weld together

assmonkeyassmonkey Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

I made this maze

But it's made of a bunch of cubes.

Is there a way to like...weld to corners together to make them into 1 object?

Or do it not matters?

Comments

• assmonkeyassmonkey Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Well, this design is for a game level...so...yeah

I'm not sure what to do.

All pieces are connected at the corners, but as I export them, they'll all save as different files

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited August 2013

Hold down the shift key click on each one and group them...or press your left mouse button hold it to draw a square around the items you wish to group and press the G

group.jpg
    777 x 339 - 93K
    Post edited by Trish on
  • Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

Grouping usually suffices. Vertex Welding isn't one of Bryce's current powers. A group still will not create a single solid mesh. To do that you will need to follow a boolean operation exporting process. It's easy enough to do so let us know if that is what you need. Fun with Bryce!!!

edited December 1969

what's the boolean exporting process?

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited August 2013

Select each piece individually and in the little floating sub menu, click the A button to get to the object's attributes.
    In the list of options chose 'Positive' (you'll see the little radio button turn red once it's selected) for all the objects you wish to export.
    It is important to select each piece individually because if you just select them all and make them positive as a collective set, they the boolean operation will not work.

After they've all been made into 'Positve', group them together (that is a basic boolean operation).

The next step if you are going to export the object is to duplicate your group (this is only so you still have the original incase you need to edit it) and choosing the duplicate click the 'C' in it's floating menu (the 'C' will only appear in the list if the group selected has correctly been made into a boolean as described above). This will convert the object to a mesh and it should now export as one single object (usually the most reliable export option is .obj).

Post edited by Dave Savage on
    edited December 1969

Ok...I can do it. but

Why the hell is it so hard to select things in bryce?

Yes, I click on them, but they either don't get selected to another object i"m not clicking on is selected

edited December 1969

Like anything new to you, it takes some getting used to, but there are so many different ways to select objects.
    Try holding down the 'control' key while clicking on an object and a menu listing all the available objects directly under the cursor pops up. You can then chose the component you wish to select from that list. Alternatively, there is a direct selection menu at the bottom of the viewport. It is a downward pointing triangle to the left of the animation shuttle controls and if you click that, several lists pop up where you can choose, groups, meshes or single objects.

• Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 489
    edited December 1969

If you have access to photo editing software like GIMP, Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, etc. (Microsoft Paint would work too), you can create a black and white maze and save it as an image. Add a terrain or symmetrical lattice in Bryce and use the maze image in the Terrain Editor, which will allow the terrain/lattice to take the shape of the image. Everything colored white will be the walls and everything black will be the paths in-between. The nice thing about this approach is you can export the maze to another format that can be used in other 3D programs if you need to and there's no worrying about welding pieces together. I know GIMP has a maze plugin built in.

Hope this helps.

Art

edited December 1969

Oh?

Well, I'll try that little short cut for my maze maps

thanks for the tip

and thanks for the help

edited December 1969

Absolutely! Glad to help. If you need more detailed steps, let me know and I'll prepare some screenshots for ya.

Art

edited December 1969

Can I place this Maze onto a flat plane?

Only problem I seem to have with Bryce is that...you can't edit a flat ground

edited December 1969

This is something I threw together in about 5 minutes. Is that what you're after?

maze.jpg
    800 x 600 - 190K
    edited December 1969

Yeah, something like that

Guess I would need to make my own entrance

Sort of wonder if you can even solve that?

edited August 2013

The GIMP maze generator doesn't seem to ever produce a solution. :) However, you could manually paint it in a graphics program to look like whatever you want. Heck, draw it manually on a white sheet of paper with thick black lines, scan it and save it to an image, and import into Bryce. You could even check out maze images on the web and use them to produce the desired shape.

Post edited by Fencepost52 on
    edited December 1969

No, I meant

I"m not sure if the gimp Mazes are able to be solved or not

I mean...have a maze with no end...would sort of be bad

edited December 1969

I understood, but probably didn't respond to you correctly. I've never found a maze produced by GIMP to have openings that could actually be solved. It would be easy enough to have GIMP generate that standard maze and then add your own openings. Alright, gotta get off the computer for the evening....I'll check back in tomorrow and if you still need help, let me know.

Art

edited December 1969

Alright, thanks for the hint

I figured it out...this has saved me a lot of time

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Vata Raven: You can also "scroll" through your objects by using the TAB key. Also, if you want to select more than one item, hold down the Shift key as you click on additional objects.

Something not mentioned but will be of great help is to name your items/objects. With an item/object selected, click on the 'A' (attributes) next to the item/object. The long box at the top is where you type in what you want to call the object. Likewise, if you click on the colored box below the 'A' you can assign colors to that item/object, and enter a name as well. Doing this allows you to click on the colored square at the bottom right of the screen and chose which "family" you want to select.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

No, I meant

I"m not sure if the gimp Mazes are able to be solved or not

I mean...have a maze with no end...would sort of be bad

A maze with no end... well... you just wander around in a confused state until you die. That is just every day life isn't it?

edited December 1969

Yes, that's what the flat ground is there for... to place things on.

You can't make it not flat anymore no.
    You can hide it, delete it, re-texture it, turn it into water or add a bump map to it, but it'll always be a flat surface to put your other (non flat things) on to.
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Yes, that's what the flat ground is there for... to place things on.

You can't make it not flat anymore no.
    You can hide it, delete it, re-texture it, turn it into water or add a bump map to it, but it'll always be a flat surface to put your other (non flat things) on to.

Why not use the 3dplane vertical from the top bar, rotate it to be horizontal and then edit it to be the size you want, and then use that to place your maze on. Then it can be added into your group.