fbx export and import

Could someone please explain the correct settings for exporting and importing fbx files in carrara 8,5 to me Thanks

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

it varies wildly between years

I usually go for 2012,

Carrara has not been updated in a long time, the latest FBX import version  certainly doesn't work well.

• mhscspomhscspo Posts: 101
    th3Digit said:

it varies wildly between years

I usually go for 2012,

Carrara has not been updated in a long time, the latest FBX import version  certainly doesn't work well.

what a bummer, thanks...

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

I don't know which of the two FBX formats works better (they're both old), but both are fine for what I want to do - generally exporting to Substance Painter. I turn the texture options off, cos I don't need them.

If you're a Mac user, you need to request the FBX dll from Support, cos they accidentally left it out of the package!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

if you can export your FBX as an earlier form from another software it generally works fine in C8.5 not so much 8.1

I have the Maya trial and chose an earlier option as 2018 it came in without rigging attached

most softwares have options

DAZ studio FBX exports sadly don't work well at all, iClone 3Dxchange ones work very well, Mixamo is hit and miss for example, those I generall do a round trip into something like 3Dxchange first.