c:\users\public\public documents, but that wasna good enough.

once I added a Documents directory to c:\Users\Public, the content installed.
and ... and... and... DIM now works.

It's not like either the content nor DIM needs this stupid directory because I then told both of them to use the D drive.

Moral of the story, never move the user profiles.

Post edited by GreenleafCat on

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited July 2013

What size do you have for the 7.0.0.21.exe

This is as you say a content file and should be 670mb. It is possible you hhave a corrupt or incomplete download.

There is also a smaller content file this is 7.0.0.19

Post edited by Chohole on
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

I had this working on my last windows 7 Pr 64 bit PC now I have a new one, same OS and I get an error.
    I installed the main application Bryce7.1.0.109_win32.exe and it seems to run fine.

when I run the Bryce_7.0.0.21.exe file I get the splash screen then and error box with this message:

[big red X, Error running
    C:\Users\myusername\Appdata\Local\temp/InstallPathHelper.exe
    CommonDocuments: SHGetFolderPathA failed with 8007002
    ]

I went and downloaded the vc 2005 redistributables but that didn't make any difference.

I am installing on the D drive this time, the C drive is too small for programs.

any ideas? I think this exe is just content?

all you need is Bryce7.1.0.109_win32.exe . that's the last version .

try 8 times to post comment

• GreenleafCatGreenleafCat Posts: 56
    edited December 1969

It's a file I've used before on a previous PC, size 686,116 KB.
    I also am having extreme difficulty getting daz install manager to run, so I've gone nuclear and load a system restore from just after I powered on the PC yesterday.

So I may be a couple of days before I'm back :-)

My new computer has an SSD for the C drive and came with advice to move the c:/users folders one by one to the D drive. I think that now looks like a really bad idea and I think things have gotten messed up since then.
    It's not that hard to convince programs that want to put data there to put it somewhere else.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I refuse to install any programs on my C drive. I have a folder called Bryce 7 on my D drive and installed the Bryce program file there, and then made a fold for Brycre content, ran the content exes to there and then moved what needed moving into the Bryce folder.

You can download the content folder gain if you have any doubts, as everything will be in your product library in your account.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,255
    edited December 1969

SSDs are nice and fast but they have a limited write life. And they are still comparatively small. Moving all your stuff to another drive, e.g. D is certainly good advice. However, what was installed on C before is still registered as being on C in the Registry and the risk is huge that a program cannot find other parts it depends on. Best strategy is uninstall each program from C and re-install on D. Tedious ...

• GreenleafCatGreenleafCat Posts: 56
    edited July 2013

I never actually installed things on C, just on D.
    I'm back from my trip to try a restore point from before I started messing around neither that content exe nor DIM would install at that point, so I did an undo of the restore.

So even a couple of hours after booting the new PC that exe was giving that error. I'll try a redownload, although I'm on a slow DSL.

Edited to add update:

Ok, I redownloaded, it's the same size and gives the same error.

All the other Bryce content files that I have in my product library are already converted to ZIP files, maybe they will do this one at some point?

Post edited by GreenleafCat on
    edited December 1969

Bryce 7.0.0.21 is additional content. It doesn't need anything special. In this case, the installer is actually only a wraper that automatically unzips. The file size is 702,581,854 bytes. It is possible that it is cut into 2 or 3 parts for download.

edited December 1969

With Bryce 7.1 Pro you should have got:

1. Bryce_7.1.0.109_Win32.exe, 266,085,506 bytes, dated 22.09.2011 17:40
    2. BryceContent_7.0.0.21_Win.exe, 702,581,854 bytes, dataed 23.12.2010 18:36
    3. BryceLightning_7.1.0.109_Win.exe, 11,382,765 bytes, dataed 22.09.2011 17:40
    4. BryceProContent_7.0.0.19_Win.exe, 18,062,049 bytes, dataed 19.08.2012 20:04

I'm not completely certain about the file dates and times, might be those added when I had downloaded the stuff.

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

Well what you are describing is an appdata error which usually is the result of a corrupted or missing dll file but in your case it is more likely the appropriate dll is on your computer but the registry is pointing to the wrong location for it. The result of moving things around from one drive to another. If you have any programs to detect and fix registry errors you might try running that and see if that fixes it. The bottomline is something is hosed in your OS and it's unlikely you'll find the specific answer you need here in this forum. A quick simple solution is if you have a USB thumb drive and another computer try putting the file you're having trouble with on the thumb drive, take it to another computer and run it there telling the installer to put the files on the thumb drive. Then take that back to your other computer and put the content you now have on your thumb drive, into Bryce manually.