Landscape for Carrara

One other way to built landscape :
https://graphicriver.net/item/3d-map-generator-atlas-from-heightmap-to-real-3d-map/22277498?s_rank=6
I think it could be a good way to built mountains, objects or faces and then import in Carrara (.obj).

Just need Photoshop ... and $21

generator.jpg
584 x 741 - 211K

Comments

• Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on
  • SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970

Yes, I have been very disappointed at some of the terrain mapping products out there and their dependency on PS versions above PS6!   

Over the spring I have been working with QGIS which is open-sourced, and now they have released a new edition.  Between QGIS and the British Geological Survey maps, I can make my own heightmaps, then use whatever overlays I need for texture.  I am finally making real progress with my palaeo-landscapes which take up all my time now.

Simulating landscapes in 3D

ayers rock uluru qgis 3 3d window

The rumors are true. QGIS 3 now brings an interactive, fully integrated interface for you to work in 3D. A year ago, QGIS relied on plugins like qgis2threejs. Whereas now, QGIS 3 has adopted 3D natively. We’re genuinely excited about this one. It’s slick and has the power to transform your data and visualizations.

https://gisgeography.com/qgis-3/

smiley  Silene

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,970
    th3Digit said:

I see it's working again properly... there was trouble with it a while ago which was why I went looking for another source for heightmapping. You did an excellent overlay with a Google Earth image of your country if I recall?  laugh Silene

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited July 2018
    th3Digit said:

This is really cool, thank you.  I'm visiting my Dad, a former pilot and airline guy. He and I have been creating landscapes for some of his favorite travel experiences.  I've been taking the heightmaps and dropping them in Carrara's terrain modeler.

Post edited by Diomede on
  • Retro LadRetro Lad Posts: 471

BRYCE

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

Thanks J'amy that's terrific

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334

BRYCE

Flash, have you checked out Cripemans excellent tutorial, Bryce Terrains to Carrara Terrains :-

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701
    edited August 2018

I believe the newly released (open source) DCG plugins for Carrara has a DEMs (digital elevation map) converter that can take real USGS locations (and others) and import them into Carrara. It may well be able to re-work/import other formats (terragen, etc.) as well (I think it can).

--ms

Post edited by mindsong on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334
    mindsong said:

I believe the newly released (open source) DCG plugins for Carrara has a DEMs (digital elevation map) converter that can take real USGS locations (and others) and import them into Carrara. It may well be able to re-work/import other formats (terragen, etc.) as well (I think it can).

--ms

On my to-do list !!!!!